Jump to content

Football Thread 2020/2021


Recommended Posts

I don’t think City having ten men would have made a lot of difference. We’ve just looked so pedestrian, and short of ideas. And now Sky have just shown a particular image it’s given me the opportunity to say “Thanks City, Son’s crying.”

Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad City won as it basically means fuck all to them (Pretty much same a winning the Charity Shield), while it would have been a big deal for Spurs.  Which after this week’s ESL shenanigans is the last thing I would have wanted to see them rewarded with.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Waggo said:

Glad City won as it basically means fuck all to them (Pretty much same a winning the Charity Shield), while it would have been a big deal for Spurs.  Which after this week’s ESL shenanigans is the last thing I would have wanted to see them rewarded with.

 

The only winner today was football itself.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

and Sean Dyche.

 

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.8dbb5755fd28971b29a29c657565e884.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Swiss Ramble doing a brilliant job of highlighting the financial problems currently facing the Super League clubs, and football in general - this looks a lot like a bubble about to pop, or possibly even one that has popped just in slow motion and nobody has realised yet.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It is infuriating that no-one is asking the questions about how the richest and most successful clubs can owe the most money and in several cases, be in danger of going bust, and that is before we get to "and just why is that everybody else's fault?"

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Plissken said:

It is infuriating that no-one is asking the questions about how the richest and most successful clubs can owe the most money and in several cases, be in danger of going bust, and that is before we get to "and just why is that everybody else's fault?"

 

It's totally nuts, and the problem is that the biggest clubs are bankrupting themselves to compete with each other - however much money you give Barca or Real they'll spunk it up the wall to sign the latest galactico so the other one can't have them - they could have all the money in the game but it would still just pass straight thru into 'investing' in the squad to win whatever pot is on offer over their hated rivals.

 

There are only ever so many good players in the game available, the money only raises the quality in terms of attracting youngsters in for the riches initially giving a bigger talent pool of natural athletes in the game, and for the clubs to cast their nets and youth facilities wider to develop their own talent rather than buy it in. The latter we're seeing work a little recently for some clubs but they all still do love a big money signing.

 

If that super league happened the quality wouldn't increase, but the transfer fee record would get smashed and we'd see more players on £500k a week. The breakaway clubs would be worse at negotiating than Peter Ridsale staring down an open mouthed Seth Johnsone 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Gotters said:

 

It's totally nuts, and the problem is that the biggest clubs are bankrupting themselves to compete with each other - however much money you give Barca or Real they'll spunk it up the wall to sign the latest galactico so the other one can't have them - they could have all the money in the game but it would still just pass straight thru into 'investing' in the squad to win whatever pot is on offer over their hated rivals.

 

Absolutely.  It's like the Old Firm.  Because they can and do win most trophies, you stop celebrating winning and start celebrating preventing the other club from doing so. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gotters said:

Swiss Ramble doing a brilliant job of highlighting the financial problems currently facing the Super League clubs, and football in general - this looks a lot like a bubble about to pop, or possibly even one that has popped just in slow motion and nobody has realised yet.

 

 

 

And it's notable the two clubs to get cold feet quickest, Chelsea and Man City are effectively debtless regardless of the figures.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dudley said:

 

And it's notable the two clubs to get cold feet quickest, Chelsea and Man City are effectively debtless regardless of the figures.

 

the view seems to be they only signed up as had FOMO of the others doing so, they weren't architects of this.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It must be quite hard for these American investors to understand how you can own a business that has millions of essentially addicted customers who will ultimately pay whatever you ask, travel around the world to consume their product, buy identical versions of merchandise every single year, be a topic people cannot stop talking about and still the only people who make any money from it are the players kicking a bag of wind about every Saturday afternoon. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Gotters said:

 

the view seems to be they only signed up as had FOMO of the others doing so, they weren't architects of this.

 

Yeah, although that of course could absolutely come under the "useful excuse" bucket.

Link to post
Share on other sites


I thought there already was a Premier League Hall of Fame but I was getting it mixed up with the English Football Hall of Fame that Sun Jihai got added to for blatantly political reasons.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Industry decided "halls of fame" get filed alongside "Industry awarding themselves" ceremonies like the Oscars as "Partridge shrug dot gif".

 

It's basically the same as when your big company gives someone in your team a £10 amazon voucher for something but here they seem to expect us to care.  Like, is anyone just learning those 2 were "Pretty good at football" from this news?

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, ryodi said:


I thought there already was a Premier League Hall of Fame but I was getting it mixed up with the English Football Hall of Fame that Sun Jihai got added to for blatantly political reasons.

 

Unreal to think anyone other than Cantona would be the first inductee.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think with these things that's not the way it works, the first inductee isn't "the best", just "good enough".

 

I think the general requirement to be inducted in any given year is "Is good enough and is willing to pose for a picture with a stupid fucking certificate/ Trophy/ pointing at a sign".

Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah, PL hall of fame founding nominee tells them to fuck off cos he's shooting a low budget French language indie film about pig farmers isn't a good look to get this sort of thing going.

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Dudley said:

I think with these things that's not the way it works, the first inductee isn't "the best", just "good enough".

 

 

Shearer and Henry were both miles better than Cantona anyway. I agree though that from an influence perspective he should have been one of the first in.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, MikeBeaver said:

Nah, Cantona wins this one, hands down.

 

I suppose he does, if you highly rate lording it up in the days of @Crap90sFootball cloggers, while achieving the sum total of fuck all in Europe and at international level. ;)

 

He was a very, very good player, and obviously a hugely important figure in the Premier League, but in pure footballing ability he's not even close to the level of those two, who both proved themselves at the highest levels of the game. The overall standard of the league moved on a lot in the years following Cantona's peak.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.