Football Thread 2020/2021

Clearly this league-winning bunch of millionaire professionals are still absolutely giving it all they’ve got and any suggestion to the contrary is baseless negativity. 

3 minutes ago, Pockets said:

Clearly this league-winning bunch of millionaire professionals are still absolutely giving it all they’ve got and any suggestion to contrary is baseless negativity. 

shhhhh, you know they read your posts at HT and it upsets them.

16 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

That pressure would only exist because Rangers have developed enough to form a title challenge. 

I feel attempts to handwave the title win away due to Celtic's collapse don't give the side the credit they deserve, and smack of a face-saving exercise on the part of Celtic fans.

Fans who would, of course, have not accepted any sort of asterisk applied to their procession over much of the last decade.

There's no asterisk, and Rangers have cruised to the title. You can only beat what's in front of you and win the competition as is.

But we're assessing the level of achievement. It's much easier under zero pressure. Not sure they've been tested all that much. 

9 minutes ago, kensei said:

There's no asterisk, and Rangers have cruised to the title. You can only beat what's in front of you and win the competition as is.

But we're assessing the level of achievement. It's much easier under zero pressure. Not sure they've been tested all that much. 

Zero pressure? They’re the team in Glasgow wearing blue during a season when Celtic were going for 10 in a row.

That feeling when Liverpool lose 1 nil, at home to the mighty Fulham but your out of form side are playing an in form Manchester City in 30 minutes.

6 minutes ago, spork said:

That feeling when Liverpool lose 2 nil, at home to the mighty Fulham but your out of form side are playing an in form Manchester City in 30 minutes.

Haha jokes on you,  we only lost 1-0 8-)

:unsure::hmm:

Liverpool'woes continue, and it's got to the point where the defeats and unwanted records don't even sting now, it results more in a shrug of the shoulders. 

I know plenty will point to the injuries (valid) and having to play players out of position (true) but none of that really can explain how the team just can't score. At all. It's pretty embarrassing.

14 minutes ago, layten said:

Liverpool going for their own '10 in a row'.

Think they just want to be inaugural European Conference winners.

At what point do we start thinking about who is in this relegation battle?   Presumably Sheffield United are gone and West Brom are needing snookers, but the final spot? 

image.png.44bfcc62fa75d0c643217e23f3e43a18.png

I look at that and I just don't know.  My gut says Fulham will get out of it.  Leeds, Wolves, Palace and Southampton have too many points on the board.  Burnley are Burnley, Brighton are a good team who keep shooting themselves in the foot so I guess I'd have to say Newcastle if I were putting money down.  Fulham vs Newcastle on the final day might be one for the ages. 

9 minutes ago, Naysonymous said:

At what point do we start thinking about who is in this relegation battle?   Presumably Sheffield United are gone and West Brom are needing snookers, but the final spot? 

I look at that and I just don't know.  My gut says Fulham will get out of it.  Leeds, Wolves, Palace and Southampton have too many points on the board.  Burnley are Burnley, Brighton are a good team who keep shooting themselves in the foot so I guess I'd have to say Newcastle if I were putting money down.  Fulham vs Newcastle on the final day might be one for the ages. 

Liverpool probably. 

10 minutes ago, ryodi said:

Generous of City to give United a head start.

Do Man Utd actually sell Bruno Fernandes pens in the Old Trafford gift shop? Seems like they are leaving money on the table if they don’t by now.  

20 minutes ago, Naysonymous said:

I'd have to check, but I think Brighton have the toughest run in, with Fulham next. 4 or 5 out of the top six, IIRC.  Of the ten remaining games, Clarets have got 7 against teams posted in that graphic. 

I think 36 points should be enough.   You'd have to have Newcastle, Brighton and Fulham getting 3 wins and a draw from their remaining games and I can't see all three of them doing it.

1 hour ago, layten said:

Might be worth a bet on Liverpool next season. Without European competition to distract them it's worth a punt.

Plus the caffeine cycle can start again!

Maybe it’s like F1 and they stopped developing the 2020 car and are concentrating on 2021 regs!

2 hours ago, Calashnikov said:

Zero pressure? They’re the team in Glasgow wearing blue during a season when Celtic were going for 10 in a row.

Yeah and I'm not sure of the word for what Celtic did, but they did it and the league has been over since before Christmas. 

I don't even support Celtic, it's just whatever residual goodwill is left from my grandfather and the howling ancestral voices that preceded him. So don't begrudge you it. But I think to get the measure of the team you'd need to be up against a competent Celtic side. That might not even be possible given you are still running significant debt for Scotland and may need to sell. 

As for Gerrard, Alex McLeish has 2 SPL titles. Neil Lennon has 5. 

Still don't understand Celtic though. They should be light years ahead given the finances and you think they'd have taken no chances for the opportunity to crow for probably all time. Instead they got Shane Duffy. 

On 28/02/2021 at 18:01, JamesTW said:

Man Utd playing a ‘Top 6’ side, guess what? it’s 0-0

Yet another clean sheet against the so called 'top 6'. One more and we'll have the same number as home games Liverpool have lost in a row!