Football Thread 2020/2021

1 hour ago, glb said:

Nuno really is a splendid man.

(the fact food banks shouldn’t exist in a supposedly developed country obviously a whole different conversation)

And this is what riles me the fuck up when fans come and sing "sign on" at Anfield, like poverty is "bantz" to sing at the football.

Well done Nuno, what a gent. Hopefully we'll have less of the sign on chants from Wolves away fans when fans return.

(Btw, I know its not all Wolves fans, especially the lads on here, but it was very evident the last 2 home games against them, you could hear it on TV)

Always been an embarrassment that chant, but some fans gonna fan.

I know normally it’s not the done thing for those in the public eye to reveal charitable donations, but a lot of footballers do great work for charity and foundations. Don’t mind them being made public at the minute. Not least because the next time a Government no-mark digs out those in football for their supposed lack of contributions to society, they can quickly be contradicted and asked, ‘and what gave you done then, you Tory prick?’

(sorry, I know this thread is an escape for many at the minute, but needed a small vent)

6 minutes ago, glb said:

Always been an embarrassment that chant, but some fans gonna fan.

I know normally it’s not the done thing for those in the public eye to reveal charitable donations, but a lot of footballers do great work for charity and foundations. Don’t mind them being made public at the minute. Not least because the next time a Government no-mark digs out those in football for their supposed lack of contributions to society, they can quickly be contradicted and asked, ‘and what gave you done then, you Tory prick?

(sorry, I know this thread is an escape for many at the minute, but needed a small vent)

He's just been sacked by Chelsea in all fairness ;) 

But yeah, 100% agree with this. 

people been calling Kane's move of glancing at a defender then running into them trying to draw fouls for a while now - looks like he knackered one of his ankles last night doing it. 

20 minutes ago, Gotters said:

people been calling Kane's move of glancing at a defender then running into them trying to draw fouls for a while now - looks like he knackered one of his ankles last night doing it. 

Not allowed to look at opposition players now? Must have missed this rule change. It's an accidental collision. Nothing more. 

7 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Not allowed to look at opposition players now? Must have missed this rule change. It's an accidental collision. Nothing more. 

come on, really ? 

10 hours ago, Stigweard said:

Well done Nuno, what a gent. Hopefully we'll have less of the sign on chants from Wolves away fans when fans return.

(Btw, I know its not all Wolves fans, especially the lads on here, but it was very evident the last 2 home games against them, you could hear it on TV)

Ah yes - that metropolis of vibrant economical and social excellence that is Wolverhampton!!  Yep, it's a bloody embarrassment that any fans still sing that shite, let alone fans of my club.

But anyway - Nuno is a fucking legend.  We are very lucky to have him here.  A superb gesture.

8 minutes ago, Gotters said:

come on, really ? 

Yes. That clip just shows a striker going to challenge for the ball. I know people have been waiting for a gotcha moment with Kane and his so-called special move but this really isn't it. It's just an unfortunate injury. If you are that desperate to spin this narrative then good luck to you. 

31 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

Ah yes - that metropolis of vibrant economical and social excellence that is Wolverhampton!!  Yep, it's a bloody embarrassment that any fans still sing that shite, let alone fans of my club.

But anyway - Nuno is a fucking legend.  We are very lucky to have him here.  A superb gesture.

When Nuno eventually leaves I might have to have a season or two off.  It was bad enough when Mick McCarthy left!

Just to add, completely agree about 'sign on'.  I just hope we get the chance to embarrass ourselves in the stands soon.

It’s clearly an attempt to draw the foul. Kane was never going to win that header because he jumped nowhere near the flight of the ball. He jumps so early by the time the ball arrives he’s a split second from being back on the ground.

its quite clever as I've thought in the past he times it such that the contact occurs at a point it wouldn't normally in a fair leap for a ball, which makes the challenge look quite untidy and often sees the ref assume the nasty defender has clattered the striker, he goes up early sometimes to make it appear he's got a shove in the back or the defender has made a back for him to go over, or doesn't jump at all and crumples under the supposed shove.

sometimes he gets fouled too but that isn't very often in my eyes.

It must be a fairly standard tactic for most centre forwards.  (It's incredibly infuriating to see Ashley Barnes do it so early that he's landed on the ground and the defender has a free header / justifiably gets the whistle for the foul!)  I'm sure you can find all of them at it, just Kane was for completely inexplicable reasons treated a bit more leniently by referees than most attackers.

3 hours ago, Gotters said:

I don’t even think that is one of his ‘trademark’ attempts as if you zoom out (and that of course doesn’t do anything for the cause here) it’s fairly obvious he was looking more to a flick on than winning a free kick.

Thiago’s hack in Kane was far worse....

21 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

I don’t even think that is one of his ‘trademark’ attempts as if you zoom out (and that of course doesn’t do anything for the cause here) it’s fairly obvious he was looking more to a flick on than winning a free kick.

Hmm, not sure about that, it's such a half-hearted non-committed jump about half an hour before the ball arrives, it doesn't look like he was seriously competing for the ball there.

6 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Hmm, not sure about that, it's such a half-hearted non-committed jump about half an hour before the ball arrives, it doesn't look like he was seriously competing for the ball there.

View the wider shot, there is this player who Harry has good, some would say telepathic, link up play with- he is running on and the only thing that’s worth playing for there is a flick on...

If anything Hendo is holding his jump back (not suggesting a foul, good play) and doesn’t jump himself so the party trick wouldn’t work.

3 hours ago, Boothjan said:

Nuno is amazing. Imagine having the chance to greet him and perhaps get a selfie pre pandemic. @Steely :ph34r:

4 hours ago, Boothjan said:

3 hours ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

When Nuno eventually leaves I might have to have a season or two off.  It was bad enough when Mick McCarthy left!

Just to add, completely agree about 'sign on'.  I just hope we get the chance to embarrass ourselves in the stands soon.

I think it's amazing what having the right man in charge of your club can do to the mindset of some fans. We still have dickhead in our fans base (who doesn't) but I think when Klopp speaks out on stuff they are way more likely to listen and take it serious than when a celebrity or politician does. You've got a great manager there and a genuinly good man to boot.

13 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

I think it's amazing what having the right man in charge of your club can do to the mindset of some fans. We still have dickhead in our fans base (who doesn't) but I think when Klopp speaks out on stuff they are way more likely to listen and take it serious than when a celebrity or politician does. You've got a great manager there and a genuinly good man to boot.

This is true.

I'm not sure if anyone else can see this in the coaching or playing staff of their clubs, but Nuno seems to be genuinely suffering during the lockdown.  He's a guy who wears his heart on his sleeve and feeds off the crowd's love for him, but also, his wife and family didn't move from Portugal when he came here so he's clearly lonely.

His Son studies in Manchester, but I have no idea if he stayed.

Anyway, it's humbling to see someone embrace the city as he has, I've just seen the tweet from Rashford, watched the foundation video and donated.  Wish I could give more this month to be honest.

Edit:- just to add, I didn't forget last season when liverpool brought a banner with the liverpool and wolves badges on it, I think that was a foodbank thing.

1 hour ago, Mike1812 said:

Yeah I can't imagine anyone feeling like that about Jose, even if you rate him as a manager. 

Yeah it’s odd, last nights game was decided by 3 errors by our defenders/goalie and without them who knows what the result would have been - we could have won the game in the same vein we beat Man City but it hardly gets the pulse going!

While it is a results game at the moment the only hope is that Jose is trying to create a team with solid defence and can build from that - it’s been a while now and we have had some great performances but far more tepid displays with poor errors leading to draws or losses - we have got plenty of injury issues and missed both wingbacks so I’m sure the game plan had to change but I’d take Poch back as a fan because he felt integral to the club and his vision was the same as the fans!

Looking at the table, with the lack of performance of the teams around them, that Spurs side really should be doing better than sixth place.  Spurs seem capable of a lot more than they are doing, City aside everyone else isn't really pulling up trees and Jose is usually the kind of ruthless bastard who would see this kind of opportunity and jump on it.

Derby time! FcSchaffhausen hosts FcWinterthur. It's year 125 for the FcSchaffhausen, Winterthur isn't much older. They are playing about 1km from here. But at least there's a livestream. And the local radio is there. Commenting from time to time. Not live, but giving updates every 10 minutes or so. Only that you can hear them talking on the livestream, even when they are not "live". Which is a bit amusing. And a bit embarrassing as the topics they're discussing whilst offline are not always "on-topic"...