Football Thread 2020/2021

It’s been so long since Liverpool were really successful in a meaningful way that I forgot how riled supporters of other teams got and how much they delighted in them losing. It really hasn’t changed at all since the playground 30 years ago. 

Enjoy it while you can, we’ll either be back next year or it’ll just start to become so commonplace that it won’t be as enjoyable again for you for another 30 years. 

Technically Alex-Arnold should have got a red for that pen, same as Luiz the other week.

Not about intent, he wasn’t trying to win ball and denied a goalscoring chance - that’s red under the laws.

Daft but there you go.

I don’t really understand the conspiracy about the ref and the pitch side monitor. On MoTD you could clearly see him watch it back. 

Liverpool looked shocking though. Just feels like a couple of poor years of squad building have come home to roost, especially at centre half. That new lad looks like they’ve called up the groundsman’s son to fill in. 

15 hours ago, Pants McSkill said:

Because the rules say nothing about when shots are taken, or passages of play. Tripping or obstructing another player is a foul. 
Trent slides into DCL's path and trips him. To spin your question, where is DCL meant to go?

It was called as a foul, confirmed as a foul after a VAR check, and please show me if I'm wrong here, but I'm not seeing an outcry from experts on social media that it shouldn't have been a pen. It's pretty much as nailed on a foul as you're going to see.

It's the second bit, TAA's kick out at DCL, that's the bit that is open to interpretation.

DCL has a fair bit of time to get out of the way of Trent.  It's DCL falling over Trent to get the penalty.  There is so much space between the two after the shot is taken.

Put it this way, Salah did that and you'd all be calling him a diver:rolleyes:

Doesn't take away from the fact that Liverpool were woeful.

I think TAA is a bit unfortunate. Doesn't his right leg come up to try and trip DCL though? I can't tell if he makes much contact.

I think if United were given that penalty it'd feel a bit of a lucky one, but if the same thing happened and we weren't given it, I'd convince myself that it was a stonewall pen. It's one of those.

And no-one would accuse someone, even Salah, of diving when they've obviously tripped over a prone player, don't be an arse.  :lol:

4 minutes ago, Chewylegs said:

Put it this way, Salah did that and you'd all be calling him a diver:rolleyes:

Given we all know that's a foul, I really don't think we would.

Salah wouldn't do that though, his actual dive in the game was far more composed and practiced.

12 hours ago, Pockets said:

It’s been so long since Liverpool were really successful in a meaningful way that I forgot how riled supporters of other teams got and how much they delighted in them losing. It really hasn’t changed at all since the playground 30 years ago. 

Enjoy it while you can, we’ll either be back next year or it’ll just start to become so commonplace that it won’t be as enjoyable again for you for another 30 years. 

I completely forgot how respectful and civilised Liverpool fans have been since David Moyes turned United into a "mid table club"! 

28 minutes ago, spork said:

I completely forgot how respectful and civilised Liverpool fans have been since David Moyes turned United into a "mid table club"! 

Fans of all football clubs in being pricks shocker. 

2 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

I think TAA is a bit unfortunate. Doesn't his right leg come up to try and trip DCL though? I can't tell if he makes much contact.

I think if United were given that penalty it'd feel a bit of a lucky one, but if the same thing happened and we weren't given it, I'd convince myself that it was a stonewall pen. It's one of those.

And no-one would accuse someone, even Salah, of diving when they've obviously tripped over a prone player, don't be an arse.  :lol:

It's hard to say about his leg as he's getting run over from behind, but maybe, yes.

The last bit though, there would be plenty of people saying that, because you know, rival football fans hey<_<

Im glad mourinho is in the job until the end of the season though, rather than a knee-jerk sacking just because Spurs form for the last month, in all competitions 25/01-21/02, is

WLLLWLLWL

I mean, that's a lot of games...

4 minutes ago, Chewylegs said:

Why?? That's got nothing to do with what I said. 

Spork calling out divers when his team is full of them.:rolleyes:

No one is saying other players don't dive, other than Liverpool fans who seem blind to Salah constantly falling over.

Makes you think :sherlock:

2 minutes ago, spork said:

No one is saying other players don't dive, other than Liverpool fans who seem blind to Salah constantly falling over.

Makes you think :sherlock:

I assume you can't read properly, so I'll try again. If Salah had ran over a player and fallen over like Calvert-Lewin did, there would be a heap of people saying he dived IMO.  End of.

Now pop off and enjoy your side beating the mighty Newcastle with a penalty.

7 minutes ago, Chewylegs said:

I assume you can't read properly, so I'll try again. If Salah had ran over a player and fallen over like Calvert-Lewin did, there would be a heap of people saying he dived IMO.  End of.

Now pop off and enjoy your side beating the mighty Newcastle with a penalty.

Can you confirm whether Salah dives at all please? Pretty sure you're one of the ones who thinks he always stays on his feet.

:sherlock:

3 minutes ago, spork said:

Can you confirm whether Salah dives at all please? Pretty sure you're one of the ones who thinks he always stays on his feet.

Everyone dives, name me a single player that does not. They all do it some more theatrical than others.

Just now, gospvg said:

Everyone dives, name me a single player that does not. They all do it some more theatrical than others.

I know that. There seem to be quite a few Liverpool fans who seem blind to Salah constantly diving. It's all very strange.

1 minute ago, spork said:

I know that. There seem to be quite a few Liverpool fans who seem blind to Salah constantly diving. It's all very strange.

Salah, Mane are probably are two biggest culprits at LFC I would not say they constantly do it but certainly when they feel contact just like all the best strikers they will try to get a free kick/penalty. It is part of the game now and there are certainly worst players in europe who fall to ground like they have been sniped.

Just now, gospvg said:

Salah, Mane are probably are two biggest culprits at LFC I would not say they constantly do it but certainly when they feel contact just like all the best strikers they will try to get a free kick/penalty. It is part of the game now and there are certainly worst players in europe who fall to ground like they have been sniped.

If I was @Chewylegs I would get unnecessarily rude right about now and question whether you can read as this basically agrees with what I'm saying ;)

It's just the weird Liverpool fans who seem to be in denial about this and are for some reason under the impression that Salah would never dive and that it's just dirty Man United players who dive. Just wanted to clarify whether Chewy was one of these or if he was a bit more reasonable!

10 minutes ago, spork said:

Again, why? I don't need to confirm anything to you.  My posts weren't about whether the Egyptian god dives or not.

I don't ask you to confirm how much shit you talk about Liverpool, it's just a known fact.

Just now, Chewylegs said:

Again, why? I don't need to confirm anything to you.  My posts weren't about whether the Egyptian god dives or not.

I don't ask you to confirm how much shit you talk about Liverpool, it's just a known fact.

@gospvg see!

11 minutes ago, spork said:

Salah dives, sure. But I’m not sure why a Man U fan thinks they’re in a position to criticise bullshittery in football. 

A supporter of a smaller side having a go I could get, it tends to be the bigger clubs that benefit. Liverpool are one, Man U, City etc. 

Players dive. Kids up the fucking park dive these days. It’s bullshit but there you are. Sometimes it will fuck you over, sometimes you’ll benefit. 

Football is a sport of luck and interpretation more than people realise and the attempt to nerdify through stats and technology just leads to shit like VAR. People need to accept it’s a bit swings and roundabouts but it’s just a game so it doesn’t matter that much. (Obviously it matters more to me as a Liverpool fan).