Football Thread 2020/2021

27 minutes ago, Dudley said:

A 2 minute silence before every game because Greek racist nonces are more important than normal people.

Juxtaposed quite starkly against a kneel to raise aware of racism. 

Br Great if Jose's legacy at Spurs is rendering Deli Ali an ineffective bench warmer and pissing off Harry Kane so much he requests a transfer.

At 28y old I'm really not sure what Kane's value would be in the transfer market at present - don't get me wrong I'm not questioning his ability or goal scoring, and the fact he may be suited to a more playmaker type role as he gets older, just he's a smidge too old to get that top dollar, is accumulating some injury miles on him and isn't quite as exciting a signing as say Mbappe or Haaland.

Can see why Spurs would slap £120m on him but that doesn't feel achievable in these post Covid times. Not sure who would go for him either, kind of feels like Utd or PSG would be the only teams with deep enough pockets who would want him, maybe Juve. Can't see City, Barca, Madrid being that keen (or able to afford it in the latter case).

Sure, in this case it’s wiping out a Liverpool goal, but that VAR line stuff is bullshit regardless. They just put the lines where they want to make it look how they want. I’d say the same if it was a Man U goal. 

I’m not especially annoyed about the goal being ruled out, not like it’ll make a difference to our season, but the fucking pernickety fucking about that’s so arbitrary. If that guy drawing the lines had wanted to he could have made it look onside. He just happened to want it to be offside this time. 

5 minutes ago, Gotters said:

there are a lot of issues with VAR at present but when you see it used properly like in the Liverpool game just now I'm a big fan of it.

Oh do fuck off you boring troll.

Using VAR like this is destroying football. No one like this. They don't have the technology to measure it to the frame when the ball leaves the foot so why is it OK to measure these offsides to the mm.

That's level as was last night's and using it like this is an utter joke.

Just now, Stigweard said:

Oh do fuck off you boring troll.

No one like this.

rude, can see that legendary & always hilarious scouse wit has bypassed some of the fanbase.

plus don't speak for everybody, I like it, as that Infantino says it adds drama to what can otherwise be dry boring games.

5 minutes ago, Pockets said:

I’m not especially annoyed about the goal being ruled out, not like it’ll make a difference to our season, but the fucking pernickety fucking about that’s so arbitrary. If that guy drawing the lines had wanted to he could have made it look onside. He just happened to want it to be offside this time. 

Of course it would. A win today puts us into 4th. With the CL looking like it's done after Tuesdsy, we still have a chance of 4th, it's all we have left. It's a slim chance, but its doable if people around us stay as inconsistent.

The tech doesn’t even work. You’ve got people drawing lines all over a picture which can’t even show exactly when the ball left someone’s foot, because of the technological limitations of the cameras used. It’s farcical. 

Needs scrapping. In fact loads of things need fixing in football, like not being able to touch a keeper, or delicate collisions in the box resulting in penalties. The game is in a right state at the moment and I can’t see it getting better. 

If I remember my maths from last time, if an offside is by less than 6in to a ft on VAR there is a chance it was not in reality offside.

And that's if you trust they're drawing their little lines on a TV screen exactly perfectly correctly.

Again, I said this before but if you need to be drawing lines to measure the most minuscule of distances than common sense says that the goal should be given. Otherwise you’re leaving it up to interpretation to some faceless person who isn’t accountable to their decisions. Secondly the idea of measuring these distances is so miserly a concept as the general purpose is to find any means to rule out a goal that’s beyond the control of any player involved during that moment. 

As I said before VAR should only be used to correct clear and obvious errors. Using it any any other way just feels against the spirit of the game. 

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

there are a lot of issues with VAR at present but when you see it used properly like in the Liverpool game just now I'm a big fan of it.

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

plus don't speak for everybody, I like it, as that Infantino says it adds drama to what can otherwise be dry boring games.

Ha ha ha. You don’t like football. Simple. Get out.

In addition to the correct points above about the inaccuracy of determining the exact moment of the pass, there's also the fact that these tests are being conducted in two dimensions, using a camera that is ill-positioned for such a test.

The only two viewpoints that can really be used for a decision are a perfectly overhead camera, and a perfectly side-on one. Anything else leads to errors of perspective creeping in depending on the angle involved.

The commentary on Sky at the time were discussing how well goal-line technology was introduced and few people quibble about the decision being made on a matter of millimetres, without either of them recognising that that technology works using multiple high speed cameras to construct a 3D model (of a spherical object, no less!), rather than being a bunch of men in full kit trying moving lines around a single flat image.

14 minutes ago, neoELITE said:

Everyone should want Liverpool to win surely! It's only right. After all, they invented football.

Invented AND perfected it :blah:

Madrid basically handed the ball away for 12 minutes and all it took was Alba trying to tackle and completely missing for Real to score. And now a stuffy deflected goal from a free kick. The most 'smash and grab' game you will see. 

I can't stand Madrid tbh. They've been effective in this game so will get praise but there's no idealism or romance to their football. There's barely any football there. They've had a midfield of Kroos, Modric and Isco for years and individually they're all sublime but as a team i find them a chore. 

63% possession for Barcelona. Madrid dangerous on the break, sure. I don't think it's hard with acres of space though. I don't think Zidane will ever get the acclaim his trophies suggest he should because his teams are shit to watch. I wouldn't be surprised if they win la liga and the champions league again. 

Dear god Dembele up front! Ball passed to him on the penalty spot and he doesn't know what to do. His Barcelona career has basically been injury and scoring late goals from acute angle. On the half volley. 

That earlier square pass you think is a certain goal if Courtois doesn't excellently dive down but then i don't think it's a certainty Dembele scores because as two footed as he is he doesn't seem that flexible as a player. He's not able to run at any players positioned centrally where he is, which apart from the late goals is his biggest strength. 

Barcelona absolutely trash in that half - they're losing their minds when Madrid run at them in straight lines. And they should be 3 or 4 down. Pity Messi didn't score that corner at the end though, just to make it interesting. 

51 minutes ago, ryodi said:

Kick off times for games next Saturday might be rearranged to avoid clashing with Phil’s funeral

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/apr/10/sporting-bodies-fixtures-prince-philip-funeral

I expect the funeral will have an hours long build up like FA Cup finals of yore.

Hopefully with a little 5-a-side game before hand, just like the good old days (which only ITV ever showed).

10 hours ago, ryodi said:

Kick off times for games next Saturday might be rearranged to avoid clashing with Phil’s funeral

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/apr/10/sporting-bodies-fixtures-prince-philip-funeral

I expect the funeral will have an hours long build up like FA Cup finals of yore.

Fuck sake.

Although to be fair, a huge number of the flag shaggers on twitter seem to post about only doing a racism and football so it might be target market at least.