Football Thread 2020/2021

Irony is that if this were at Goodison, we'd have lost it comfortably. Our away form has been much more palatable, even if the entire season is a write-off, same as last year. Bloody Covid-19! Hopefully next year we can have a proper Derby. 

2 minutes ago, Marlew said:

, even if the entire season is a write-off, same as last year. . 

:lol:

Ah well, your saltiness over Liverpool winning the league has brought a wee bit a cheer after that abysmal game. GG Everton, about time. 

3 minutes ago, Azrael said:

Ah well, your saltiness over Liverpool winning the league has brought a wee bit a cheer after that abysmal game. GG Everton, about time. 

Premier League Champions*

2 minutes ago, Pants McSkill said:

How is that not a red card? DOGO with no attempt to play the ball.

Gotta say though, Covid or not this is the weakest defence of a title I've seen in many a year.

Because its not even a penalty. He's trying to stop the shot, slides past DCL who then runs into his head. Where is he meant to go?

9 minutes ago, Marlew said:

Premier League Champions*

Yeah that's what the record books say. You put your silly little asterix there all you want but we'd lost one game before the break so don't try and kid yourself that we weren't winning it anyway. 

At least you now know what it's like not to celebrate your biggest sporting  achievement without fans.

17 minutes ago, Pants McSkill said:

How is that not a red card? DOGO with no attempt to play the ball.

Gotta say though, Covid or not this is the weakest defence of a title I've seen in many a year.

After 25 games last season Man City were 22 points behind Liverpool and they only had a defender who cannot even get in the team injured. Liverpool are currently 16 points behind City.

https://www.premierleague.com/match/46848

5 minutes ago, ryodi said:

After 25 games last season Man City were 22 points behind Liverpool and they only had a defender who cannot even get in the team injured. Liverpool are currently 16 points behind City.

Let's also not forget Leicester, Chelsea and United defences the last decade. But I can admit at least one of them was under a huge change in circumstances. Funny how that can affect things.

3 minutes ago, Pants McSkill said:

https://streamable.com/gx2b18

That's a foul all day. You kind of say to yourself: 'tries' to stop the shot.

How can it be a foul if the shot was already taken? DCL is getting a 2nd advantage there as he gets his shot away, Alisson saves and collects the ball. The only reason DCL goes down is cause he knees Trent in the back of the head. Where is Trent meant to go?

3 minutes ago, Marlew said:

Being serious for a moment, Pickford was excellent this evening and really redeemed himself after his slip in the last one. 

Yeah, he was fantastic - couple of really good saves near the end of the first half. Who got MOM? Because he was surely in the running.

3 minutes ago, Marlew said:

Being serious for a moment, Pickford was excellent this evening and really redeemed himself after his slip in the last one. 

Aye, annoyingly probably the best I've seen him play in a long time. Especially in a Derby.

3 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

How can it be a foul if the shot was already taken? DCL is getting a 2nd advantage there as he gets his shot away, Alisson saves and collect the ball. The only reason DCL goes down is cause he knees Trent in the back of the head. Where is Trent meant to go?

Because the rules say nothing about when shots are taken, or passages of play. Tripping or obstructing another player is a foul. 
Trent slides into DCL's path and trips him. To spin your question, where is DCL meant to go?

It was called as a foul, confirmed as a foul after a VAR check, and please show me if I'm wrong here, but I'm not seeing an outcry from experts on social media that it shouldn't have been a pen. It's pretty much as nailed on a foul as you're going to see.

It's the second bit, TAA's kick out at DCL, that's the bit that is open to interpretation.

26 minutes ago, ryodi said:

According to your link, Man City had 51 points after 25 games.

Liverpool are 11 points worse - currently they have 40.

To put it another way*, your example of a weaker title defence is 27.5% better than Liverpool.

*And a completely unfair, twisting of numbers way. :D

4 hours ago, Stigweard said:

Let's also not forget Leicester, Chelsea and United defences the last decade. But I can admit at least one of them was under a huge change in circumstances. Funny how that can affect things.

4 hours ago, layten said:

I guess Asthma medication is not what it was.

2 hours ago, ukdazs said:

Cycling off this year.

Caffeine, who knew it was more potent than Spanish Beef but only for 1.7 seasons  :o