Football Thread 2020/2021

Gotters

4 hours ago, DirkCrisis said:

We didn't throw away a game in the last 5 minutes!

Pleased to see Lallana get another full 90 in and Zequiri looks like he might be useful. Decent game management. On to Newcastle next.

Lallana was excellent until the last 5 minutes or so, blowing out of his arse. The lack of match fitness was quite clear.

Amazing Spurs performance there, utterly crap but undone by a dodgy penalty and a deflection - even with 10 men we made more chances than that lot but we were awful so deserved very little for the game - the curse continues.

34 minutes ago, humdrum said:

Do you genuinely not think it was a penalty? I know I am biased the other way, but it seemed pretty clear.

I agree with Lacazette so it wasn’t a penalty, if anything he fouled Sanchez but the union couldn’t change the decision.

Backed up by the authority of Jamie Redknapp, who described the incident as “reckless”, “missing the ball and clattering into Lacazette”, “catching him knee-high”. You’d think all that would mean he thought it was a clear penalty but, for reasons only known to Jamie, he apparently did not.

18 minutes ago, The Fox said:

Backed up by the authority of Jamie Redknapp, who described the incident as “reckless”, “missing the ball and clattering into Lacazette”, “catching him knee-high”. You’d think all that would mean he thought it was a clear penalty but, for reasons only known to Jamie, he apparently did not.

Cant possibly think why Redknapp would side with Spurs

I'm looking forward to the Monday Dale Johnson (ESPN bloke) write up of the big weekend decisions and VAR as I'm not really sure what the argument with the Lacazette penalty is about - and I'm referring to the argument from a laws of the game perspective, not a 'well I've seen them given' or 'what about away at Brighton last year when we never go a stone waller on Kane'.

It seems unarguable to me he fluffed the shot totally, the ball was a foot or two away from him, and he got clattered by the defender trying to block. How do the laws view the missed shot and the ball being away from him with regards to the clattering - to my mind it doesn't matter and it's correctly given as a pen but awaiting the considered view.

It's a pretty wild challenge that connects around the knee. It's a foul in the box so it's a penalty, end of story. I think it's just trying to eek a bit of interest out of a low stakes game between two teams who aren't doing that well.

The one no-one discussed on the coverage was this characteristically "clever" bit of play from Kane. 

image.thumb.png.7d4deaa6779665c0fae82d5cbaed59c5.png

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

It seems unarguable to me he fluffed the shot totally, the ball was a foot or two away from him, and he got clattered by the defender trying to block. How do the laws view the missed shot and the ball being away from him with regards to the clattering - to my mind it doesn't matter and it's correctly given as a pen but awaiting the considered view.

Just watched the two minutes highlights - on the first glance I thought that it was a bit harsh as the defender seemed to be trying to block.  However, with the behind the goal view, it's a clear clattering.  If Lacazette had connected with the ball, he's still going to get completely wiped out afterwards so the defender being late and not in control of his movements would be a justifiable reason to give it.

Kane now seems to be in the territory that Shearer once occupied that he can get away with whatever he wants every week not only with the refs but also with the pundits who seemingly don't want to call him on being both a cheating diver and nasty bit of work.

He's a great striker, I'm so impressed with what he's added to his game and what he is capable of in an attacking sense, he's also a snide cheat who is quite happy to injure other players, which as somebody who suffers with quite a few injuries himself does mark him down as somewhat of an unpleasant individual.

4 hours ago, Gotters said:

Kane now seems to be in the territory that Shearer once occupied that he can get away with whatever he wants every week not only with the refs but also with the pundits who seemingly don't want to call him on being both a cheating diver and nasty bit of work.

He's a great striker, I'm so impressed with what he's added to his game and what he is capable of in an attacking sense, he's also a snide cheat who is quite happy to injure other players, which as somebody who suffers with quite a few injuries himself does mark him down as somewhat of an unpleasant individual.

Just watched that Kane foul. Was expecting something horrendous. It's yellow card offence at best. Calm down.

You'll have to show me the massive list of players that Kane has injured.....

It's the intent, when you go in elbow first or make a back to drop a player from height you are not in control of what happens next and how the opponent falls or gets battered - it's a pretty snide way to play.

when he eventually gets a red you'll get a twat like Jamie Rednapp going 'he's not that kind of lad' - well he is, he really is.

Why the focus on Kane? he isn’t the only one and the Arsenal fans in here who constantly post about it seem to forget their entire period of success was built on dirty tactics and fouls - I would say short memories but it’s been a while.. The irony on Lacazette doing a couple of ‘Kane’ lean in fouls of late just points out his signature move is the same as forwards have been doing for years - leaning in to the defender to shield / win the ball but suddenly Kane is the first person to ever do it and it’s a shocker...

I agree he made a yellow card foul yesterday and got away with it much like many players did this weekend - it’s part of the game for better or worse - the foul on Lucas could have done serious damage but not a mention...

1 hour ago, Shimmyhill said:

Why the focus on Kane? he isn’t the only one and the Arsenal fans in here who constantly post about it seem to forget their entire period of success was built on dirty tactics and fouls - I would say short memories but it’s been a while.. The irony on Lacazette doing a couple of ‘Kane’ lean in fouls of late just points out his signature move is the same as forwards have been doing for years - leaning in to the defender to shield / win the ball but suddenly Kane is the first person to ever do it and it’s a shocker...

I agree he made a yellow card foul yesterday and got away with it much like many players did this weekend - it’s part of the game for better or worse - the foul on Lucas could have done serious damage but not a mention...

Lacazette did the Kane back thing twice in one game, it's not something I've seen him do regularly.

My focus on Kane is I think he's a horrible piece of work, there are many divey cheats in the league, and always a few nasty bits that set out to clatter opponents with bad intent, the two aren't often present in the same player, and also one who happens to be a world class striker.

I don't think Wenger's Arsenal was necessarily built on fouls and dirty tactics. Seems a bit reductive to me, but I guess that's a matter of perspective. Still, nice to have had a period of sustained success to debate I suppose.

I'm going to have a pop at Kane at every conceivable opportunity as – let's be perfectly clear here – I'm a shit-eyed hypocrite and as biased as they come about everything to do with Spurs. I'm too old to change now. 

My issue with the Kane challenge is that he wasn't booked, the ref didn't even talk to him afterwards. Lamela got a second booking for tackle that was just as bad a few moments later and I didn't see the ref signify that it was due to the totting up procedure so was just for that tackle.  

12 minutes ago, ryodi said:

My issue with the Kane challenge is that he wasn't booked, the ref didn't even talk to him afterwards. Lamela got a second booking for tackle that was just as bad a few moments later and I didn't see the ref signify that it was due to the totting up procedure so was just for that tackle.  

Your problem is with the referee then. It's clearly a foul and probably a yellow. It's hardly the assault some people are making it out to be. 

I’m not sure why fans get all sensitive about criticism of their team’s players yet gleefully highlight apparent personal flaws in those of other teams. Football fandom hypocrisy is a strange thing. Not one team is full of angels and every team has their share of snide and dirty players, every player in every team will acrobatically go down in the box under the slightest provocation and every team will take whatever inch they can, through fair or foul means, to gain an advantage. The ‘my team is holier than thou’ arguments are blinkered and tiresome. 

I think everyone who hasn’t got shit in their eyes can say that Harry Kane is an extremely talented player who is prone to committing a snide challenge or two to win the ball or draw a foul. 

Just now, Oh Danny Boy said:

I think everyone who hasn’t got shit in their eyes can say that Harry Kane is an extremely talented player who is prone to committing a snide challenge or two to win the ball or draw a foul. 

Yep. Its the blinkered fans who think Harry Kane is the only strong centre forward who has ever used his size and strength to his advantage that annoy me. You'd think he was John Fashanu'ing people the way he is talked about.