IGNORED

Football Thread 2020/2021

Gotters

15 minutes ago, Pants McSkill said:

Not a dig in any way here: Those who think Grealish should be in the England squad, who should he replace?

Genuinely curious, as good a season as he's had, I can't see what he brings that we don't get elsewhere, and more pertinently, it appears to me other players do things he doesn't.

I'm very happy to be shown otherwise on either point.

Like I said, not a dig.

I'm guessing Foden and Mount have been selected instead, and I'd argue that he's better than Mount right now (but with less of a goal threat). He's an amazing ball carrier which I think we lack elsewhere in our midfielders. I think he should be there.

Winks should be nowhere near the team but I'm guessing he's there as a backup CDM, somewhere we are sorely lacking.

Yeah, I think Phillips could be England quality for sure, excited to see how he does.

The only place we lack is CB and arguably LB, assuming Pope can handle the pressure. Hopefully Gomez steps up and we have a couple more emerge this season (White?). We've actually got a brilliant squad of individuals now. If they click we could be genuinely good. I don't really count our World Cup run as an achievement, it felt like we were less bad than other teams rather than good.

4 minutes ago, Timmo said:

Yeah, I think Phillips could be England quality for sure, excited to see how he does.

The only place we lack is CB and arguably LB, assuming Pope can handle the pressure. Hopefully Gomez steps up and we have a couple more emerge this season (White?). 

LB?  Charlie Taylor says hello.  I don't think that he's quite there yet but he's definitely worthy of mention in the conversation.  If Greenwood and Phillips are worth a call up and a cup of coffee, then Taylor most definitely is.

Winks and Phillips together is interesting when Rice is in there too. I'm not sure what bringing all three gives us.

From what I've seen, I'd say Mount gives us more solidity than Grealish - while Grealish is a better ball carrier, he's played on the left for most of the season, where we have an abundance of quality and where he's allowed to drift and create. Mount is more centrally used, and puts a fair old shift in defensively too.

Out left - Sterling has recently been shifted over there to make room for Sancho on the right, and of course Rashford and Greenwood both play there.

And while Grealish can play AMC (Villa fans can confirm/correct this), I can't remember Southgate playing a 4231 much and utilising that role. But we have played 433, with the two outside CMs being runners/creators, and that would fit our midfielders better.

1 minute ago, Art Vandelay said:

I think it's refreshing we've got a manager that calls up players he feels can fit into his system rather than filling the squad with jigsaw pieces and working out what to do with them all later. 

totally agree - years of trying to badly wedge Lampard and Gerrard into the same midfield have clearly been taken on by Southgate 

I don't disagree with the sentiment.  I just think that it falls over when you end up picking a goalkeeper for his distribution prowess and not on his ability to keep the ball out of the net.

Grealish is going to become a sort of this generations Le Tissier, in that he's a great player but he doesn't fit in.

At this point I don't know what Pickford has to do to get dropped - he's a clown. 

Not that I think he's leaving Barca but be fascinating to see what Messi would cost in fantasy football at City - with the top players (Salah/Mane/Auba) at £12m wonder if Messi would command a super premium of £13m. 

This feels a bit like Neymar in that it started off seemingly unlikely but there are more and more reports coming through. Certainly way more than any other time Messi has said he's unhappy and clearly just wanted a pay rise.

Also, the journalist who first reported the Neymar move has said that Messi has chosen City.

Messi is on 25m a year in basic pay (I saw 100m a year once image rights and bonuses were factored in).  He doesn't need a pay rise, he just wants one more Champions League.

Because of that, I can't see him staying at Barca when his contract is up.  City would be the most likely choice and if he does, then I am so going to watch him at t'Turf.  (Zlatan was injured both times while at Man United.)

13 minutes ago, Plissken said:

Messi is on 25m a year in basic pay (I saw 100m a year once image rights and bonuses were factored in).  He doesn't need a pay rise, he just wants one more Champions League.

Because of that, I can't see him staying at Barca when his contract is up.  City would be the most likely choice and if he does, then I am so going to watch him at t'Turf.  (Zlatan was injured both times while at Man United.)

this guys is pretty reliable on such matters, and seen this reported in several places.

I like the point that was made elsewhere that measured financially, not in prestige, the only clubs it would make sense to pay that much for him are those in the championship trying to get promo'd. 

Clubs now license out shirt sales to the manufacturers, there are no more seats to sell in grounds for the elite clubs, his age carries no resale. It's a prestige marquee signing if you do get him, a statement of intent and grandeur. 

45 minutes ago, Gotters said:

this guys is pretty reliable on such matters, and seen this reported in several places.

I like the point that was made elsewhere that measured financially, not in prestige, the only clubs it would make sense to pay that much for him are those in the championship trying to get promo'd. 

Ha! That's a good point!

It's really simple.

Messi is wrong, and will lose.

Seems the fact is that the clause was time limited and it expired.  Makes no difference whether the season was extended or not, plenty of footballers had to sign new agreements or short-term extensions to their contracts in order to continue playing for their clubs (here's an example), also plenty of other footballers exercised their right to leave when the contracts expired July 1st 2020 regardless of status of leagues.

At the end of the day, it's his fault for not explicitly asking to extend the contract terms.  

He's not going anywhere.

EDIT:

This is essentially the legal battle that could now play out between Barcelona and their star player. 

Messi and his family are clear that the June 10 activation date for the termination clause would be extended beyond the end of the season. Their reasoning is that if Messi’s contract had expired this summer instead of in 2021, that the club would have expected him to honour all the relevant stipulations in playing out the deal despite the interruption and extension of the season.

Wrong.  There were players who, when the contract finished in July 2021 upped and left.  Somehow basing his belief on him thinking that Barcelona would make him stay beyond if his contract had finished July 2020 and not July 2021 so that makes it OK is nonsense.

Can't agree with you I am afraid (Well maybe Charlie Nicholas), as I enjoyed the banter on Soccer Saturday amongst Jeff and the team.

Think Le Tissier definitely was getting a little too political for Sky's liking.:bye:

4 hours ago, Smoothy said:

It's really simple.

Messi is wrong, and will lose.

Seems the fact is that the clause was time limited and it expired.  Makes no difference whether the season was extended or not, plenty of footballers had to sign new agreements or short-term extensions to their contracts in order to continue playing for their clubs (here's an example), also plenty of other footballers exercised their right to leave when the contracts expired July 1st 2020 regardless of status of leagues.

At the end of the day, it's his fault for not explicitly asking to extend the contract terms.  

He's not going anywhere.

EDIT:

Wrong.  There were players who, when the contract finished in July 2021 upped and left.  Somehow basing his belief on him thinking that Barcelona would make him stay beyond if his contract had finished July 2020 and not July 2021 so that makes it OK is nonsense.

I'd almost certainly bet on the fact his legal team privately know that he has no leg to stand on with regards to the clause, but are hopeful the threat of a long and drawn out legal saga will bring Barca to the table to come to an agreement to avoid the disruption it would cause. 

My favourite recent Barcelona story is that after De Jong joined them last summer he was shocked when he found out how little they were worked in training as the older players had so much power that they were able to pretty much dictate that they wanted to do less training. He ended up hiring his own personal coach to keep his fitness levels up. Pretty crazy that player power can be that bad.

1 hour ago, Smoothy said:

Yes, exactly.  Total gamesplaying politics there, with the aim is to get a new more favourable contract for a 33-year-old fading genius, and to let Koeman know who the real boss is.

Everyone knows that Koeman is out at the end of the season anyway.

What I have learned from the Messi business is that a bureaufax (not a fax) is a legally admissible way of sending documents in Spain - Messi didnt send them a handwritten scrawl which came out on a tightly rolled sheet of thermal paper.