Psychonauts 2 - which is awesome!

Keyboard Koala

22 hours ago, b00dles said:

I think it might even be where the letter flies off from? Or next to the typewriter? It should be relatively obvious. 

Well, when sober maybe :P

Well I got past the level, I went into the wrong sorting slot again and when I was back by the typewriter I noticed a panel had opened in the giant head right next to me which I'm sure wasn't there before. I wouldn't have missed something that obvious, however in my defence it was a really nice bottle of red. 

3 hours ago, footle said:

I know it is, and mostly blame Nintendo, but do you have any more theoretical background as to why three is the magic design number?

There are proper write ups and research these days I’m sure but basically it was found to be the minimal number of repetition prove the player really knew how to do something.  Once you might do it accidentally, twice good but what I’d that first one was accidental, three times good you’ve probably got it.  More than three and it’s going to get pretty annoying.

I find it annoying after the first or second. Literally deep eye roll at the "do this again" (sometimes with minor additions/tweaks like in Psychonauts). With the vast majority of boss fights being a chore in the first place I simply want them to end. To be able to get that first hit and have to think, thank god one third down is so fucking predictable and dull at this point.

I am genuinely surprised at the number of negative posts in here recently - each to their own and all that but I had an absolute blast playing this.

I can understand the frustrations with some of the bosses, but they pale into comparison with some boss levels that had me shouting at the TV - that bastard sewer boss in Luigi's Mansion 3 being the worst culprit!! 

I think this is one of the best platformers in recent years, and I'd have finished this even if it wasn't on Game Pass. 

8 hours ago, Len said:

I got up to the boss fight at  the end of the food cooking bit and after a few attempts where I kept getting done at the last part I just switched it off again, tedious is not the word. So disappointing as I really want to love it but aaarrrggghhhh. Psi is next isn't it then I'm done, if I can bothered to do the boss...again.

That's the one time i nearly quit.  Then i realized that i wasn't using the psi pops of the other one that gives you full energy.  id been ignoring them the hole game.  I beat the boss on my 2nd attempt but after that always kept those topped up. 

8 hours ago, fattakin said:

That's the one time i nearly quit.  Then i realized that i wasn't using the psi pops of the other one that gives you full energy.  id been ignoring them the hole game.  I beat the boss on my 2nd attempt but after that always kept those topped up. 

I did actually think I should get some but couldn't be bothered so my fault I suppose. Still not that enamoured on returning.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished this yesterday, overall I really enjoyed the game despite it being clearly flawed. My disorganised (appropriately) thoughts are: 

-The flow of the game is far too frequently broken up, some of the cut scenes are literally five seconds long. I really would have preferred the game to continue to give you control while still running the dialogue. Pretty sure that’s standard for AAA games now. The game also sometimes freezes the camera even when speaking to minor NPCs. The pacing overall was just off

-Raz is too slow, if he were a bit more nimble you could get rid of the ball as well

- There is no good way of juggling the abilities, the stop start nature of the combat reminded me of botw in that regard, where you are frequently dipping into the menu

- as someone who never played the first game I found the story confusing and too convoluted 

- The platforming and exploration in the QA was amazing. Would have loved one more big open area (maybe in a mind). 

- Once I had all the abilities I found the combat was enjoyable, creative and very open. 

- The Design, locations etc were amazing. Although for me the ‘real world world’ more so than the mind ones, which were a bit too linear. 

- The end of the hotel set piece was great, so it was kind of a missed opportunity that there weren’t more. 

Someone earlier in the thread said that it’s the polish, in design, art direction, etc that really elevates this game and I have to agree. I kind of see a parallel with the Uncharted games which are some what limited mechanically, but the story and pacing are so gripping that you can ignore its faults. Whereas with psychonauts 2, for me, the character design and the locations make the game well worth playing. 

I LOVED the first game and will defend it against all criticism (I even liked the Meat Circus) but this sequel bored me so much I just gave up half way through.

The levels inside people's heads are probably more representitive of actual mental health issues that occur in the real world, but they just aren't as interesting as the more literal examples the first game. There's nothing as good as Sasha's level, The Milkman, the Napoleon level, the Spanish painter level etc. They bore no relation to how mentally ill people actually think but they were just way more creative and fun.

On top of that the story focusses too much on the Psychonauts internal fiction and backstory, which I don't really care about.

Platforming and combat etc are probably on par or even a bit better than P1, but that was never why it was worth playing even back in '06.

I loved it - just two achievements left before I've hit 100%, and the only reason I've not done them yet is that I'm stretching them out for the daily reward points.

I really liked the variety in the levels, and the inventiveness of the humour. They could do with working on slimming the controls though - having to contantly switch between powers did drag near the end. Oh, and they need something to help hoover up the last few figments you've missed a little easier - unless there was some way to know which section of a level the pieces you had missing were in that I missed?

I’ve gotten stuck and I’m not sure where to go or what to do. I’m at the hairdressing themed mind-dive:

Spoiler

After climbing to the top of the big mop of hair at the centre of the room I don’t see to have anywhere to go, and bugs are preventing me from being able to jump. 

Any hints?

9 minutes ago, Popo said:

I’ve gotten stuck and I’m not sure where to go or what to do. I’m at the hairdressing themed mind-dive:

Hide contents

After climbing to the top of the big mop of hair at the centre of the room I don’t see to have anywhere to go, and bugs are preventing me from being able to jump. 

Any hints?

Spoiler

Turn on the hairdryer.

Spoiler

You should see a red button off to the side of it, shoot that.

I never played the original properly, and now I'm feeling like I missed out.

Part of me is hoping they remaster it based on the success of the sequel, but that could take a while. Are there any mods for the pc version that fix the wonkier bits and bring it up to date?

It really is excellent and was released six years before Alice!

Levels were far better than anything I've played in 2 so far. But rose tinted glasses and all that plus tech differences.

• 2 weeks later...

Picked this up again over the past few nights... spent around 5 hours so far on it. Really enjoying it now... initially I was a bit unimpressed but not sure what I was expecting to be fair. Its a great little platformer full of quirky visuals and inventiveness... can't complain really these types of games aren't made too often these days.