Football Thread 2020/2021

11 hours ago, Pockets said:

I understand the being grateful for success and all that but accepting less because you had some success is not the attitude Liverpool, or their fans should have. Have some fucking pride, don’t feel ashamed to ask ‘please sir’ for more. 

The biggest teams don’t stop, they have a constant desire for more success. Fail maybe, but don’t start accepting failure, that’s loser talk. And I’m meant to be the downer!

Careful now, you’re half a season away from LFTV with talk like that...

13 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

My son is of that age, his mates at school (in the English West Midlands) all support Liverpool, Man City and Barcelona.  He gets to be a Villa fan because I said so. He’s 9 now so if we win anything before his 40th birthday then I’ll consider it a bonus. 

My eldest has to endure being a Leicester fan in Sarf Larndarn. When I took him to his first game (Charlton in the Championship, 2-1 loss, Matty James sent off), I was certain I'd cursed him to a life of disappointment and angst. 4 years later when we were both bawling when Hazard equalised against Tottenham, to give us the League, it all seemed worth it. 

Guess the only downside is that it will never be as good again but I genuinely couldn't care less. Was one of the best moments of my life. 

14 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

My son is of that age, his mates at school (in the English West Midlands) all support Liverpool, Man City and Barcelona.  He gets to be a Villa fan because I said so. He’s 9 now so if we win anything before his 40th birthday then I’ll consider it a bonus. 

Barcelona :D

But yeah, all support is equal and valid.

Jesus H fucking Christ. Not the "I support a shit team so I'm more valid than you" brigade again.

We keep going round in circles in these threads, it's getting really boring. Sometimes we can actually manage a decent conversation about the interesting side of football and not the boring, knuckle dragging, tribal side of it. Can we have more of the interesting stuff please?

On 15/04/2021 at 23:18, Adrock said:

I was thinking about the red confusion thing, my brother remarked it could be affecting Liverpool. I mentioned to him the vast majority of fans wear red when they're in the stands.

It still doesn't give the crowd that uniformity of colour that the banners have...

image.png.b6958e70cf378d7a9a4dc67034ba0c4c.png

image.thumb.png.52ceb3b60a553f586d29abe028b7a0ba.png

I don't think a 2D image is massively helpful here. In that top shot, the players are rather blending with the crowd, contrary to the point you're making, but with normal 3D vision they'd be a lot easier to make out.

No real idea on how they'd look with the uniform banner in that situation. I've never played in front of one.

Or in front of forty thousand at Anfield, I suppose. I think my biggest crowd was about seventy parents when was ten. I peaked way too early.

While obviously not the same thing as the big banners over the seats, I can imagine the banners being a bit distracting in that split second glance players often make, especially when they are presumably almost exactly the same colour as your teams shirt. Great run by Santa in that second one though  to be fair.