Football Thread 2020/2021

13 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

It's more that they were player owned - the club was formed for the benefit of the playing members, as a way of organising a game of football (or cricket, rugby, or any other sport you care to name). That's when the clubs weren't formed as works teams for the employees of a company, which even if not organised directly by the company were often funded by them - Manchester United started life in this way.

Chelsea were started because someone had a spare stadium.

Not even really kidding.

1 hour ago, hmm said:

That's literally a definition of greed.

The dictionary definition isn't that descriptive really

intense and selfish desire for something, especially wealth, power, or food.

"mercenaries who had allowed greed to overtake their principles"

I think people use greed to mean excess. Richest clubs in the world want more. Richest clubs in the world also in debt. I just mean we shouldn't obsess over behaviour while overlooking the culture and economic system in which they occur. This is the culmination of 40 years of globalisation and growth. It's a bit late to plead with owners to have a social conscience when their sole aim is to milk these clubs for money.

Gary Neville seemed surprised that Liverpool and Man United would be for it. Really? With their owners? I wish that more people had values and principles but in the modern world few do. You've got Eighthours in here talking like some kind of revolutionary when he spent 5 years shitting all over one of the few principled politicians to become leader. If the broadcast rights to the super league become available, will Sky bid for them, yes. If Gary Neville is contracted to be a pundit for the games, will he, yes. I don't blame them or him. 

Maybe we shouldn't allow these parasites to gain control of clubs? 

How many years ago now when it was revealed that some premier league football clubs sell the walk on to the pitch mascot experience for as much as £700? Not the evil big clubs. The £700 was West Ham. £355 at Leicester. £375 at Palace for 'gold package'. Aston Villa £500. Brighton £350 to walk out with captain. For individuals that's a lot of money, for the club it's such a meagre amount to earn per match, so why do it? It's such a low. We live in a world where somehow we feel lacking if we don't monetize something that has potential to make money from, even though by doing so we don't even earn much and it kills the value of it. 

Man City will play 60 or 61 competitive games this season - 38 in the Prem, 5 in the League Cup (including the final), 5 in the FA Cup of a possible 6 (if they'd beat Chelsea  in the semi) and 12 in the Champions League (13 if they get to the final).

So thats 60 games for the best team in England who have progressed to at least the semi finals in all 3 cup competitions plus the league. 

If English teams stay in the Prem and maybe the FA Cup (I assume the League Cup will be killed off) then a team finishing bottom of their league in the ESL, anywhere in the Prem and knocked out in the 3rd round of the FA Cup will still play 57 competetive games and not even manage to knock anyone out in any competition let alone achieve anything.

A team getting to the final of the FA Cup and the final of the ESL will play 67 games (69 if they finish low enough in the league bit to have to play off).

19 minutes ago, Loik V credern said:

You've got Eighthours in here talking like some kind of revolutionary when he spent 5 years shitting all over one of the few principled politicians to become leader.

When these 'principles' included *rolls a couple of D20s* inviting convicted IRA members to tea in the Commons 2 weeks after the Brighton bombing, and taking £20k from Press TV, oh no you've really got me here, mate.

2 minutes ago, Gotters said:

Head of Danish FA expects City, Chelsea and Real to be kicked out of the CL on Friday - leaving PSG as the winners

It's why they've held out clearly.

So I'm assuming that means a Roma-Villareal Europa League final?

6 minutes ago, bear said:

So I'm assuming that means a Roma-Villareal Europa League final?

who knows - we're in unprecedented territory here now by the looks of it and it appears that I, and others, who assumed this was all just a short term bluff to up the ante a bit on the Champions League restructure vote this week got it quite wrong. We're in full of Ep9 in a good season of Game of Thrones territory here.

https://news.sky.com/story/breakaway-super-league-a-spit-in-the-face-of-football-lovers-uefa-chief-says-12280398

23 minutes ago, Sirloin said:

Make them all play each other at once. Three goals, two balls and play it on a cricket pitch. Beat that ESL.

Or one goal and a game of Wembley. 

Say what you want about Liverpool fans, but they’re always quick with the banners. 

image.jpeg.70ea4e3a03033aadb8c48227e140938d.jpeg

Who is hoping for Leeds to win 5-0 tonight followed by wins for Brighton, Southampton and Villa this week as the next 4 Prem games are a Big 6 club vs a ‘proper’ team.

2 hours ago, Eighthours said:

When these 'principles' included *rolls a couple of D20s* inviting convicted IRA members to tea in the Commons 2 weeks after the Brighton bombing, and taking £20k from Press TV, oh no you've really got me here, mate.

Yeah, not one person in this thread believes this kind of myopic view of things, so it's a bit wasted in here. It wasn't a dig, i just found the revolutionary vibe of your post surprising, given 2015-2019 in the uk was about which side are people on, the side of the establishment and the ruling class, or the side of the ones challenging them. And it became clear quickly which side people were on.

I don’t see what all the fuss is about, looking at the planned revamp of the Champions League it’s equally as appalling. Which flavour of shit sandwich do you want? 

In the end people will forget and fall in line to supporting their clubs, spending their hard earned money and feeding the greed of those who run the game. The Super League in the grand scheme of football’s exploitation is barely a drop in the ocean. We are about to heading to a World Cup literally built upon the corpses of slaves. Do the general populace care? Do they fuck. People are already cheering their nations on, paying to see the games and looking forward to a tournament that’s responsible for horrendous abuses of the basic human rights. Qatar 2022 is football‘s low. 

This? One bunch of greedy cunts want to screw over the other bunch of greedy cunts so that they can be the ones to fleece fans instead, meh, duke it out, who cares.

Anyone else feel Sky are giving air to all of the ESL stuff not only because it's obviously headline news but because it clearly degrades exactly what they've built their success on?

It's a decent watch and everything Neville and Carragher said so far is correct but don't forget it benefits Sky to amplify all is this.

7 minutes ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

I don’t see what all the fuss is about, looking at the planned revamp of the Champions League it’s equally as appalling.

No it isn't. I don't like the way the CL is setup but it's not a closed shop.

2 minutes ago, GamesGamesGames said:

No it isn't. I don't like the way the CL is setup but it's not a closed shop.

And, if the ESL clubs are allowed to stay in the domestic leagues, then they'll either dominate even more or worse, undermine the competition by not putting out full strength teams because they've got to make sure their big stars are fit and available for the big Wednesday night ESL North London Derby to determine who finishes 8th in ESL Group A.