Football Thread 2020/2021

I fucking hate the use of the Verve song for ITV's England coverage, I'm at breaking point. It's 24 years old now. Not that they've used it for every year of the last 24 years but they might as well have for all that it feels like they have. Are they going to spend the next 26 years unable to contemplate using any other song in existence so that kids ask their parents; what is that fucking song they keep playing and parents reply; oh just something that came out half a century ago lol.

It's only a few seconds compared to the long agony of the England band and yet the pain is comparable. 

I though Macedonia was only something I ever heard referred to by Dan Carlin in Hardcore History podcasts (he always uses a hard 'c' to say Mackedonia, not Massedonia if you want to score pedant/cock points today)

Didn't realise it was a country again, is it one of these ex Yugoslav states where all the players come from the same set of tower blocks and went to school together, welling up with tears up as the anthem is played whilst they honour their war dead & heroic historical figures ?

56 minutes ago, Gotters said:

I though Macedonia was only something I ever heard referred to by Dan Carlin in Hardcore History podcasts (he always uses a hard 'c' to say Mackedonia, not Massedonia if you want to score pedant/cock points today)

Didn't realise it was a country again, is it one of these ex Yugoslav states where all the players come from the same set of tower blocks and went to school together, welling up with tears up as the anthem is played whilst they honour their war dead & heroic historical figures ?

I know that recently had to add the 'North' to their name after a dispute with the region of Macedonia in Greece. And Gjianni Alioski plays for them. That's my entire knowledge of Macedonia. 

This is only the third time the Germans have lost a World Cup qualifier. The previous two occasions (Portugal 1985, England 2001) saw them go on to reach the final of the same World Cup. 

Looks like 4,000 ‘locals’ will be allowed to attend the FA Cup semi-final between Leicester and Southampton.

Not sure what’ll sound worse, an empty stadium, or 4,000 neutrals in a 90,000-seater stadium. Ah well, got to start up somewhere and at least the players won’t feel quite as much like they’re rattling around in a glorified training match.

The big problem with opening up grounds, especially Wembley where there are no local fans, is going to be the travel/pubs rather than accomodating limited capacity in the actual ground.

I still don't know how the Euro's are going to work with UEFA insisting a certain number of fans must be allowed into every game as even if you can block fans from other countries - the people from the country hosting the game with tickets  will be dotted around the entire country.

8 minutes ago, Ork1927 said:

The big problem with opening up grounds, especially Wembley where there are no local fans, is going to be the travel/pubs rather than accomodating limited capacity in the actual ground.

I still don't know how the Euro's are going to work with UEFA insisting a certain number of fans must be allowed into every game as even if you can block fans from other countries - the people from the country hosting the game with tickets  will be dotted around the entire country.

The report I read suggested ‘Wembley residents’ will get the tickets, but what’s to stop them selling their tickets on?

Even with travel restrictions in place, in no reality is every station/travel point about to be policed. Anyone stopped near the ground will just give the address of whoever they bought the ticket off, and further out there will be no barrier to entry.

The Euros would be better off being relocated to one location like last season’s European club competitions. Earlier this season I half-expected Qatar to get them as a test event for the World Cup (because all pretence of logic with sport and the pandemic went out the window a long time ago)

Just now, glb said:

The report I read suggested ‘Wembley residents’ will get the tickets, but what’s to stop them selling their tickets on?

Even with travel restrictions in place, in no reality is every station/travel point about to be policed. Anyone stopped near the ground will just give the address of whoever they bought the ticket off, and further out there will be no barrier to entry.

The Euros would be better off being relocated to one location like last season’s European club competitions. Earlier this season I half-expected Qatar to get them as a test event for the World Cup (because all pretence of logic with sport and the pandemic went out the window a long time ago)

You can see the headlines about tickets being for sale online for £twelfty bucks coming soon and the Southampton and Leicester fans are going to be very tempted to buy them.

Fuck knows what they will do for the final if it isn't restrcited to 'locals' and the two finalists get 3/4,000 tickets each. Chelsea/Man City fans wont be too upset to miss out as they've had plenty of cup finals they could have attended.  But I think its worse for the Leicester/Southampston fans that can't go when some will than if the whole thing was behind closed doors.

I suppose if they're checking ID for ticketholders it'll be easy enough to enforce. And with such relatively low numbers they could probably do that as part of the standard security checks they've always had.

I’m imagining a suit from the FA going door-to-door in Wembley on the morning of the semi-final, “Hello, would you like to go to the football?”

Maybe they should just offer the tickets to anyone looking bored in the Ikea next door.

Talk of Haaland being hawked around European clubs for around £130m.

Has to be off to Man City, no? What with Aguero leaving. Pep would probably play him as a winger and somehow double his threat.

Raiola pimping round with Haaland's dad in Spain yesterday, Real & Barca. Had been in Dortmund the day before getting their terms.

The favourable release clause doesn't kick in til the following summer so Dortmund can play hardball this window with winter left to have another shot at squeezing the pips out of it - not sure how either Madrid or Barca afford him unless they get some more training grounds rezoned to development property like last time, they're both potless.

That said if you do pay the release clause the next time round you can only imagine the agent fees on top for getting such a prize asset at a knock down price - it won't be a bargain when you add it all up.

He'll go to City, I don't want him at United anymore, we can't afford to get hi and other players at the same time, so would rather have 2/3 decent players to improve the squad, instead of one mega star striker, who get's fuck all service from a middling team around him.

2 hours ago, MikeBeaver said:

He'll go to City, I don't want him at United anymore, we can't afford to get hi and other players at the same time, so would rather have 2/3 decent players to improve the squad, instead of one mega star striker, who get's fuck all service from a middling team around him.

That’s a fair point. £130m is an extraordinary amount of money for one player, and imagine it will end up being a little higher if a few parties are genuinely interested.

Barca or Real will no doubt happen across some money they’ve previously ‘overlooked’. Although in Barca’s case, getting Messi off their books will free up about three transfer windows worth of money in no longer having to pay his wages. Wonder if they’ll roll the dice.

His dad played for City, right? In the olden times of traditional football he’d be going there for sure and it’d be lovely. Are Man U seriously interested in him? Roy Keane’s old team and shit? :blink:

On 01/04/2021 at 15:23, glb said:

On 01/04/2021 at 15:29, Ork1927 said:

You can see the headlines about tickets being for sale online for £twelfty bucks coming soon and the Southampton and Leicester fans are going to be very tempted to buy them.

Fuck knows what they will do for the final if it isn't restrcited to 'locals' and the two finalists get 3/4,000 tickets each. Chelsea/Man City fans wont be too upset to miss out as they've had plenty of cup finals they could have attended.  But I think its worse for the Leicester/Southampston fans that can't go when some will than if the whole thing was behind closed doors.

There aren’t any travel restrictions at the moment tho!?

11 minutes ago, Dudley said:

You're not allowed to make unnecessary trips.

I'm not sure Wembley sells many essentials.

There's a Tesco Metro over the road.

20 minutes ago, Dudley said:

You wouldnt say that if you’d been to the Lindt store pick n mix in the designer outlet there. We spent about £60-70 in early Dec before last lockdown

6 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

There aren’t any travel restrictions at the moment tho!?

Are there not?!

See you all for the fourth lockdown in a few months :bye:

11 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Chelsea doing their best to make this entertaining.  West Brom responding by burning through defenders like it's christmas.

This is brilliant, 1-4 to WBA? :lol:

3 hours ago, Dudley said:

Nothing to enforce it, it’s advice - much like you should not vs must not in the Highway Code. The only thing you can’t do is stay away from your main residence overnight and even then there are enough exemptions you would find it hard to enforce.

2 hours ago, glb said:

Are there not?!

See you all for the fourth lockdown in a few months :bye:

Stay at home has ended, as above for the rest!