Football Thread 2020/2021

Returning to 3pm Saturday kick offs for all would also benefit the fans who go to the games. But then there are a lot of things that would benefit the fans who go to games at the expense of the people selling the tickets and doing the broadcasting, so we can't have that.

On 24/10/2020 at 09:15, DirkCrisis said:

Shane Duffy Defence Force activate!

I think you’ll have your work cut out. Celtic have fallen to pieces since this clown turned up. 8 goals conceded in their last 3 games, 5 of which were arguably his fault :doh:

Goldson and Balogun however are flying, cheers! :hat:

PL meeting tomorrow and the clubs will be discussing/voting on the PPV situation - can't see them removing it entirely as that will be too much of a loss of face, I suspect they'll reduce it to £9.95 saying 'we've listened to you all and hear your complaints blah blah blah'

I followed suit and donated my PPV money to a food bank in line with some of the of fans of other PPV affected clubs. I have a feeling that paying £15 to watch Brighton West Brom will result in a 1-0 victory for the Baggies so whilst my stance is mostly ideological, I will admit to at least 15% of the decision being driven by superstition.

There was a rumour that less than 1000 paid for West Brom v Burnley. Wonder how true that is.

1 hour ago, DirkCrisis said:

There was a rumour that less than 1000 paid for West Brom v Burnley. Wonder how true that is.

926 less, apparently. The rumour a few days ago was a sweet haul of 74 buys.

4 minutes ago, footle said:

I don’t know that I believe there are 140,000 people willing to pay £15 for Arsenal/Leicester. On tv.

Could be a typo, could have been 140 people.

He corrected it in a subsequent tweet with the household numbers:

Even Mike Ashley is against it.

Newcastle United owner, Mike Ashley, has issued the following statement in relation to the Premier League's current pay-per-view arrangements:

"I am calling on the Premier League to immediately act and review its current pay-per-view arrangements for live matches in the UK.

"Charging £14.95 for single televised matches in the current climate it is not acceptable to any football fan.

"Supporters have overwhelmingly rejected this offer and the Premier League must now act.

"Why not make it much more accessible at £4.95 per match until Christmas?

"The Government should waive VAT on the above pay-per-view matches so that as many of those who are unable to attend matches in person can at least watch their team.

"The profit from the above reduced-price pay-per-view option, I would suggest that 50% would be retained by Premier League and 50% would go to the football pyramid below.

"As a club, Newcastle United did vote in favour of the pay-per-view proposal, but to be clear, this was because there were no realistic or any viable alternatives put forward to enable supporters to watch matches."

Must be doing terribly:lol:

1 hour ago, glb said:

Could be a typo, could have been 140 people.

He corrected it in a subsequent tweet with the household numbers:

From this we can deduce that Leicester and Villa fans live alone, while Arsenal fans are in some kind of ménage à trois situation.

And the three part highlights of Argentina's MOTD equivalent is good fun too.

Maradona.  One of the worlds biggest arseholes, idiots and batshit lunatics - but by God, what he could do with a football is just mesmerising.  And in a time of muddy pitches and defenders who carried weaponry. 

11 hours ago, bear said:

The way Barca are structured you can't sack the elected board, but could call a vote of no confidence if enough members vote for it, but they didn't as the club rules meant the elections for a new board would run later than this lot finishing their term anyway.

Not sure of the angle in resigning now like this other than the club is about to implode both financially and on the pitch and he simply can't be arsed with it anymore.

11 minutes ago, Naysonymous said:

https://streamable.com/q31qwo

video of the penalty if you’re interested.  

thanks, I stand by my previous post.

all diving drives me mad, but when its a huge club doing it against relative minnows its somehow even worse, pathetic behaviour on his part and then we have the madness of VAR backing up the call.