Jump to content

Football Thread 2020/2021


Recommended Posts

I think the leagues will come to some sort of compromise. The big leagues don’t want to lose their best teams, so there will be some sort of pay off.  Same with Fifa. 

 

As for UEFA, I can see two club competitions going on. The ones not invited to this will get the UEFA spots. Eventually one of them will die in a few years. But this is just a pure cash grab from all clubs involved. Real Madrid have a stadium to finance just like Spurs do. Barcelona are in big debt and the Spanish government won’t be bailing both them out. Liverpool, Arsenal and Man United are all owned by American leeches. I am surprised by Chelsea and City because their owners haven’t really been in it for the money. I guess the insane money on offer was too tempting for Roman and the sheikh. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

I'm not so sure that the announcement is just the latest case of positioning for more Champions League money - the simple fact of actually announcing it means that it’s gone way further than previous sabre rattling.

Yeah, this is what I said earlier - this feels much more definitive. Plus all of the clubs have resigned from the European Club Association, as a further step. 

 

This is definitely different to every other time it has been raised.

 

On the plus side, I have the excitement now of finding a new club to take to heart :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Under the proposals, the ESL campaign would start in August each year, with midweek fixtures, and the clubs would be split into two groups of 10, playing each other home and away.

The top three in each group would qualify for the quarter-finals, with the teams in fourth and fifth playing a two-legged play-off for the two remaining spots.

So 18 Games for each team at a minimum in this competition and then another 5 games if you get to the final (or another 7 if you are in this play-off thing to make the quater finals).

 

But, but, but even with a top 5 spot meaning you play on - at least 1 team in each league will potentially be out of it half way through and ther others will slowly drop off before the final rounds of games. Someone has to finish 6th to 10th.

 

Will the 5 invited teams each season by picked for their potential to be punching bags to enesure Tottenham don't finish bottom.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Plissken said:

'The fans won't stand for it" - Yeah, right.  The fans of pretty much every club would sell their own mother to fund a new centre forward who will score 20 a season.  I can think of three current PL clubs and one ex-PL club where the fans have or are willing to sell their integrity for new owners.

Or sold their integrity for current owners like us with our Redbird phase.

 

I see stuff on twitter with people getting excited that Klopp criticised a super league years ago and hoping he speaks up now.

 

It reminds me when Cardiff manager Malky McKay justified the change to Red, but then clammed up when someone asked hi if hed be happy if Celtic changed colours. I can't see any current player/manager of any of these teams speaking out.

Link to post
Share on other sites

* Catchy jingle plays *

 

Working Class Accented Voice Over:

"Are you a Liverpool fan? Looking for a new team to replace your cash grab sell out of a club?

Want another club owned by a US businessman who seems quite nice on the surface?

Need to replace that siege mentality that all other supporters hate your team?

 

Then come support Millwall FC!

 

We even have songs about how no-one likes us! 

Substitute your love of Salah for a new found love of Jed Wallace. Alleviate your attempts to understand the complexities of a German gegenpress system, by watching Gary Rowett's 1980's inspired sit the fuck back and kick the fuck out of the other cunts tactical genius.

 

Don't walk alone! RUN down to the Den for guaranteed scintillating* mid Championship level action!"

 

 

*Not a guarantee.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

@PlisskenI don't think Sky has ever really disguised that it has been about the big clubs, has it? I agree with your general point, of course and as I said earlier, there's no way they would lay down billions on a new TV deal without the attraction and numbers that those big clubs bring.

 

So far as Europe is concerned, that ceased to be about the integrity of the competition when the Champions league came into being. 

 

UEFA's CL revamp press conference later today is going to be interesting, that's for sure. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Legacy fans ffs. It’s such a bad idea you know it’s going to happens and it’s easy to avoid fan protests when they aren’t allowed in stadiums.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I knew that I had missed one.

 

"Players won't want to miss out on the opportunity to play for their country."

 

Quote

English FA has installed a match fee and competition winning bonus system to compensate players in the national team setup. English FA usually pay England players around

 

£1500 for winning a match qualifier/friendlies

£1000 for a draw

£500 for a defeat.

 

While for competition likes World Cup and Euro Championship basic match fees goes up plus a certain bonus for every player in case England wins the competition. For example during 2014 FIFA World Cup English FA paid £2,500 for every match a player started the game while rest of the squad pocketed £1,500 for every game regardless of playing in the game or not. Plus there was a hefty bonus (£650,000) for each squad member if England were to win the world cup.

According to some sources English players donate their all match fees and incentives earned from national team to charities one of which is orgnized by England players themselves called “England Footballers Foundation support Cancer Research”

 

Given that the match fee money goes to charity and it's comparatively much much less than their weekly wage, plus the added bonus of a month off and the opportunity to not get vilified by the media for two years for any mistakes they make, I'm not sure that a national cap is the draw that people think that it is. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The whole thing is fucking disgraceful but it's been on the cards for a very long time.

 

Football is SUCH a greedy sport.  The money involved is vulgar, and as a result of this, millions of fans have been priced out.  At PL level, gate receipts mean fuck all to the day to day running of a club so in that regard, it's little wonder that vultures such as the Glazers don't care one iota about the average supporter.  However, clubs in the lower tiers badly need the money from supporters to function, and the pandemic has shown this.  So what happens?  Is the 'caring' sport of football all coming together to help the clubs who need it?  Are they fuck - to hell with the 'little clubs' and to hell with the supporters.

 

The thing is, this greed also finds its way onto the terraces, and particularly on social media.  Fans of clubs have less patience than ever.  Far too many fans demand success NOW and insist their club splashes £20m on an instant fix in defence/playmaking midfielder/reliable goalscorer.  Look at the revolting mess that is Transfer Deadline Day on SSN.  

 

It's only ever been a matter of time until the game implodes - if this farcical idea goes ahead, that's going to be it.  No chance the PL will expel the 'Big 6' (oh do fuck off) with the billions it rakes in every season via TV money, sponsorship alone.  Because those deals just ain't happening without it - the gap between the 15 super league clubs and every other club in Europe will be insurmountable unless the individual associations take action which they won't do, because it'll lose them so much money.  Are we really expecting the PREMIER LEAGUE to show principals over financial gain?  Not a chance.

 

That's before you even take into consideration the actual competition itself.  How many dead rubber games will there be?  Most of these 'big 15' clubs are used to challenging at the very top every season.  Not all of them will see Super League Success - they will end up as corporate exhibition games with very little riding on them.  Yet with the extra money they bring in, these clubs will shit all over the other clubs in their respective divisions.

 

It's a disgusting, insulting idea with one sole intention - to make the shareholders even richer than they already are.  And unfortunately, none of the major organisations will have the morals or the backbone to stop it happening.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Gotters said:

Remember that segment on Sesame St as a kid when you had to spot the odd one out of a group ?

 

 


See, when they say "Europe" they really mean European Cup/Champions League, so why not say that?  Cos otherwise they're missing the UEFA Cup.  Also "main cup" - they're missing Spurs winning the FA Cup in 1991.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wenger is on TalkSport at 10:30 for his soul shakin', money makin', hip replacin' cheap trash promo for his upcoming TLC curtain raiser against Ivan 'The Terrible' Gazidis and Silent Stan Kroenke. Live, this August in the centre circle of the North London Astrodome before the opening round of high-stakes European Super Soccer League Soccerball. £49 on PPV.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Smoothy said:


See, when they say "Europe" they really mean European Cup/Champions League, so why not say that?  Cos otherwise they're missing the UEFA Cup.  Also "main cup" - they're missing Spurs winning the FA Cup in 1991.

82196462-8CC2-4C61-8788-535B94F4BA41.thumb.jpeg.492335e77f01bd10eec621d283ef517e.jpeg
 

happy?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Smoothy said:


See, when they say "Europe" they really mean European Cup/Champions League, so why not say that?  Cos otherwise they're missing the UEFA Cup.  Also "main cup" - they're missing Spurs winning the FA Cup in 1991.

 

90/91 wasn't it ? Guess it counts for a week or two until the new FA cup winner is declared

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

The whole thing is fucking disgraceful but it's been on the cards for a very long time.

 

Football is SUCH a greedy sport.  The money involved is vulgar, and as a result of this, millions of fans have been priced out.  At PL level, gate receipts mean fuck all to the day to day running of a club so in that regard, it's little wonder that vultures such as the Glazers don't care one iota about the average supporter.  However, clubs in the lower tiers badly need the money from supporters to function, and the pandemic has shown this.  So what happens?  Is the 'caring' sport of football all coming together to help the clubs who need it?  Are they fuck - to hell with the 'little clubs' and to hell with the supporters.

 

The thing is, this greed also finds its way onto the terraces, and particularly on social media.  Fans of clubs have less patience than ever.  Far too many fans demand success NOW and insist their club splashes £20m on an instant fix in defence/playmaking midfielder/reliable goalscorer.  Look at the revolting mess that is Transfer Deadline Day on SSN.  

 

It's only ever been a matter of time until the game implodes - if this farcical idea goes ahead, that's going to be it.  No chance the PL will expel the 'Big 6' (oh do fuck off) with the billions it rakes in every season via TV money, sponsorship alone.  Because those deals just ain't happening without it - the gap between the 15 super league clubs and every other club in Europe will be insurmountable unless the individual associations take action which they won't do, because it'll lose them so much money.  Are we really expecting the PREMIER LEAGUE to show principals over financial gain?  Not a chance.

 

That's before you even take into consideration the actual competition itself.  How many dead rubber games will there be?  Most of these 'big 15' clubs are used to challenging at the very top every season.  Not all of them will see Super League Success - they will end up as corporate exhibition games with very little riding on them.  Yet with the extra money they bring in, these clubs will shit all over the other clubs in their respective divisions.

 

It's a disgusting, insulting idea with one sole intention - to make the shareholders even richer than they already are.  And unfortunately, none of the major organisations will have the morals or the backbone to stop it happening.

 

Up the Glassboys from now on?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Gotters said:

 

90/91 wasn't it ? Guess it counts for a week or two until the new FA cup winner is declared

Well... I'm gonna be pedantic and say that they said "last 30 years" not "last 30 seasons". :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

 

Up the Glassboys from now on?

 

A tenner to get in and watch some live football whilst drinking a pint of Holdens Golden Glow with some friends?

 

Yep - I'm game.  Love going to watch Stourbridge!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Gotters said:

 

90/91 wasn't it ? Guess it counts for a week or two until the new FA cup winner is declared

 

Pfft - as if anything before 1992/93 exists anymore?  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.