Football Thread 2020/2021

Also the argument about playing resources only goes so far. NI have even more scant resources than us, but they pulled players where they could and fashioned a system around them. There's no talk of playing like Pep. Irish managers have tended to be fairly sniffy about Scottish Premiership players, but NI have made good use of those playing the SPL. 

The job of the first team manager needs to be qualification. That drives income for the association to reinvest and it generates moments that inspire the next generation and engages the country. Beating Italy in the Euros does that. Playing slightly prettier football to be beat by Serbia does not. 

Divorce the rest of setup from the first team manager if need be and focus everything on fixing the coaching and development. Then as that feeds through start the process of change at that level. 

57 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

I'm not sure I follow - it's not a sport if the poorer performing teams are given support, but it is a sport when a select few are allowed to dominate through financial power?

Which they generate through success so yes pretty much.

Penalising people for winning isn't sport, it's a school sports day with a lot more adverts.

If America run their country like their sports and their sports like their country it'd be a lot better.

4 minutes ago, Naysonymous said:

Watching the England game and Harry Kane is so bloody good isn't he?   

Aren't they playing 4 milkman and 7 refuse operators again though?

42 minutes ago, kensei said:

McClean is not part of the diaspora and would be apocalyptic at even the hint of the suggestion. 

I isolated him because he's a player who was born in the territory of another national side, so his choice to represent Ireland is at the expense of Northern Ireland, and he did represent them at youth level. Certainly though, I consider him as Irish as you or me.

Wait, that doesn't work. As Irish as Keane and Coleman.

Raheem Sterling is just a fucking awful finisher and striker of the ball. Always has been. It’s what stops him being world class, nowhere near ruthless enough.

Ashley Cole has had a shocker tonight, this was his chance to stake a claim for the team but he's blown it. I can't imagine he'll be on for the Poland match.

6 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

Is this the policy of finding British players with Irish grandparents and aggressively courting them when they are teenagers showing it’s papering over the cracks when some of those players decide to play for the country where they were born and raised instead?  I’m sure having Grealish and Rice in the team would probably see Ireland in a better place than they are right now but Ireland should be producing better footballers.  I remember some drama  when it came out that the FAI were spending most of their money on lining John Delaney’s pockets, is this situation caused by his regime?

As a Palace fan I'd like to take this moment to remember that fact that one of my favourite Palace players ever, Clinton Morrison (rechristened Clinton O'Morrison) Sarf Lahndan born and bred (Tooting/Mitcham) was capped 36 times by Ireland by virtue of his grandmother taking a holiday there once.

My favourite moment was when Sky were interviewing him and started asking him questions about his newly adopted home nation and one question where the answer was Giant's Causeway was met with the excited response "I now this one, I know this one,  it's the Blarney Stone innit!" in a full South London accent.

He's a funny bloke and full of mischief so very difficult to know if he was being sly or not, but the interviewers face was a treat.

12 minutes ago, skadupuk said:

As a Palace fan I'd like to take this moment to remember that fact that one of my favourite Palace players ever, Clinton Morrison (rechristened Clinton O'Morrison) Sarf Lahndan born and bred (Tooting/Mitcham) was capped 36 times by Ireland by virtue of his grandmother taking a holiday there once

My favourite moment was when some of the Ireland squad were relaxing during training up with a quick game of Gaelic football, which completely flummoxed Morrison.

3 hours ago, kensei said:

NI have even more scant resources than us, but they pulled players where they could and fashioned a system around them

They have, but it's worth remembering Michael O'Neill won only one match in his first eighteen. It can take time to create a system, whatever the style of play on offer.

5 hours ago, artz said:

Ashley Cole has had a shocker tonight, this was his chance to stake a claim for the team but he's blown it. I can't imagine he'll be on for the Poland match.

He is seriously shit, don’t think he does any prep just turns up 

17 hours ago, dizogg said:

Raheem Sterling is just a fucking awful finisher and striker of the ball. Always has been. It’s what stops him being world class, nowhere near ruthless enough.

He doesn't seem easily able to, when dribbling, shift his feet in preparation for a shot, he runs in a particular way where there's no end to it, he puts his head down and carries on, and on, and on, the ball always under him. 

It doesn't seem that difficult a thing to improve on. Given how players talk about team mates staying after training to practice free kicks as though it's this amazing feat of great sacrfrice, I'm not convinced players are that dedicated to improving specific parts of their game. Sterling repeats the same mazey runs into the box most games but it always seems like he's venturing into the unknown and he's not clear on what the aim is. 

He's a distinctive player at least, he puts a lot of personality into hesitating in front of the keeper, there's a particular way he does it that's likeable even while it's frustrating. 

Before Guardiola turned up at Man City i wondered if Sterling could replicate the heights Robben reached, he was most prolific under Pep and is most similar in dribbling style to Sterling. I can't really remember how intrinsic the Robben cut inside curler was to his early game, but he's always looking to shoot and the dribbling is just to get there. I think everyone agrees Robben is one of the best wingers ever and Sterling, while in the top 50 players in the world isn't a legend of the game. 

Looking at Sterling's goal stats though, 113 in 281 is pretty impressive for a winger. Robben at Bayern was a goal ever 2.1 games, Sterling is 2.4. 

Haha Clinton Morrison.  Yeah I remember him when living in South Norwood (where Crystal Palace is based), definitely amused me to see him playing for Ireland.  But let's face it, he wasn't going to play for England, so he took his chance there (and why not?).

Ireland's setup has been a disaster for decades.  As much as Roy Keane comes across as a total nutter, he seemed correct about how bad it was in the 2002 FIFA World Cup (which made him walk out).  I just wished that he just stayed for a game longer, cos with him in the side they could have beaten Spain.

I can see why it's tempting to half arse punditry, if you're one of the ordained (i.e - you've ever played for England and/or Liverpool) then you've got a job for life so why put in more work than you have to.

Personal pride?   Do well enough and you'll get a gig at Sky and then have a researcher do everything for you anyway. 

Also:  Robert Lewandowski is injured and will miss the England game.   

It'll have to be the 2nd one.

Because if you want 10,000 fans in the first one, at 2m apart they'll still be in Wembley way the next day trying to leave.

Aguero to leave Man City after a decade.  I don't think that he has been truly appreciated in this country.  Probably because you get used to overall excellence, as opposed to out of your seat at a magical moment.  He's one of those players who just does the right thing, every time.

Yeah, it's been on the cards for long time.  Spending most of the final 18 months of your contract injured when you are approaching your mid thirties isn't a compelling reason for the club to renew.  

As for his legacy?  I just happen to think a lot of his "he's underappreciated" thing is down to Aguero wanting it that way.  He's not flash, he doesn't really do social media, he's not a rent-a-quote, he's not one of those players away fans love to hate even though he scores so many goals. He just seems to like the quiet life (or as quiet as it can be when you are a starting striker for Man City and Argentina) and therefore he's not really spoken about all that much.  I'm sure he could have been a lot larger figure in popular culture had he chosen to be. 

I'm curious as to if City go big to replace him.  They don't need to, but Haaland is probably on the market this summer, his dad is an ex Man City player and he's probably good for at least ten years.  Will they go there? 

you can only get a wildcard though if you've qualified for some kind of European football thru league placing or cup wins - so Liverpool at present this season wouldn't get a wildcard spot as are out the EL qualifying spots.

so its a bit of a safety net but not a full one.

plus they are all squabbling over details regarding future broadcast rights so the meeting to ratify the format is now not happening tomorrow.

2 minutes ago, Gotters said:

you can only get a wildcard though if you've qualified for some kind of European football thru league placing or cup wins - so Liverpool at present this season wouldn't get a wildcard spot as are out the EL qualifying spots.

so its a bit of a safety net but not a full one.

plus they are all squabbling over details regarding future broadcast rights so the meeting to ratify the format is now not happening tomorrow.

No, the wildcard slots are fucking bullshit and they are also the only reason these reforms were pushed through.  Once sides like Milan, Liverpool, Arsenal, Man Utd & Chelsea started to miss out on Champions League football this has freaked a lot of those old G14 clubs out, hence this insurance policy.