Football Thread 2020/2021

What I find almost as annoying as the ESL idea is how quickly the clubs backed out. I can only think this is because they were actually surprised by the reaction it received. Like they actually though people would be onboard with it? Absolute shower of shit.

17 minutes ago, Plissken said:

If Rangers and Celtic are in it, then what is the argument against Cardiff?  I was idly thinking about how a fully franchised closed shop 18 team BPL would look and at least one and possibly the other of the two non Big Clubs that have won the PL title would be excluded.

Hide contents

Man Utd

Man City

Liverpool

Everton

Chelsea

Tottenham

Arsenal

Leeds

Aston Villa

Newcastle

Celtic

Rangers

Cardiff

Southampton

Leicester

West Ham

Nottingham Forest

Birmingham City

Anyone from Southampton down is an arguable.  Remember, this is a US style regional based franchise system and sporting merit doesn't come into it.  So, do you need all three of Villa, Birmingham and Leicester?  And if you drop one, which is the smallest market and least attractive to TV and sponsors?  I'd probably say Leicester.

A US style system would also mean one of the London teams relocating or merging two of them because you cannot have that many teams in one city.

@Plissken outed as Adrian Durham from Talksport - is this todays phone in topic ?

Nice touch by @ryodi to bait some more angry van drivers out with talk of merging clubs, even better ground sharing gets em going. 

Replace some London teams with a merged Bristol team to get West Country representation is a nice wind up too.

Talksport have had the idea as well?  I disown it immediately!

(I did go down the "merge the Bristol clubs" and "merge the Edinburgh clubs" but thought that was too much for an opening gambit.)

28 minutes ago, Gotters said:

Replace some London teams with a merged Bristol team to get West Country representation is a nice wind up too.

:lol: Given the unabashed level of hatred between fans of Bristol City and Bristol Rovers, that suggestion is hilarious!

27 minutes ago, Gotters said:

@Plissken outed as Adrian Durham from Talksport - is this todays phone in topic ?

Nice touch by @ryodi to bait some more angry van drivers out with talk of merging clubs, even better ground sharing gets em going. 

Half assing it is partly why the ESL failed, may as well do it properly. Only problem is if Chelsea had to merge with another team they’d need to leave Stanford Bridge because they don’t own the pitch or the name. Therefore merging with Arsenal and sharing the Emirates solves a lot of problems :lol:

The only way I can see you ramming the scots through, and it's still not going to happen, is for the Premier League to expand to 22 with everything else around relegation/promotion staying the same so Rangers can inevitably somehow manage to find themselves in League 1 in a decade.

1 minute ago, Eighthours said:

:lol: Given the unabashed level of hatred between fans of Bristol City and Bristol Rovers, that suggestion is hilarious!

yep, I think it's in their box of 'quiet day wind up phone ins' to get a few funny sounding west country folk rapidly ranting in the middle of the afternoon, they usually justify it with getting West Country representation at the highest level and that also helps bait out the likes of @neoELITE to phone in too. 

ground sharing always leads to talk of 'but they play in red and our seats are blue' talk, then somebody calls in and mentions the San Siro.

a lot of talk sport is almost like the radio equivalent of UK Gold. 

22 minutes ago, Gotters said:

yep, I think it's in their box of 'quiet day wind up phone ins' to get a few funny sounding west country folk rapidly ranting in the middle of the afternoon, they usually justify it with getting West Country representation at the highest level and that also helps bait out the likes of @neoELITE to phone in too. 

ground sharing always leads to talk of 'but they play in red and our seats are blue' talk, then somebody calls in and mentions the San Siro.

a lot of talk sport is almost like the radio equivalent of UK Gold. 

I'm focking posh as fock I'll ave you know bhey.

I love TalkSport. It's all well and good listening to a football hipster in their late 20s soberly dissecting the ins and outs of FC St Pauli's pressing system, but it's far more fun tuning into some apoplectic bloke from Essex blowing a gasket about VAR that Durham has dangling on his line. The Moose especially is must listen radio, it's been a slow moving car crash for the last 20 years. Absolute hilarity guaranteed.

I'm OK with Welsh clubs being in the English pyramid system, there's clearly a good reason for it - no Welsh league till the 90s, and that was only because UEFA required it as condition of participating in their competitions, as well as a general "stay-on-your-side-of-the-border" and "no-more-moving-to-other-leagues" message to all teams.

The interesting thing about that for me is the Welsh FA, every few years, keep extending an invitation for Cardiff, etc. to come and play in the Welsh Cup, no questions asked, no obligation to also come back to the Welsh league, only for Cardiff, etc. to turn them down every time.

If you look back at history they aren't the only ones, there was plenty of Scottish sides playing in the FA Cup till the formation of the Scottish FA, well some years after that when they decided it was best to to rein them in and keep them in the Scottish system that they set up.

The FA, and the FA Cup, weren't intended to represent only England when they were formed - that's why it's the FA and not the EFA. They were formed to standardise the rules and be the governing body for the whole sport, which made a lot of sense at the time, and the FA Cup was for any member. Hence it's had participation from all four nations of the UK.

Yep, agreed.  It was only when some of the Scottish teams wanted some representation up there (obviously even travelling a short place back in the 1880s was a massive massive hassle) that the Scottish FA was formed, and a Scottish FA Cup created so that they could have a competition that didn't require them to travel long distances (more cost effective).

2 hours ago, Plissken said:

If Rangers and Celtic are in it, then what is the argument against Cardiff?  I was idly thinking about how a fully franchised closed shop 18 team BPL would look and at least one and possibly the other of the two non Big Clubs that have won the PL title would be excluded.

Reveal hidden contents

Man Utd

Man City

Liverpool

Everton

Chelsea

Tottenham

Arsenal

Leeds

Aston Villa

Newcastle

Celtic

Rangers

Cardiff

Southampton

Leicester

West Ham

Nottingham Forest

Birmingham City

Anyone from Southampton down is an arguable.  Remember, this is a US style regional based franchise system and sporting merit doesn't come into it.  So, do you need all three of Villa, Birmingham and Leicester?  And if you drop one, which is the smallest market and least attractive to TV and sponsors?  I'd probably say Leicester.

And while Cardiff is the capital city and far superior to Swansea in every way ;-) - in football terms, The Jacks would have a much better stake in recent achievement terms having won the League Cup to our final defeat and spending 7 seasons in the Prem vs our 2.  And they had a brief stint in the top flight in the 80s as well.

10 minutes ago, Smoothy said:

Also, back to Perez - fruit loop:

176143521_165427955474019_4543341869754013883_n.thumb.jpg.95d6fee6c4aadbd3f988d10caec4f6ae.jpg

177147716_134188585354226_4352418716816253775_n.thumb.jpg.f96951a2d1bb8215002e7166c4c5e71c.jpg

What an absolute bellend, there's must be millions of people who could do a better job than this helmet. Anyone that's played championship manager for starters!

2 hours ago, Smoothy said:

Also, back to Perez - fruit loop:

176143521_165427955474019_4543341869754013883_n.thumb.jpg.95d6fee6c4aadbd3f988d10caec4f6ae.jpg

Well, it’s certainly an interesting time to play the “won’t somebody think of the children?” card, I’ll grant him that. 

Barcelona are in desperate financial straits. That oozes out of their statement. 

https://www.fcbarcelona.com/en/news/2114445/fc-barcelona-Statement-on-the-super-league

As for Celtic (and I guess the zombies) joining English football. The only way I can see it working is a full merger of the Scottish and English league systems. The likes of Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen would eventually do well as upper-level Championship sides in that case I think. I don't think it's very likely but more workable than just dropping us into the league at an arbitrary place. I'm guessing at first Celtic and Rangers would be in the Championship as that suits everyone as we would have to drastically rebuild the entire structure of the club to compete in the EPL.

Long term the EPL top 6 would become the top 8.

17 minutes ago, deerokus said:

I'm guessing at first Celtic and Rangers would be in the Championship as that suits everyone

Nope.  If they want in, they start in the Northern Premier league and work their way up like everyone else.

49 minutes ago, deerokus said:

Long term the EPL top 6 would become the top 8.

Man City

Man Utd

Leicester

Liverpool

Chelsea

Spurs

West Ham

Everton

:wub:

58 minutes ago, Plissken said:

Nope.  If they want in, they start in the Northern Premier league and work their way up like everyone else.

Agree - its interesting to speculate how long Rangers and Celtic would be in the Championship if they got parachuted in.

They wouldn't be going straight up.

Current squads, they would both struggle. However, given their massive fan base, the extra cash they would have and the extra allure they’d have in attracting new players into the championship/prem rather than the spl, there’s no doubt they would be strong premier league teams after a few years. Prior to the premier league getting going, they were both as good as any team in the English division 1, maybe Liverpool withstanding. 

That wouldn't happen, alas. As the NPL is a separate organisation to the National League, and the Football League, and indeed the Premier League, they could start at the bottom rung of any one of them.

Of course, they should remain where they are and contribute more to the development of Scottish football if they want to return to their previous glory.

Well not quite, Arsenal are still an illegal entry so we could boot them out to the southern division and give one of them their place ;) 

It would seem a bit silly for the Big 6, worried about over teams stealing their European spots, to invite 2 more teams into the Premier League who could steal away their European spots or maybe they’ll convince UEFA to let the top 10 teams in this British Super League to play in an even further extended Champions League and then everyone is happy.