Football Thread 2020/2021

Gotters

Just now, David Kenny said:

Really hope Villareal can do this. For a club of that size to win a major European trophy would be an amazing achievement.

Well, you're going on ignore....

31 minutes ago, grounded_dreams said:

So looks like the rumours are true:

Its time for Chris Wilder to step up ;)

Time for Big Sam to have a go, surely. He’ll be sufficiently exotic there. 

Just now, ryodi said:

Villarreal deserved it because all of their penalties were excellent and United got away with a couple of shockers until De Gea missed.

Their later ones yes, there were a couple of near howlers in the first few.

Just now, GwiDan said:

How often has penalties gone far enough that the goalies have to take one!? 

Not often, there was an English cup match fairly recently that went round twice.

1 minute ago, Plissken said:

I'd fancy my chances taking a penalty against De Gea.  He never even looked like saving one.  Having said that, he looked like me taking one.

Could he have saved his own penalty.

8 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Could he have saved his own penalty.

Quite possibly.  

It was that weak he could have took it, ran into goal and then in all likelihood based on the other 11 pens he tried to save let it roll under him.:doh:

53 minutes ago, Dudley said:

You had one job De Gea.

Well 2 jobs.

Well technically 11 jobs.

So shit tonight he couldn't even save his own job... utterly gutted :(

And yes, I wanted him to play in this game, but we fucked it...

I didn't watch the game (though I see that there were only 3 shots in total so it sounds like it wasn't a cracker) but you can't blame De Gea for the failure of the rest of the team to actually, you know, produce something. Didn't Rashford miss an absolute sitter? Why isn't he getting blamed?

On 23/05/2021 at 18:35, sith said:

They bottled it. Plain and simple. Losing Evans against Newcastle should not be an excuse at all. It has to be a mental thing!

They bottled it. Plain and simple. Losing Maguire against Villa should not be an excuse at all. It has to be a mental thing! 

I’m being facetious and antagonistic there but it serves to prove a point.  United under Ole seem to have an issue jumping over those final hurdles to win cups.  That’s either a mental issue or a managerial issue.  In a final where one team has a net spend of -€15m in the last 5 years compared to the other’s €609m, you’re unlikely to get the licence to play open, attacking football. Emery outmanaged Ole and whilst those detractors who label him a ‘PE teacher’ are being unfair, yesterday’s games showed his limitations. I love Rashford but what was he still doing on the pitch at the end? And when a team plays deep against them, where is the tactical nous to change things about?

The penalty shootout was a cruel way to lose the game and whilst the standard of penalties was incredibly high, De Gea looked far less likely to save one than Rulli. Ole could do nothing about the denouement, however I never had the faith he had the tactical variation to affect the game during the 120 minutes. Ultimately, the magnificence of Bruno (and with less frequency, others) has papered over the off field deficiencies in the last few years. 

I’m a Leicester fan, however for years my stepdad tried to get me to support United, buying me kits, taking me to games etc. I have photos of me in a United kit before I ever had a Leicester one. So I’ll always have a soft spot for them and be more critical of them than other teams. I just don’t think Ole has the ability to win them the major trophies. To hark back to my first point, I really don’t think it’s a mental thing, when you have a team with extremely strong-minded, World Cup winning players with real pedigree. Throwing money at the issues has been the Woodward approach so far but this hasn’t really worked in recent years. I’m not sure I can see Ole winning a major trophy with United, such as the league or the Champion’s League. I would genuinely love to be proven wrong, 

I'd like to see Emery get one of the big 2 in Spain, he's clearly an excellent coach as his record with teams in the Europa league is amazing, especially considering the size/quality of the teams in question (he even got Arsenal to the final).

The accepted wisdom is language was a problem at both PSG & Arsenal, but the theory was also he couldn't handle bigger name players. Only way to get to the bottom of that is to have a go with bigger name Spanish speakers at one of Barca or Real.

He's a bit of a Spanish Brendan Rodgers at present.

Statement from the 2nd and 3rd best teams in the Spanish League and the 4th best team in the Italian League

The clubs said they "wish to express their absolute rejection of the insistent coercion that Uefa has been maintaining towards three of the most relevant institutions in the history of football.

"The opening of disciplinary proceedings by Uefa is incomprehensible and is a direct attack against the rule of law".

They added that they "remain strong in their willingness to debate, respectfully and through dialogue, the urgent solutions that football currently needs".

8 hours ago, Timmo said:

To all the United fans whinging about Villareal and how they didn't try to play football, the city of Villareal has a population which is less than the capacity of Old Trafford. So shut up.

Unless Villarreal are forced to pick their players only from the local population, this kind of thing is meaningless.

Apparently that is 40 pens in a row now for Utd & Spain that De Gea hasn't saved. Pens have a conversion rate of 76% so to let that many in a row past you is quite special. Makes Cech in his Arsenal stint look like peak era Paul Cooper at Ipswich for saving from the spot. 

45 minutes ago, ckny said:

Unless Villarreal are forced to pick their players only from the local population, this kind of thing is meaningless.

I think (in a odd way) the point is more that they have a team thats vastly smaller and underfunded compared to Man United. A team based on a net spend -€15m over the last fews years or something, compared to United +£600m. But hey it's football, sometimes the little guys just come out on top.

1 minute ago, Stigweard said:

I think (in a odd way) the point is more that they have a team thats vastly smaller and underfunded compared to Man United. A team based on a net spend -€15m over the last fews years or something, compared to United +£600m. But hey it's football, sometimes the little guys just come out on top.

Yeah this is it. The only point is that they were massive underdogs.