Football Thread 2020/2021

13 minutes ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

In the end people will forget and fall in line to supporting their clubs, spending their hard earned money and feeding the greed of those who run the game. The Super League in the grand scheme of football’s exploitation is barely a drop in the ocean. We are about to heading to a World Cup literally built upon the corpses of slaves. Do the general populace care? Do they fuck. People are already cheering their nations on, paying to see the games and looking forward to a tournament that’s responsible for horrendous abuses of the basic human rights. Qatar 2022 is football‘s low.

This is on the money.

The Super League proposal stinks but this stinks worse. UEFA and FIFA are corrupt institutions and in no position to lecture anyone on anything.

2 hours ago, bear said:

Do you think the Dulux rep knew about what was coming and tried to warn us? 

Seems like a million years ago but this was a minor Twitter storm last week. Spurs announced Dulux as their official paint supplier, cue plenty of hilarious comments about Dulux painting an empty trophy cabinet and at some point the Dulux account pointed out that obviously you’d need to remove the dust from the cabinet before it could be painted.  

Now if you think people were offended by the prospect of a breakaway European Super League…

7 minutes ago, Adrock said:

Just to state, Tottenham fucking Hot Spur are a part of Europe's "elite"! :lol:

Absolute joke.

But that's the thing isn't it - in terms of money Spurs are.

The fact that the club haven't been able to leverage that advantage into trophies doesn't change the fact that they are (relatively) loaded.

Fair play to Klopp, but at this stage it probably helps the clubs if the managers and players seem to be aligned with the fans because if this falls apart then the fans don't feel betrayed by the players/manager, just the owners they don't really like anyway and everything carries on as 'normal'

Or if the ESL goes ahead then the clubs have clearly indicated they don't give a shit about the fans so who cares if they feel betrayed when the managers/players fall into line as they don't need the season ticket sales and eventually Liverpool will play half their games in Boston.

3 minutes ago, ox1973 said:

The fact that the club haven't been able to leverage that advantage into trophies doesn't change the fact that they are (relatively) loaded.

Yep, like I said earlier, Spurs are one of the richest clubs in Europe (albeit also one of the more indebted ones, as another poster pointed out as well as a Sky Sports infographic), they can bring money to the table so they get in.  It's totally about money.

Listening to the Monday night club and reading various pieces, it’s a mystery to me why no one has pointed out that the large majority of games between “super league” clubs are now irrelevant nowadays? By all means watch Inter v Barca from a purist football point of view but that’s not the audience making any money for anyone.

The simple matter is that since the advent of the league structure being introduced to the Champions League means that the majority of games between the (traditional) big clubs are meaningless because they happen in the group stages where they’re likely to beat the other two clubs home & away so the results between them are often meaningless. Even for the football purist, over the last 30 years, familiarity has bred contempt. It’s only interesting when they meet in the knockout as that’s when there’s any jeopardy. The Super League would just be more of the same pointless games.

The same principle has happened over an even longer period thanks to all the competitors becoming familiar with the rest of the European clubs. Malmö or Feyenoord doing well nowadays? No chance. This gets punctuated occasionally by Ajax or similar but not often enough to be significant.

As a United fan I can’t really believe the PR fuckup that this is. Would I rather stick in the national league and have it studded with 7-8 (lol) exotic, exciting, important games a season against European opposition? Obviously.

Not to mention that the big clubs play the breakaway card every 5 years. They may have gone a bit further this time but hey, when you rattle your sabre and get what you want, when you do it again you have to shake it a little harder.

29 minutes ago, GamesGamesGames said:

Shame they refused to join us in 2005 when both clubs were under the same cosh. Spirit of Shankly my arse.

Dithering old David Moores was in charge then

2 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

The more I think about it the less willing I am to give a shit what Neville says about anything. Using Sky as a platform to witter on about fans getting fleeced is beyond parody. 

Bit stupid that, the platform has mass media coverage so is the ideal place to air his opinion esp if it reflects how the vast majority of fans feel.

It's quite a thing to watch two pundits rant with such anger about greed in football, to then cut to ads featuring gambling companies, then come back for 45 seconds for a replay of a Tony Yeboah goal, then go to more ads for gambling companies.

This is different though, it’s turning football into an NFL style closed shop. Saying they can’t complain due to gambling ads or how much money is in the game already means this result is exactly what they deserve and should just accept it.

As a Leeds fan I don’t doubt for one second that our owners would have snapped your hands off if they had been in a position to secure a place in the Super League, so I find the gestures tonight a bit disingenuous.

10 minutes ago, ryodi said:

This is different though, it’s turning football into an NFL style closed shop. Saying they can’t complain due to gambling ads or how much money is in the game already means this result is exactly what they deserve and should just accept it.

People keep comparing it to the US leagues, but it's actually a step beyond those because there will be no draft etc.

14 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Bit stupid that, the platform has mass media coverage so is the ideal place to air his opinion esp if it reflects how the vast majority of fans feel.

Well the point is that he’s been more than happy to take Sky’s coin and work for an organisation that has shown contempt for fans for years, but this is too much now? He’s just another hypocrite.

15 minutes ago, Mike1812 said:

Think there might be a lot of this to come

Says something about the word ‘fuck’ that at first I thought that cut off before ‘bastards’ as it might be considered a swear word. My brain thought nothing of all the fucks beforehand. 

43 minutes ago, ox1973 said:

Comparatively there are plenty of rich clubs in the Premier League, by European standards. Tottenham aren't particularly well supported around the world either.

31 minutes ago, Jammy said:

Ha ha, well played Leeds United.

Tonight’s warm-up t-shirts....

1CA8A768-3FBD-4324-AD30-0C68F334F1FD.jpeg

F8B9AAF8-CEEE-413A-9182-C98C8AB00D99.jpeg

Apparently they put some in the away dressing room for the Liverpool players, which hasn't gone down well.

5 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

Well the point is that he’s been more than happy to take Sky’s coin and work for an organisation that has shown contempt for fans for years, but this is too much now? He’s just another hypocrite.

Nope, he works in a capitalist society and works where the money is as we all do - he is in a position to speak his mind and say what many of us would love to and have an audience to listen so I don’t see the issue at all.

2 minutes ago, Adrock said:

Comparatively there are plenty of rich clubs in the Premier League, by European standards. Tottenham aren't particularly well supported around the world either.

I don't disagree with you (lots of very rich clubs in the PL) but year on year, City, United, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs are in the top 10 clubs in the world in terms of revenue worldwide so to suggest that Spurs aren't able to compete *on a financial level* is nonsense.

3 minutes ago, Mike1812 said:

Apparently they put some in the away dressing room for the Liverpool players, which hasn't gone down well.

Well that is blaming the players for the cunt owners and a bit stupid. Gives then extra motivation.

3 hours ago, Azrael said:

I'm ok with the idea of creating a new European wide competition as a fuck you to UEFA but what has been proposed is so wrong and only benefits those founding "big clubs" 

If it is a Super League can the "Big 6" from England be the original Avengers:

Chelsea - Iron Man, the original super rich guy. 

Liverpool - Captain America, recently resurfaced after being presumed dead for decades 

Man City - Hulk, Just a regular guy until recent transformation to a monster from nefarious means

Man United - Thor, once serious but becoming more and more of a joke

Arsenal - Black Widow, attractive but underpowered and likely to die first

Tottenham - Hawkeye, inexplicably also included. 

Captain America or Hawkeye weren’t founding members of the Avengers.