Football Thread 2020/2021

Gotters

Correct.

And to save looking it up

Chelsea have Villa

Leicester have Spurs

Liverpool have Crystal Palace.

So Leicester have the tricky job here., since Spurs have put themselves needing a win to guaranteed Europe of any kind I believe.

I've gone mad there thinking it was Liverpool vs Leicester for some reason.

I hope Leicester do it, but I'm sure they won't be that bothered if they don't.

Could still end up playing Juventus in the Europa League group stages and I'm sure winning the FA Cup for the first time is going to trump playing in the Champions League for the second time every day of the week.

For years FIFA have enviously eyed the prestige and money of the CL, whilst their own world club championship is shown on BBC3 (or their global equivalents), guess they saw this as the backdoor into establishing a global super league with commensurate TV deals and the biggest names from Europe all involved.

Just now, dr_manhattan^ said:

Not gonna lie, this one will take some getting over.  Adore that man.

Yep - Nuno IS Wolves.  Easily the greatest manager of my time following the club, and probably the best we've ever had after Stan Cullis.

Wonder if it's because he's had an offer elsewhere or the people in charge think he's been poor. I mean, this season hasn't been great for Wolves but it's hardly been a regular season and losing Jota to Liverpool and Jimenez to injury won't have helped at all either. I think it's a mistake to get rid, unless he's decided to leave himself.

I would be amazed if Fosun have made the decision - if I had to guess, it'd be the toll this season has taken on him being away from his family and the whole campaign stagnated by injuries, covid, no pre-season etc etc.  They've said mutual consent - maybe he feels he's taken us as far as he can?  

Of course, he could also have agreed to take over at Spurs but I fucking hope not.

I am genuinely gutted by this - a proper punch to the guts.

Time will tell, but I think the most likely thing is the man needs a break.  He wears his heart on his sleeve and things did seem to weigh him down.

He had such a strong connection to the fans, not being with them did honestly seem to hurt him.

I might be wrong, he might have a cock on his chest on Monday, but I think he's just drained.

Hope Fosun have a plan.

Anyway, thank you Nuno, fucking love you man.

Genuinely shocked by that. From the outside, he really is a one-of-a-kind and a perfect fit for how Wolves are set up and I see Bielsa at Leeds in a similar way.

I don't know if there was something Nuno wanted that the ownership wouldn't give him. He doesn't feel like the sort of person to cause Mourinho style drama with the board but I don't think he would settle for running a squad on no money like Dyche has to.

Gutted for Wolves fans everywhere though. A bad day.

Seems a sensible move all round, he'd done a good job there and clearly the fans appreciated that, but they have become an awful team to watch this year and the whole thing looked stale. I always disliked watching them as they were so 'pragmatic', his approach felt a sterile joyless way to play a game of football, even if it was able to get results.

I doubt Spurs are knocking at his door.

Replacement looks like been identified already, if they can get a work permit

1 hour ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Fuck

Pretty saddened by the news he's off, especially as now it makes the last game of the season even more of a battle / send off for the team and manager, will make things difficult for UNited.

Will be pretty shit if he's been poached by Spurs though, they don't deserve him, he's too good to be a bit Spursy :(