Football Thread 2020/2021

Gotters

2 minutes ago, Dudley said:

The trouble is here you sound a little bit like someone in 1900 saying "Those cars will never compared to watching horses".

It might not for us, for the kids being born now.... I don't know.

I do watch some e-sports and you may have a point but it’s not like e-sport is a new thing on the up challenging traditional sports as while it’s gaining some momentum it’s been going years and in that time football has become richer, bigger and gained viewers/supporters at a rate e-sports would love. It feels more like mobile gaming will kill gaming attitude when it’s fairly clear they are different enough to survive alongside each other with loads of cross over support.

I will not suddenly support my fave Apex team, Fortnite squad etc etc in the way I support my football team should Spurs continue in the ESL but move my support fully to my local team Norwich who are my second team in any case - unless they get in the ESL.....

I do however continue to boycott England and all international football due to the upcoming World Cup disgrace so could genuinely be a Norwich supporter soon :o 

Just now, Eighthours said:

Shots fired if true.

Annoyingly for UEFA - they can't easily replaces the excluded Champions League teams with the ones that lost to them in the 1/4s as Porto and Dortmund could be re-instated, but not the team that Real beat that used to give a shit about the European Cup.

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

English clubs, nobody gives a toss about Celtic/Rangers Cardiff/Swansea or Cobh Ramblers.

1 hour ago, bear said:

What have Cobh Ramblers got to do with anything? 

or Celtic for that matter.

Cobh Ramblers aren't British. They're not even fake British, like Linfield.

Just now, bradigor said:

UEFA won't pull them from this season, they don't have the balls

Would be a massive statement of intent but I agree with you. 

I also think ultimately Fifa won't have the balls to ban players from the World Cup or the Premier League to boot the teams out. 

I think the idea is terrible and hope it dies a swift death but I do think there is a difference between the rhetoric currently being said and actual reality at the end of the day. 

UEFA don't help themselves for the also pretty terrible revamp of CL they have been pursuing. 

English clubs, nobody gives a toss about Celtic/Rangers Cardiff/Swansea or Cobh Ramblers.

Hey - when the big six get kicked out then Cardiff/Swansea could be the main top flight derby in a couple of season's time.

5 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

I do watch some e-sports and you may have a point but it’s not like e-sport is a new thing on the up challenging traditional sports as while it’s gaining some momentum it’s been going years and in that time football has become richer, bigger and gained viewers/supporters at a rate e-sports would love. It feels more like mobile gaming will kill gaming attitude when it’s fairly clear they are different enough to survive alongside each other with loads of cross over support.

I will not suddenly support my fave Apex team, Fortnite squad etc etc in the way I support my football team should Spurs continue in the ESL but move my support fully to my local team Norwich who are my second team in any case - unless they get in the ESL.....

I do however continue to boycott England and all international football due to the upcoming World Cup disgrace so could genuinely be a Norwich supporter soon :o 

Oh great, if we’re having local teams, you’re going to banter the fuck out of mine then..... it USED to be the other way :( come on you Blues :lol:

Just now, McCoy said:

UEFA don't help themselves for the also pretty terrible revamp of CL they have been pursuing. 

One of the strange things about all this is that Juve Chairman Andrea Agnelli was a big supporter of the new format. Believe he was one of the primary people pushing for the change, and now this has all happened. Makes me wonder which teams have been the driving forces behind this and which are going along with it because they're afraid of being left behind... 

Rather than start a new competition up, if these teams wanted to do something it would be better to do a compressed tournament at the end of a season. Something like Six Nations but a knockout tournament played over 10 days or something. 

I've just been pondering about why Six Nations seems to work as a closed league but this idea seems instantly wrong. Is it because Six Nations is international teams rather than Club teams? 

I mean, I think there is a good European format out there but have never been convinced that CL has got it right and this idea is also terrible. I think the closed format is terrible, if only because it takes away the enjoyment from the National leagues of needing to do well in that league to get to play against the European teams. CL though is far too ponderous and stop start to really get much momentum until the closing rounds. You want a system where the best teams in Europe play a European competition but arguably I'd prefer a Euros style knockout competition to the current CL which just drags on forever. 

Just now, McCoy said:

I've just been pondering about why Six Nations seems to work as a closed league but this idea seems instantly wrong. Is it because Six Nations is international teams rather than Club teams? 

International teams, and there's no-one local knocking on the door.

7 minutes ago, MikeBeaver said:

Oh great, if we’re having local teams, you’re going to banter the fuck out of mine then..... it USED to be the other way :( come on you Blues :lol:

Your thread is on page 3 mate, this is the premier league thread ;) 

1 minute ago, footle said:

International teams, and there's no-one local knocking on the door.

Yeah, although arguably Six Nations could use relegation just to relieve Italy as being the constant bottom of the table team. 

Just now, Gabe said:

I see that UEFA has postponed announcing the full list of venues for the Euros "...[to] settle some things from three possible venues who might be excluded."

Shots fired, indeed.

I think thats the countries that won't commit to fans rather than this.

6 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Your thread is on page 3 mate, this is the premier league thread ;) 

Have Norfolk fc even played in Europe? Let alone won the uefa cup ;)

oj, you’re doing ok now and ipswich are, well, fucking awful would be an understatement.... but that trophy cupboard once contained the fa cup and the uefa cup... they’ve got more claim the the ESL the Spurs ;) 

1 hour ago, McCoy said:

Would be a massive statement of intent but I agree with you. 

I also think ultimately Fifa won't have the balls to ban players from the World Cup or the Premier League to boot the teams out. 

I think the idea is terrible and hope it dies a swift death but I do think there is a difference between the rhetoric currently being said and actual reality at the end of the day. 

I reckon the clubs will continue in the CL this season, any affected players will be allowed in the Euro finals this summer, and any Super League-induced consequences will only kick in from the 2021/2022 season. It's much easier to write off impacts on the earlier competitions for now, as time is so short to do anything about them and any court battles could get very ugly very quickly. They can endeavour to get the required legal protections in place for next season, as it will doubtless be quite the legal fight when/if clubs and players are excluded from competitions, and there's a few months to sort things out.

47 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

But we're doing it again

YOU won't.

Kids, especially those born in the 20s? Quite possibly.  eSports isn't new, new but it's newer than football.  As a big thing it's what a decade old?  How big was "Soccer" in 1873? The first English League season as we understand it came along 25 years after football's creation as the (near enough) rules we know.

32 minutes ago, McCoy said:

Yeah, although arguably Six Nations could use relegation just to relieve Italy as being the constant bottom of the table team. 

Its Rugby though, who would replace Italy?  There isn't enough international teams out there, let alone quality ones.  Italy were only let in cos they seemed semi-decent.  Everyone else is literally not good enough.

(unfortunately) Rugby isn't on the same level as football in terms of teams and numbers playing.

Here is the letter apparently sent to all Liverpool staff this morning

Dear Colleagues,

You will be aware of the announcement published late last night regarding Europe’s leading football Clubs coming together to establish a new mid-week competition, the European Super League, governed by its Founding Clubs.

It’s important as a member of our team that I share with you some of the context.

For quite some time now, Clubs, including our own, have held numerous longstanding concerns about not only the future of European football but also the way football is run by UEFA. The global pandemic has also accelerated the instability in the existing European football economic model.

We have therefore joined AC Milan, Arsenal, Atletico Madrid, Chelsea, Barcelona, Inter Milan, Juventus, Manchester City, Manchester United, Real Madrid and Tottenham Hotspur as Founding Clubs of the Super League. It is anticipated that a further three Clubs will join ahead of the inaugural season, which is intended to commence as soon as practicable.

The Super League will be the future of European football and if we want to continue our journey of being a sustainable Club with ambition to grow and continue winning trophies then we should absolutely be part of that process and have a seat at the table rather than outside that group.

The new annual tournament will provide significantly greater economic growth and support for European football via a long-term commitment to uncapped solidarity payments which will grow in line with league revenues. These solidarity payments are expected to be roughly three times what is currently achieved from UEFA competitions. One of the core commitments of the European Super League is to vastly increase financial support for the football pyramid.

After the start of the men’s competition, a corresponding women’s league will also be launched, helping to advance and develop the women’s game.

We know that this announcement has provoked strong feelings within the game and elsewhere but we believe this decision is in the best long-term interests of Liverpool Football Club.

Importantly, this is the beginning of the journey and we can now start an engagement process with you, supporters and key stakeholders to help shape this process in the right way.

There is still much more information to come in due course.

I will keep you updated as we progress on this journey and discuss further on our Town Hall tomorrow.

Thank you for your continued support.

Out of interest, what are the potential legal challenges against banning the clubs? Isn't membership of national leagues by application - so the Premier League there's no given-right to being allowed entry? Likewise for international tournaments, players can easily just not be picked, right? I can imagine it would come down to employment law/restriction of movement or something (and discrimination for the international situation)?

Is it even legally possible for teams that are already signed up to the Premier League, La Liga, etc. and who are legally obligated to play these games in these competitions to be able to unilaterally go off and play in another competition that isn't sanctioned?  Has anyone answered that one?

Surely if Liverpool FC Ltd (for example) want a team in the Super League they can go and create a new team, Merseyside Reds, and fill that with unaffiliated players and go play them in that, but they can't take Liverpool FC into this made-up competition?

In the same way Liverpool FC can't go and collectively play in a knockabout, why do they think they can go and play in some competition that no one has sanctioned?  If they can do this, why haven't any of these clubs gone over to the States, or any other league in the world, and played football in their league there?

4 hours ago, Waggo said:

The designating of existing fans as Legacy fans tells you all that you need to about where this is ultimately going. 

Buy the United/Arsenal season pass and get discounts on early access content, loot boxes, and a 15% discount to your Legacy Fans exclusive insider offers. Upgrade to the ultimate platinum Legacy pack and get all the goodies before everyone else including exclusive streaming of the A1/Beyonce halftime show. 

I grew up close to White Hart Lane and have been a Spurs fan for over 40 years now. Used to work at the ground on match days when I was a teenager. Been to hundreds of matches home and away. Old enough to remember the teams of the (relatively) glorious 80s and persevered through the barren times of late. This is a very sad day.

If this isn't brinkmanship (and it doesn't appear to be) then this is going to run and run as the legal challenges rack up but when it comes to it, will the Premier League kick out the 'big 6'? I'm not so sure. It would devalue their 'product' and I'm not sure they would take the risk.

And will FIFA really stop Super League players from appearing in Internationals? Again, I think that's quite a risky strategy. How many of the world's top players won't be at the next World Cup if they did? And not just the European teams either - lots of high profile African and Asian players at the Super League clubs now, not to say Messi, Ronaldo, et al.