IGNORED

Football Thread 2020/2021

Gotters

Leeds have 2 international centre backs out injured and no proper cover. Now it looks like Cooper is injured so we have no senior centre backs. 

It's clear defending is our issue, other than the odd dodgy pass. 

We're certainly never dull. What a game!

@Mike1812

The theory is that more experienced and better players will allow us to execute our system better, with the endpoint being peak Barca level or whatever. 

However while experienced centre backs are going to help, the vulnerability is a function of how we play. Even properly world class teams can take a beating when the high press and constant attacking goes wrong. Villa dismantled Liverpool earlier in the season and were a long way from that. 

So screw it, we're gonna take some beatings. When it comes off it's pure joy. 40 points, strengthen the team and go again. He'll if we go down, keep at it. Wouldn't be the first team to yo yo before establishing themselves. 

But like, West Ham have a better team than us. Would you want to be them? 

6 minutes ago, Yobo Ahoy said:

Since when is 'big chances' a stat?

it's been used for a while, not sure of the exact method but think its a shot with above a certain level of xG, though Opta say “a situation where a player should reasonably be expected to score (usually in a one-on-one scenario or from very close range)”.

it's a bit vague but gives an idea of if a team have been peppering in desperate long range shots with no hope of scoring or are genuinely carving a team open but have Lacazette on the end of those slick moves.

14 hours ago, kensei said:

We play with zero compromise. The risk is we take a beating from better teams. Payoff is results like Newcastle last week. We just need to get to 40 points. 

I don't know if the problem is "better teams" considering you just got battered by United at Old Trafford. I think the problem is that if you commit completely to defending one against one all over the pitch, you suddenly become very vulnerable when an opponent beats his man, especially in the middle of the park. The number of breaks United created that were four on three or four on four was amazing, and they generally came about from McTominay or James running past one Leeds player, or one pass setting James or Rashford away and their opponent not being able to keep up. This wasn't Iniesta waltzing through your midfield, it was Scott McTominay. It was passes out of the back by Fred. Other pretty average teams should be able to replicate that.  I'd be worried.

12 hours ago, BabelRich said:

Oh look. Another utter horse shit VAR call against Villa. 

:coffee:

I can only conclude Olly Watkins is shagging the wife of someone who works at Stockley Park, and they've found out about it. 

I'm still really happy about how the season is going.  The table is so congested at the moment that league position isn't really too much of a factor as after tonight's fixtures we will have two games in hand over 16 other clubs and we are still in the thick of it.  We've played well in the games we've lost (especially West Ham and Brighton which we totally should have won) and the obviously weak squad has coped pretty well this week when injuries and suspensions have kicked in.  I wanted 50 points this season, right now we are probably on for 60+ which should be enough for top eight.  If we get there I'll be absolutely delighted. 

2 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

I don't know if the problem is "better teams" considering you just got battered by United at Old Trafford. I think the problem is that if you commit completely to defending one against one all over the pitch, you suddenly become very vulnerable when an opponent beats his man, especially in the middle of the park. The number of breaks United created that were four on three or four on four was amazing, and they generally came about from McTominay or James running past one Leeds player, or one pass setting James or Rashford away and their opponent not being able to keep up. This wasn't Iniesta waltzing through your midfield, it was Scott McTominay. It was passes out of the back by Fred. Other pretty average teams should be able to replicate that.  I'd be worried.

Imagine the shit Ole would be getting from the pundits and the press if we conceded 6 and he did absolutely nothing to try and change things up. It would be carnage! Instead Bielsa gets non stop praise as plucky little Leeds concede a 6th goal against a team who had only managed to score 4 goals at home this season. 

Very strange!

2 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

Dude, Crystal Palace knocked 4 past us. Man United fans might not rate their team, but its an order of magnitude better than ours - a significant proportion of which finished mid table in the Championship pre Bielsa. 

Worried? Of course I am. It is very easy for a promoted side to go on a bad run and get into a death spiral. Every team is dangerous to us. We would not be the first to come up and try to play, and get our asses handed to us. But is parking the bus going to make a difference? No! We're only here because of how we play. 

It's also wrong to suggest Bielsa doesn't change anything. He adjusts the shape of the side, the formation and the tactics, often mid game. He's made some very astute subs over the past few seasons. What he doesn't and won't change is the strategy and philosophy of the team. I expect us to tighten up, particularly when players come back. He'll sort out the corners. But he's not going to park the bus at Old Trafford or Annfield or wherever, so we can get beat 2-0 instead of 6-2.

When it works, McZidane doesn't get that space. We hold possession, we press, we knock in our chances and pressure comes on the opposition. When it malfunctions, we get a boatload knocked past us and look stupid. It's a high wire act.

I doubt we'll ever win more than a league cup ever again, given modern football economics. I'm all in for this. 

I'd rather Arsenal played like Leeds than the way they currently do, losing, regardless of the scoreline, would be far less shit if the players gave a fuck and if the manager would haul off some of the lazy bastards.

Just on twitter and this popped up again on my timeline and I'm utterly baffled at everything going on here to measure the offside by VAR officials.

The line for Madisson is being taken from a part of the body you can't score with and Auriers line is coming off the inside of his right foot, not the outside of his left foot or left shoulder.

This is all just such BS.

image.thumb.png.c2d00800ee8f446ff31bc5bdc2518cc0.png

1 hour ago, kensei said:

Dude, Crystal Palace knocked 4 past us. Man United fans might not rate their team, but its an order of magnitude better than ours - a significant proportion of which finished mid table in the Championship pre Bielsa. 

Worried? Of course I am. It is very easy for a promoted side to go on a bad run and get into a death spiral. Every team is dangerous to us. We would not be the first to come up and try to play, and get our asses handed to us. But is parking the bus going to make a difference? No! We're only here because of how we play. 

It's also wrong to suggest Bielsa doesn't change anything. He adjusts the shape of the side, the formation and the tactics, often mid game. He's made some very astute subs over the past few seasons. What he doesn't and won't change is the strategy and philosophy of the team. I expect us to tighten up, particularly when players come back. He'll sort out the corners. But he's not going to park the bus at Old Trafford or Annfield or wherever, so we can get beat 2-0 instead of 6-2.

When it works, McZidane doesn't get that space. We hold possession, we press, we knock in our chances and pressure comes on the opposition. When it malfunctions, we get a boatload knocked past us and look stupid. It's a high wire act.

I doubt we'll ever win more than a league cup ever again, given modern football economics. I'm all in for this. 

I don't really disagree, generally. It's an exciting way to play, and like any form of gambling it will sometimes get you a big pay-off.  I'm also a fan of Bielsa, although I see him more as a brilliant eccentric rather than the genius he is portrayed as by the more chin-stroking football blogs.  For someone who gets cited as one of the greatest managers of all-time, he hasn't actually had a great deal of success over his career.  I think what we've been seeing is a fair bit of doubling-down by pundits who have spent years telling us that Bielsa is the genius who taught Guardiola all he knows.  We're all getting a closer look at his tactics, and people are saying, "hang on, this magical system actually involves everyone charging around like maniacs and throwing everyone forward regardless of the situation?" There will probably be a bit of a backlash, before the majority settle back to a more realistic view similar to your own.

The reason I'm saying you might be worried is that teams might start to figure you out and set up in a way that really exposes your weaknesses. The surprise factor will wear off.  Teams that come up from the Championship and play attacking football generally get the majority of their points in the first half of the season and then drop off in the second half.  I hope this doesn't happen as I'd genuinely like Leeds to stick around in the top flight as there is really no better team to watch around. That game yesterday was amazing to watch. Probably more fun for me than you though I expect.

The other factor in play regarding the reaction to yesterday's game is that Solskjaer, who is supposed to be tactically inept, set up his team in a way to completely batter the team of a guy who is supposed to be a tactical genius. A lot of the "Bielsa is overrated" talk is actually people trying not to admit that Solskjaer might be underrated, or Man Utd fans trying to imply just that. 

2 minutes ago, bradigor said:

He looks more onside that Son was in the week. 

Please change these rules and go to the Dutch system also only use the planted foot 

I honestly think that's the fairest way to measure it. You're not getting any advantage if your arm is ahead but you are if your feet are.

I was raging when that Maddison goal was disallowed. Tottenham normally hammer us and I thought that might shift the momentum. 

As it was, Mourinho had set them up to try and bore us to death and unfortunately for them Vardy had had his pre-match triple RedBull and was off his tits on taurine. 

1 hour ago, Stigweard said:

Just on twitter and this popped up again on my timeline and I'm utterly baffled at everything going on here to measure the offside by VAR officials.

Then line for Madisson is being taken from a part of the body you can't score with and Auriers line is coming off the inside of his right foot, not the outside of his left foot or left shoulder.

This is all just such BS.

image.thumb.png.c2d00800ee8f446ff31bc5bdc2518cc0.png

It's beyond a joke. I don't there's anyone who thinks it shouldn't be measured from the forward's feet. 

5 minutes ago, Gotters said:

outside the box and got the ball, Man Utd have got penalties for less.

Manchester United ;) 

I thought LOSC had cocked that up on first viewing, but seeing it again it really is remarkable defending. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55400922

Newcastle winger Allan Saint-Maximin and captain Jamaal Lascelles are both suffering from the long-term effects of coronavirus and it is not known when they will return.

Manager Steve Bruce said on Friday that two of his players had suffered "damaging effects" of the virus and had been "struggling for a while with it".

At that point, the club had not named the players in question.

I think this has been revealed because Daniel Story said they'd fallen out with Bruce on the TFS on Monday

I hope they both recover soon, long COVID sounds awful, it gave US baseball pitched Eduardo Rodriguez a heart problem that's he thankfully now recovered from. 

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/aug/01/eduardo-rodriguez-coronavirus-out-for-season