Football Thread 2020/2021

4 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

RTE have reported that it was two and a half minutes of football triumphs over England, and thirty seconds of Anglo-Irish history.

The latter is tone deaf. Even ignoring the few players that were born in England, there's the small matter that the majority of the squad play there, and have English partners, children, families and friends. 

There's enough footballing history to pump up the team without resorting to stoking anti-English sentiment, which belongs in the past.

30 seconds of John Terry is definitely a sackable offence. 

Or it might have been Rio Ferdinand shouting "you got merked" - remember that?

Absolute scenes in the MLS playoffs.

Orlando City win their shootout against NYC after their keeper saves the penultimate penalty.
But VAR rules he has come off his line before the ball is kicked.
Which is a yellow card offence. 
And he's already been booked.

And... well it descends into utter farce from there.

Here's FIFTEEN MINUTES WORTH of ridiculousness, that just gets worse and worse.

Pt 1 https://streamable.com/dnxsnn

Pt 2 https://streamable.com/w424ya

35 minutes ago, Pants McSkill said:

Absolute scenes in the MLS playoffs.

Orlando City win their shootout against NYC after their keeper saves the penultimate penalty.
But VAR rules he has come off his line before the ball is kicked.
Which is a yellow card offence. 
And he's already been booked.

And... well it descends into utter farce from there.

Here's FIFTEEN MINUTES WORTH of ridiculousness, that just gets worse and worse.

Pt 1 https://streamable.com/dnxsnn

Pt 2 https://streamable.com/w424ya

My word... That provided me with big LOL's. 

How the fuck they got that so wrong..

17 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

I think you could make a compelling case for Pepe being the biggest transfer flop of the Premier League era. There’s probably worse players, but not for that money.

I'm sure Man Utd have at least a few players in recent years who would compete for this award.

I know Sky have to talk up games and make it seem like shock results will be on the cards, but their constant reference to Liverpool’s injuries is increasingly annoying. Leicester have 3 of their first choice back four out, as well as Ndidi. The way Sky are waffling on it’s as if Liverpool have got their U19s out. 

Don't get me wrong, Sky have done an awful lot to improve the standard of football coverage, tactical understanding and broadening the range of pundits, but they do talk up stuff to a frustrating degree and make some dopey decisions. Super Sunday, Destiny Day, the endless Breaking News ticker, using Merson in Sky Bet ads etc. It obviously works. 

28 minutes ago, Stopharage said:

I know Sky have to talk up games and make it seem like shock results will be on the cards, but their constant reference to Liverpool’s injuries is increasingly annoying. Leicester have 3 of their first choice back four out, as well as Ndidi. The way Sky are waffling on it’s as if Liverpool have got their U19s out. 

It’s just a bigger story, always will be. Bigger club, better team. The possibility of us losing is a story. All due respect Leicester losing isn’t much of a story.

13 minutes ago, Stopharage said:

Don't get me wrong, Sky have done an awful lot to improve the standard of football coverage, tactical understanding and broadening the range of pundits, but they do talk up stuff to a frustrating degree and make some dopey decisions. Super Sunday, Destiny Day, the endless Breaking News ticker, using Merson in Sky Bet ads etc. It obviously works. 

Sky are just shite. Too much hyperbole ask the time.

10 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Patrice Evra is going home to cleanse himself in bleach. He must feel proper dirty.

I realise you're making an easy joke, but I do hate this kind of tribal mentality that persists amongst some fans. I don't think I've ever heard a regular pundit let club rivalry cloud their comments (for starters they'd be a pretty rubbish pundit) and Neville, Ferdinand and even Keane always give credit where due. As do those with Tottenham/Arsenal, Man City/Man Utd, Liverpool/Everton etc connections do.

3 minutes ago, Gabe said:

I realise you're making an easy joke, but I do hate this kind of tribal mentality that persists amongst some fans. I don't think I've ever heard a regular pundit let club rivalry cloud their comments (for starters they'd be a pretty rubbish pundit) and Neville, Ferdinand and even Keane always give credit where due. As do those with Tottenham/Arsenal, Man City/Man Utd, Liverpool/Everton etc connections do.

Graham Souness.

8 minutes ago, Gabe said:

He even make the same joke himself. It's was just that a joke. Christ on a bike.

Happy for United fans to call me out, but I one off the least bitter against them in here.

Just now, bradigor said:

He even make the same joke himself. It's was just that a joke. Christ on a bike.

What? I even said I knew you were joking, but there are plenty of fans that do think like that which was my broader point. Christ on a bike, indeed.