Football Thread 2020/2021

2 minutes ago, spork said:

Only if Gotters gets the chance to suggest something equally sinister for a chosen Liverpool fan.

I don't know of any Liverpool fan who posts more about another team than the one they support? Who did you have in mind?

12 minutes ago, Gotters said:

I just see myself as a football speaker of truths @gospvg, some clubs have more truths that need speaking about. 

Is that the George Washington truth or Donald Trump truth? You certainly seem to have an attraction to Liverpool Football Club.

Just now, gospvg said:

Is that the George Washington truth or Donald Trump truth? You certainly seem to have an attraction to Liverpool Football Club.

I know my answer to that but suspect club allegiances may make others see differently.

I blame my formative school years in the 80s and tv's insistence ever since of having at least 75% of any football pundits or co-commentators being scouse or scouse aligned.

Anyway Jose seems to back me up partially in his recent interview - he's clearly wrong on Harry Kane but agrees Arsenal aren't deserving of calling out on this (but suspect thats as we don't get in the opposition box much under Arteta)

“Speak about Manchester United, Manchester City, Liverpool, clever guys where somebody blows on them and they are on the floor. Speak about those guys, not Harry Kane."

24 minutes ago, Gotters said:

I blame my formative school years in the 80s and tv's insistence ever since of having at least 75% of any football pundits or co-commentators being scouse or scouse aligned.

There you go we can agree on something :)

in something else we can all agree on news looks like the EPL will be abandoning the PPV 'experiment' for the rest of this year after this weekend when they come back from the international break - all games to go back live on Sky/BT/Amazon like before - I suspect they'll hang this on the new lockdown and nothing to do with the terrible PR around it all.

Rangers away to Benfica there was a bastard crazy game of football, the vast majority looked like the best I’ve seen Gerrard’s team play, while 3 lapses in concentration contributed to a massive kick in the stones. 3-3 in the end, from being 3-1 up against 10 men. Ultimately a decent result, but definitely one of those draws that feels like a defeat. 90th minute equaliser from losing the ball outside their box with a bullshit non-pass when we should be hitting corner flags will make you feel that way. I’m trying to convince myself to not be gutted but it’s not working yet.

7 points out of a possible 9 is a great first half of the campaign. But still. Fucking blew what could and should have been a famous result. Definitely a strange one.

11 hours ago, the_debaser said:

Jesus wept. Shane Duffy is absolutely rank. He’s had the worst few performances I’ve ever seen a defender have in a Celtic top. Needs to be dropped for his own sake. 

Look, you haven't seen 2016 Blackburn Rovers Shane Duffy when he scored 2 own goals and got a red card in the game against Cardiff. Celtic are lucky they don't have that Shane Duffy (yet).

I'm beginning to see why Potter wouldn't let him near the first team unless our need was dire.

State of this:

image.gif.28a8586121d2cf2dcce0b653855bc619.gif

His reaction there is the exact same reaction you see on any given fives pitch whenever a mess of a guy who knows he’s shite has been skinned and let everyone down again. He looks like me getting skinned at PE football knowing full well I was in for an absolute slating.

I didn't pay for the game but it felt like another case of "How have we failed to win that?" again.

We have a fair amount of forwards but Maupay and Connolly seem to lack the cutting edge, Welbeck lacks match fitness and Zequiri was playing Swiss postmen last season.

Makes me feel happier about the Villa. We’ve played the clubs who currently sit 1st, 2nd & 3rd in the league and we’re still in the top half with at least one game in hand over everybody.  I’m sure Arsenal will beat us this weekend but we’ve had a bunch of tough fixtures to open the season with.  

2 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

Makes me feel happier about the Villa. We’ve played the clubs who currently sit 1st, 2nd & 3rd in the league and we’re still in the top half with at least one game in hand over everybody.  I’m sure Arsenal will beat us this weekend but we’ve had a bunch of tough fixtures to open the season with.  

Arsenal--Wolves--Leicester--Spurs--Man City--Liverpool  :quote:

Probably the hardest start we've had and we *always* get bollock difficult starts.