Football Thread 2020/2021

Gotters

So England have two League winning right backs, the Champions League winning right back and the world's best attacking right back. Whatever decision Southgate makes is gonna get criticised. 😳

15 minutes ago, Gotters said:

I think the narrative will be Pep overthought it and messed it up, City were bad etc.

I think Tuchel got it spot on and just snuffed them out

Tuchel has had the beating of Guardiola all season, beat them twice recently before tonight didn't they?

Absolutely brilliant. Kante is an absolute machine.

1 minute ago, Hamus said:

Amazing scenes.

Absolute fair play to Chelsea beating one of the most expensively assembled teams backed by billions.

A real rags to riches story for Chelsea, brings a tear to the eye.

I read this getting steadily angrier and then let out a big sigh of relief when I realised you were joking. 

2 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

I read this getting steadily angrier and then let out a big sigh of relief when I realised you were joking. 

loose-women-itv-170119-00_09_01_08-still018.thumb.jpg.a73a09cf84fdd06c1432bbf2b12f9a25.jpg

7 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

Is that a pattern?

Since 1990 Marseille, Sampdoria, Valencia, Monaco, Arsenal, Chelsea,  Spurs,  PSG and Man City have all lost in their first appearance in the final.

2 minutes ago, ryodi said:

Since 1990 Marseille, Sampdoria, Valencia, Monaco, Arsenal, Chelsea,  Spurs,  PSG and Man City have all lost in their first appearance in the final.

9 times out of 31. What sort of pattern is this classified as.

Mostly it was the worstest team (obviously any Spurs team in a final), aside from that...?

35 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

City, 1 attempt on target all game. Jesus, that's terrible.

They would have had more if they didn’t insist on getting into the six yard box and then passing it sideways.

39 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

City, 1 attempt on target all game. Jesus, that's terrible.

Bit harsh blaming it all on the lad.  He only came on for the last twenty minutes!!!! 😉

29 minutes ago, ryodi said:

Fuck, I forgot Chelsea lost one before they won it.

I forgot Terry's trip. I might be getting old.

I'm a Chelsea fan, but I don't think it's controversial to say that Chelsea thoroughly deserved that. They were superb for the whole game, and really should have been out of sight by half time. The fact that they weren't necessitated a rear guard action that was faultlessly executed. 

I was disappointed to see Lampard sacked but don't mind admitting that he is simply not at the level of someone like Tuchel. Who has taken the same players, and in some cases players Lampard had side-lined, and made them look like the world beaters they are. Next season should be very interesting.

3 hours ago, Plissken said:

They would have had more if they didn’t insist on getting into the six yard box and then passing it sideways.

I think this about Leeds sometimes, always one pass too many, just have a shot dammit! I think it's just the 'modern way' to try and pass it in.

I can see Chelsea winning the league next year. 

15 hours ago, bradigor said:

Really happy for Brentford. 

next up good luck to Chelsea. I want a happy @Dudley by the end of the night

Wooooooooooooo!

14 hours ago, Marlowe said:

I do find the attempt to paint Chelsea as huge underdogs laughable considering they've beat City twice in recent months. 

Good to see Pep going all out attack tonight. 

I wanted to break out this because I saw people having a go at Pep for changing his usual approach tonight and that's utter bollocks.

Because as you point out, his "Normal approach" has failed twice in a row against these opponents.  If he'd beaten Chelsea both times THEN changed approach that would have been weird.

Yep, said last night that it was more about what Tuchel did than any failing of Pep. I liked his description of wanting Chelsea to be 'the stone in their shoe' the whole match, it was so successful it was more like filling their boots with gravel. 

Lowest xG City have managed all season in any match shows how well they were shut down and Chelsea created the better chances (and xG). It wasn't a flukey backs to the wall win because City choked, far from it. 

London teams now move level with Nottingham for CL/Euopean cup wins. 

32 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Because as you point out, his "Normal approach" has failed twice in a row against these opponents.  If he'd beaten Chelsea both times THEN changed approach that would have been weird.

Er, they definitely did not use the 'normal approach' in the second domestic league meeting. That was a bizarre line-up.

Multiple facial fractures for De Bruyne, I thought it was a cynical block by Rudiger but nothing violent. Did De bruyne run into the protective mask Rudiger was wearing, often thought those had potential to be dangerous. If you can't play without one you aren't fit to play.