Football Thread 2020/2021

3 hours ago, The Fox said:

Shearer and Henry were both miles better than Cantona anyway.

Regardless of opinions on that, the Premier League's first totemic figure was Cantona. If it's about legacy, as it should be, he'd be first.

Shearer as top scorer is fair enough, although I wonder how people would react to all-time appearance holder Gareth Barry getting in first ballot?

Henry would go in with the first batch of great players, no brainer.

5 minutes ago, Baring said:

Theyre going to start saying Future hall of famer soon for the likes of Milner and Danny Welbeck.

Welbeck will be a shoe in when the Physios Institute start handing out plaques to go up in the treatment room of fame, alongside Theo Walcott and most other Arsenal midfielders of recent years.

9 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Guessing no chance of El Hadji Diouf next season?

Him and Jamie Carragher will be special nominees put forward by Rudi Voeller

The next batch should certainly be predominantly Man Utd players. Keane and Cantona should be shoe-ins. Rooney if he’s eligible. Obviously not Giggs for the time being though.

They'll just work their way down through the number of people willing to give them the time of day.  It's probably no coincidence the first 2 are TV pundits.

8 hours ago, Plissken said:

It is infuriating that no-one is asking the questions about how the richest and most successful clubs can owe the most money and in several cases, be in danger of going bust, and that is before we get to "and just why is that everybody else's fault?"

tis abit old, but, shows how Utd ended up in the mess they are...those cunting fucking parasites the glazers. The amount the club has had to pay to service those "loans" that they didnt take out, is despicable.  And really should be a showcase in rules that should be applied to every club to prevent this happening again!

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/oct/17/glazers-legacy-manchester-united-liverpool

Bloody hell, I love Iheanacho. I hope he never joins RLLMUK and searches for his name though...

He's still capable of the occasional hideous finish or dreadful control but his improvement has been heart-warming.

9 hours ago, Stopharage said:

Bloody hell, I love Iheanacho. I hope he never joins RLLMUK and searches for his name though...

He's still capable of the occasional hideous finish or dreadful control but his improvement has been heart-warming.

It was a cracking finish, but it was against Palace so I think it only counts as a quarter of a goal in real terms.

Hodgson masterclass again, go 2-1 down after 80 minutes, take off midfielders and replace them with...2 midfielders and leave 2 strikers on the bench (and leave Benteke on, who has done fuck all)

So much "be careful what you wish for" in terms of hoping for him to retire, but I don't think I can take another season of utter boredom and frustration, and now his biggest strength (solid defence) has abandoned him I'm not 100% convinced he'll get away with it if there aren't 3 really shit teams next year. 

15 hours ago, Gotters said:

Him and Jamie Carragher will be special nominees put forward by Rudi Voeller

Along with Vieira ;)

Also if Carragher had a pound for every time someone mentioned his spitting from the car, then Arsenal fans should hide :p

6 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Along with Vieira ;)

Also if Carragher had a pound for every time someone mentioned his spitting from the car, then Arsenal fans should hide :p

I think it was the fact it was towards a little girl and not on the pitch that makes it stand out as even worse than most other gob based incidents, and the fact he's so phlegmy and moist when he speaks anyway it just gives people the icks.

Suspect with the plague we've seen the end of on pitch gobbing at each other for a while now.

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

I think it was the fact it was towards a little girl and not on the pitch that makes it stand out as even worse than most other gob based incidents, and the fact he's so phlegmy and moist when he speaks anyway it just gives people the icks.

Suspect with the plague we've seen the end of on pitch gobbing at each other for a while now.

Totally. Not defending it by the way, was disgusting. 

18 hours ago, GamesGamesGames said:

Regardless of opinions on that, the Premier League's first totemic figure was Cantona. If it's about legacy, as it should be, he'd be first.

Shearer as top scorer is fair enough, although I wonder how people would react to all-time appearance holder Gareth Barry getting in first ballot?

Henry would go in with the first batch of great players, no brainer.

It will take years to fill out and it really doesn't matter who gets in first, ultimately just another awards ceremony but I'm with you on Cantona.   He probably wouldn't even get on the bench if we were putting together the best matchday squad Manchester United have had in the Premier League but that's not the point.  Cantona is a a huge part of the equation when it comes to why Manchester United are a superclub, they've always been huge but he was the right man in the right place at the right time when it came to putting them on top of the pile just as huge amounts of money and exposure came into the game, and he was one of the key figures in turning Manchester United and the Premier League into a global brand.  There have been plenty of more talented players in the English game, but few who were more important.   He'll get his invite, he's probably gonna wait until they throw a better party at the ceremony before he accepts. 

26-man squads at the Euros apparently - good news for fringe candidates like Bellingham, Greenwood, Saka etc in theory, although in reality it probably just means Southgate can fulfil his fantasy of having Walker, Trippier, TAA, James and Wan-Bissaka all in the squad.

So who fancies a trip to Albania for the new 3rd tier Europa Conference League next season then ? Thought not.

At least Arsenal are now so bad we're outside of qualifying for the euro johnsons paint trophy, Spurs look good for a spot and will have by far the nicest ground in the competition I'm sure

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/blog-uefa/story/3951212/uefa-europa-conference-league-all-you-need-to-know

2 minutes ago, Gotters said:

So who fancies a trip to Albania for the new 3rd tier Europa Conference League next season then ? Thought not.

I went there once for work, it was alright actually. Nice to be somewhere sufficiently different, great weather too.

4 hours ago, Gotters said:

At least Arsenal are now so bad we're outside of qualifying for the euro johnsons paint trophy, Spurs look good for a spot and will have by far the nicest ground in the competition I'm sure

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/blog-uefa/story/3951212/uefa-europa-conference-league-all-you-need-to-know

but would Tottenham be able to win?

Not that I'm complaining but what in the fuck was the entire Real defence doing there?

Tibo had to commit because 4 defenders were standing there admiring the run by Pulisic.

Domestic TV rights are up for a fresh auction this year but have already been delayed, now the league are sounding out the TV companies and government about rolling over the current deal on similar terms to those they have at present, rather than having a fresh new auction open to other bidders.

If I recall correctly the current setup with packages of games was due to EU rules about no one broadcaster having all the games, ensuring competition. Post Brexit not sure how we stand with those so guess that why they sounding out government too.

Clearly a sign though they are worried about revenue having peaked, better the devil you know who pay up rather than see another new entrant bid stupid high and fail (like say a DAZN might) - several examples of that must be fresh in their minds with Setanta, the chinese deal that went bad last year for the EPL and the French league which is utterly screwed.

2 hours ago, Gotters said:

If I recall correctly the current setup with packages of games was due to EU rules about no one broadcaster having all the games, ensuring competition. Post Brexit not sure how we stand with those so guess that why they sounding out government too.

Unless it's been said otherwise, the rules still stand - Britain copied all EU laws upon exit, while modifying certain ones in the process.

2 hours ago, Dudley said:

If the league instigated it, they expect the price to fall I imagine.

Exactly this.  Dunno if the broadcasters will accept a rollover though, unless their viewership has not generally been unaffected negatively.  It's all about negotiation.

36 minutes ago, Smoothy said:

no one broadcaster having all the games, ensuring competition

Oh, if only this was true competition, like having a selection of colas to choose from, rather than bollocks competition like which train provider to use.