Football Thread 2020/2021

Gotters

Got to admit, it's a classic Mourinho move to make himself look like the good guy.

As for Dyche to Spurs... why not.  Clarets fans would wish him well.  He deserves it.  And he'd be way better than many think.

Jose definitely had enough at Spurs and manufactured this row over the prospect of the Super League, getting himself some good PR in the process and avoiding the inevitable sacking and failing to win a trophy after the Carabao Cup final. 

8 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Rumoured he refused to take the players out for training over the ESL stuff 

If that turns out to be true then, regardless of whether he was about to be sacked due to performances, that's actually damn admirable.

31 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

As an Arsenal fan I would love to see this too.

You'll be getting Big Sam as he is the man to call when you are near the bottom of the (super) league ;-)

2 hours ago, Waggo said:

The designating of existing fans as Legacy fans tells you all that you need to about where this is ultimately going.  Only a matter of time if this gets off the ground, before a team is moved over to the USA and another to Singapore etc.

It's been creeping that way for decades and it's just what you're used to as to what you'll put up with. My dad (born in the '30s and a Celtic fan who saw local boys win the European Cup in 1967) was always uncomfortable with the international transfer market and huge fees (though his fave Celtic player of all time ended up being Henrik Larsson).

I never got that myself, I was used to it and the million pound transfers of Brazilian superstars was part of the fun for me. For kids in the future, whatever glitz and showbiz surrounds the ESL will probably be the fun of football for them.

As a non-native Liverpool fan I, of course, get some stick but the idea of supporting a team of local lads seems so antiquated when so few actually have any local players in the side. You could argue that was when the true spirit died but I wasn't really there when it was a thing so I don't know. It's quite possible, if you worked it out, that the Liverpool squad actually come from places nearer me than Liverpool. It's an international game played by groups of millionaires from across the world. The names of the teams and where they play bears very little relationship to the people of that area so jetting off to a European Elite doesn't surprise me.

I'm aware what I'm saying refers less to smaller sides or further down the divisions where perhaps traditional values are more apparent, but is that through choice?

For the last few years I've felt the sport has become a bit 'silly' and I've lost some interest. I used to watch lots of games on TV, now I only watch Liverpool matches. It was nice to see them win the league after 30 years last season but that does feel like a nice place for me to leave it now. VAR and the endless discussion of things that don't really matter is tiresome and people forget it's just a game - a sport. A sport, if played by sportsmen, shouldn't need lines drawn on a screen and all sorts of other minutiae to decide what's what. Just get on with it. But it's money and TV drama and no one wants to lose a pound that a TV millimetre might save them.

I'll keep watching occasionally and no doubt enjoy the odd game, but I find it really hard to care these days as the group of millionaires, whose achievements I've chosen to vicariously live through, take on the group you've chosen.

16 minutes ago, Plissken said:

Got to admit, it's a classic Mourinho move to make himself look like the good guy.

As for Dyche to Spurs... why not.  Clarets fans would wish him well.  He deserves it.  And he'd be way better than many think.

Yeah, Everton spending two years fluting around with Allardyce and Silva instead of going all out for Dyche back in 2017 is probably the biggest fuck-up of Moshiris ownership. 

44 minutes ago, bear said:

Fair play to Mourinho. Stuck to his principles against the Super League even though he knew Levy would sack him.

Is the story I'd be putting out there if I was Jorge Mendes. 

Crikey. 

2 minutes ago, Pockets said:

As a non-native Liverpool fan I, of course, get some stick but the idea of supporting a team of local lads seems so antiquated when so few actually have any local players in the side. You could argue that was when the true spirit died but I wasn't really there when it was a thing so I don't know. It's quite possible, if you worked it out, that the Liverpool squad actually come from places nearer me than Liverpool. It's an international game played by groups of millionaires from across the world. The names of the teams and where they play bears very little relationship to the people of that area so jetting off to a European Elite doesn't surprise me.

Up until January 1st this year, my own Premier League club had always been owned by local businessmen.  Now it is owned by a bunch of Mormons from the US.

(As an example of the fickleness of fans, it's all well and good saying that the game is too global but we regularly get criticised for fielding mostly white British and Irish players.)

28 minutes ago, Gotters said:

Here’s your table for this season with the greedy 6 removed - can’t see tv bidding much for this product

82B28743-BD93-43AB-9CF1-962FD524ACCF.thumb.png.6b485fab34da47ed4be7bd3270d13480.png

Thing is though, show that table to someone from 20 years ago and they wouldn’t be shocked by it. Football is transitory. There are traditionally huge clubs all over Europe that would benefit from the removal of the bigger teams. People say there would be less excitement without the race for the top four, but you might end up with actually competitive title races. I’ve been watching a lot of Ligue 1 recently as the top four there are separated by four points. If the alternative is a ESL that’s the same every season, exciting domestic leagues could do alright out of it.

6 minutes ago, Sirloin said:

Thing is though, show that table to someone from 20 years ago and they wouldn’t be shocked by it. 

I think they'd be at least a bit shocked by the removal of vowels from the English language.

I suppose in the post-ESL world they'll need every SEO boost they can get.

So everyone now wants PSG to win the Champions League, Mourinho may now  be the face of the rebellion and we will get the first cup final in history next week where every neutral fan won't want either team to win and the fans of both clubs let into Wembley may spend the whole game booing.

1 minute ago, Ork1927 said:

So everyone now wants PSG to win the Champions League, Mourinho may now  be the face of the rebellion and we will get the first cup final in history next week where every neutral fan won't want either team to win and the fans of both clubs let into Wembley may spend the whole game booing.

It's just more of the 2020s really isn't it?

3 minutes ago, Ork1927 said:

So everyone now wants PSG to win the Champions League

PSG are definitely part of this, they just haven't come out and admitted it yet because they're completely tied up with Qatar and don't want FIFA to take the World Cup away from them out of spite.

Today is proper Spursy, disgusted at the club over the Super league but happy they sacked Jose and if he did take a stand (fake or not) then this is the first time since he has been in charge I have any admiration  for him!

As for why Spurs are in the 6 it’s fairly obviously due to revenue generation, it’s not a qualification process due to recent domestic success as obv Spurs wouldn’t be in it for same reason Arsenal wouldn’t be if it was based on European success...

What do people who don’t like football actually do with their lives, they must have so much free time!?

While I don't believe this stuff about Mourinho getting sacked for taking a stand against the super league, he does have more reason than most to do so.  His Porto team winning the Champions League in 2004 is exactly the kind of fairytale that this move prevents. 

He's probably only pissed off he wasn't consulted. I doubt he or any other manager with ambition would be daft enough to come out against it. He'll be angling a way to get into one of those clubs sooner or later as the thought of not being at the top table will eat him alive. 

1 hour ago, Plissken said:

I knew that I had missed one.

"Players won't want to miss out on the opportunity to play for their country."

Given that the match fee money goes to charity and it's comparatively much much less than their weekly wage, plus the added bonus of a month off and the opportunity to not get vilified by the media for two years for any mistakes they make, I'm not sure that a national cap is the draw that people think that it is. 

While a bit Big-Country centric, you make a fair point - and if the ongoing march towards a super league leads to the demise of international football, it's just another reason to call all involved a bunch of big massive fuckos.

You have Gary Lineker coming out on twitter with the "football without fans is nothing" with absolutely no shame! like BTsports and BBC and sky, haven't been completely fucking over matchday fans for years with their fucking around of moving games and kick off times to cash in on the tv audience 

While I don't like the idea of the ESL, the fact that some of these pricks are coming out clutching their pearls with the "OMG think of the fans" is utter bullshit.