Football Thread 2020/2021

For those of us who aren’t fans of one of the big six, would we really care if they were booted out of the Prem? It might be refreshing. The championship might not have the quality of the Prem but it’s usually more entertaining because of the variety of teams being competitive each year. 

39 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Well that is blaming the players for the cunt owners and a bit stupid. Gives then extra motivation.

It would have been interesting to know if any of their players would want to support the protest but I can understand they wouldn't be allowed to. 

1 minute ago, Mike1812 said:

It would have been interesting to know if any of their players would want to support the protest but I can understand they wouldn't be allowed to. 

Given their tee shirt wearing form you would imagine the Liverpool players would be wearing ‘ESL for life’ 

42 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Well that is blaming the players for the cunt owners and a bit stupid. Gives then extra motivation.

I didn’t read it as blaming the Liverpool players at all, more an opportunity to voice their opposition. Would never have happened though. 

love the T-shirt’s, it’s a fine line showing opposition while not pissing off fans of the rich six. 

14 minutes ago, Shevchenko said:

Isn’t Steve Parish the guy who voted along with 19 other clubs to charge fans £15 last year for PPV games? Like he gives a toss about fans either. Greedy shites the lot of them. 

18 other clubs.

40 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

For those of us who aren’t fans of one of the big six, would we really care if they were booted out of the Prem? It might be refreshing. The championship might not have the quality of the Prem but it’s usually more entertaining because of the variety of teams being competitive each year. 

The problem would be that it would suck all the money out of the Premier League because the international TV would disappear. English clubs would stop being competitive in Europe and wouldn't be able to attract big stars. Then domestic TV money would drop as well. You'd be back to pre Premier League days, basically. 

Whether you consider that a bad thing is a different matter. 

18 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

I didn’t read it as blaming the Liverpool players at all, more an opportunity to voice their opposition. Would never have happened though. 

love the T-shirt’s, it’s a fine line showing opposition while not pissing off fans of the rich six. 

Don't get me wrong. I like the skirts and would have loved our players to wear them.

But the putting them in the away changing room was dumb is all.

There is no way the Liverpool players could have worn them tonight. It'd be career suicide.

Just now, bradigor said:

Don't get me wrong. I like the skirts and would have loved our players to wear them.

But the putting them in the away changing room was dumb is all.

There is no way the Liverpool players could have worn them tonight. It'd be career suicide.

Not if all of them did it.

The year that we nearly win the league and Gerrard slipped, I mentioned in work that my brother in law was being offered silly money for his tickets for the last few home games. A die hard, blinkers on, fan in the office made a big show of saying how no "true fan" would sell their ticket and how it was like betraying your family. I was in no mood for her shit and said that if she though she was anything but a revenue stream to Liverpool FC, she was a fool and got shouted down. 

I think today shows how right I was. 

The players have an awful lot of power here, should they choose to use it. 

Imagine if Rashford spoke out passionately about it. What could they do? They certainly aren't going to let a player worth £100m go.

I reckon agents will all know the score, though, and players are probably being told to keep quiet and expect huge pay rises if they are in the new league. 

16 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

The problem would be that it would suck all the money out of the Premier League because the international TV would disappear. English clubs would stop being competitive in Europe and wouldn't be able to attract big stars. Then domestic TV money would drop as well. You'd be back to pre Premier League days, basically. 

Whether you consider that a bad thing is a different matter. 

The best players don’t all play in the Prem anyway, most of them are off in Spain or at PSG. If it means cheaper subscriptions which then means bang average Premier League players aren’t coining £5m a year, then yes, I’m for it. 

2 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

I mean regardless of the owners being utter shits, celebrating a goal against the team you support is baffling.

When the board have shown the supporters to be nothing more than wallets to be emptied, I can at least see where he's coming from. I don't agree with it, myself, but I get it.

Just now, Stigweard said:

I mean regardless of the owners being utterly shits, celebrating a goal against the team you support is baffling.

Didn't celebrate for crying out loud. :lol:

This isn't the team I support right now. The badge may be that of Liverpool, but we are nothing but a product to make the rich richer.

I thought FSG might be different to the oil barrens, Saudis, Glazers etc, but I was so wrong.

4 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Not really, there are hardly any consequences for Liverpool 

I still don't like not winning and giving away late goals. Plus this thing isn't set in stone yet. We should still play for 4th regardless.

4 hours ago, Loik V credern said:

The dictionary definition isn't that descriptive really

intense and selfish desire for something, especially wealth, power, or food.

"mercenaries who had allowed greed to overtake their principles"

And you want another definition?  Bit greedy.

1 hour ago, PyramidFace said:

People keep comparing it to the US leagues, but it's actually a step beyond those because there will be no draft etc.

Yeah, other than the actual franchise system, the US is pretty communist.  The lower sides get first pick of the new players (which is always wild to me, what if a player doesn't want to join the Cincinnati tosspots when they know the 69ers are interested?)