IGNORED

Football Thread 2020/2021

Gotters

20 minutes ago, Plissken said:

Anti-football!

Van Arnholt being taken out by the slight breeze of someone being near him was a contributing factor.

Palace can make any team look like  Barcelona at the moment, good job we don't have a big derby game coming up next...

I can't see any way for Hodgson to continue as our manager, the performances are so wishy washy that you can't help but feel he has lost the dressing room, after a woeful first half and being 2-0 down he made no tactical changes or substitutions.

Even the most optimistic Palace fans have no answer to this performance, and when a manager who'se main strength is countering froma solid defence, having the second worst defensive record in the EPL is a huge red flag. 

6 hours ago, skadupuk said:

Van Arnholt being taken out by the slight breeze of someone being near him was a contributing factor.

Palace can make any team look like  Barcelona at the moment, good job we don't have a big derby game coming up next...

Don't worry! You're playing us next and I can pretty much guarantee that no matter how good our possession based football is, we'll fail to score and concede to a Benteke goal in the 89th minute.

TBF Burnley look like they're on a bit of an uptick now so I'm glad we managed 1-1 at Turf Moor the other week. They were really decent in the second half.

4 minutes ago, DirkCrisis said:

Don't worry! You're playing us next and I can pretty much guarantee that no matter how good our possession based football is, we'll fail to score and concede to a Benteke goal in the 89th minute.

TBF Burnley look like their on a bit of an uptick now so I'm glad we managed 1-1 at Turf Moor the other week. They were really decent in the second half.

The difference between Palace and Burnley today has been effort/commitment, loads of players not giving a fuck, I really can't see us putting up any fight against your lot.

I went to the Palace 5-0 at Selhurst (Andy Johnson hat-trick), I can see a reverse of that.

There’s such a weird trend with co-commentators to deliver their thoughts in short whispery snippets, much like a scientist briefing a colleague whilst looking down into a microscope or someone soberly analysing a bridge or something. Neville definitely started it, but Carragher soon followed and now Jenas and Murphy do it too. It’s supposed to be exciting not adding colour commentary to a video of a dog being put to sleep.

Martin Tyler won’t mute his mic either in this game and he’s making those intermittent old man breathing noises they do when reading the paper.

12 minutes ago, Dudley said:

City are going to walk the rest of this league now aren't they?

Could only take a Devon Loch style collapse to stop them.

This ‘unpredictable’ Premier League season is pretty much done at both the top and bottom before mid-February. Sky and BT set to go big on the race for top four from here on in.

I thought us beating Liverpool today was going to be my footballing highlight, but the Sanchez face plant for Gundogan's second is my favourite footballing highlight of the year. He's managed to out-Phil Jones Phil Jones. Worth catching on MOTD later. This is the best video of it on Youtube. 

2 hours ago, glb said:

Could only take a Devon Loch style collapse to stop them.

This ‘unpredictable’ Premier League season is pretty much done at both the top and bottom before mid-February. Sky and BT set to go big on the race for top four from here on in.

Yeah, Burnley probably removed all doubt with today's win.

We're lucky we've got an excellent keeper because we were appalling tonight. Brighton seem to have our number and somehow we contrived to make things worse by performing well below our standard this season.

Kinda don't want to see Barkley start for a while.

2 hours ago, Stopharage said:

I thought us beating Liverpool today was going to be my footballing highlight, but the Sanchez face plant for Gundogan's second is my favourite footballing highlight of the year. He's managed to out-Phil Jones Phil Jones. Worth catching on MOTD later. This is the best video of it on Youtube. 

Yeah i was laughing too much at that, wasn't until the 5th watch i realized he was doing a John Terry head dive to try to block the ball. 

Also i like that clip for the orgasmic ohhhh which sounds more like Neville than Carragher.

8 hours ago, Chindie said:

We're lucky we've got an excellent keeper because we were appalling tonight. Brighton seem to have our number and somehow we contrived to make things worse by performing well below our standard this season.

Kinda don't want to see Barkley start for a while.

Since Barkley has come back from injury he’s not been up to much. I’d start Sanson to try and freshen things up. Not sure that I’d want Barkley to be a permanent signing either. Too inconsistent, and I’m not sure his attitude is right for us.

I’ve heard Brooks from Bournemouth being mentioned as an alternative.

They were incredibly lucky to win at Villa Park so I guess it's a bit of levelling out, though Brighton still come out with 4 points from us.    Emi has been sensational since signing for us, I dunno whether being on the bench for so long at Arsenal has turned his motivation to succeed up to 11 but at this moment in time £17m seems like an absolute steal for his services.  The Argentina goalkeeping position is still somewhat up for grabs, Franco Armani (River Plate) has been getting games since Romero retired but he's still not really established himself and he's getting on a bit in his own right.  Emi is definitely going to the Copa America if it happens this summer and he might sit on the bench there but the next cycle of tournaments (2022 World Cup, 2024 Copa America) have got to be realistic targets for him if he he keeps up these levels of performance. 

Anyone watching the Southampton vs Wolves game? Danny Ings is an excellent striker, I would be happy if Liverpool signed him again, it's not gonna happen though.

Is Coady struggling with the change to a four man defence? He has been lauded in recent seasons but it looks, to my limited viewing admittedly, he doesn't know how to play in a central defensive pairing.

9 minutes ago, Naysonymous said:

So you are saying Liverpool probably shouldn't sign him?

Liverpool definitely should not sign him.

12 minutes ago, Swallow said:

Coady is a converted midfielder so has only ever played as one of three CBs, rather than a traditional defender who would have grown up playing mostly as part of a back four and would be more easily able to revert to it.

Which is exactly what I said.

1 hour ago, Adrock said:

Anyone watching the Southampton vs Wolves game? Danny Ings is an excellent striker, I would be happy if Liverpool signed him again, it's not gonna happen though.

Is Coady struggling with the change to a four man defence? He has been lauded in recent seasons but it looks, to my limited viewing admittedly, he doesn't know how to play in a central defensive pairing.

Wolves played three centre backs today. 

Didn’t think he did too badly today personally