Psychonauts 2 - which is awesome!

Keyboard Koala

Smaller games can still be played early with a region change, but any big games (or any games with embargoes) are now moving towards a universal unlock at a specific time per time zone that basically means they all unlock at the same time.

Yeah the backer codes are only being sent out at 6pm UK time so changing region wouldn't get you it any earlier. 

Nice little thank you video from Tim in the latest fig update and I'm eagerly awaiting to see what it's like. Although weirdly I'm not particularly hyped even though I did really enjoy the original. Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised rather than disappointed after building it up in my head. 

5 minutes ago, b00dles said:

It's tomorrow the 25th at 6pm UK time isn't it?

I got a confusing email from fig saying "tomorrow 10am pst" but no actual date but it was sent late so I'm assuming it's the 25th

"Before you go - as a reminder, all game codes, whether PC or console, will be distributed to you via Humble on Tuesday, August 24th (PST) from update #20"
https://www.fig.co/campaigns/psychonauts-2/updates/1419

1 minute ago, Zombait said:

"Before you go - as a reminder, all game codes, whether PC or console, will be distributed to you via Humble on Tuesday, August 24th (PST) from update #20"
https://www.fig.co/campaigns/psychonauts-2/updates/1419

Oh right, I thought it was going to be today but the latest email from yesterday threw me off a bit. I suppose I'll get the email when I get it but hopefully tonight!

Yay! I've got my codes, PC Steam version isn't available until tomorrow and the PS4 version is downloading now, if I can play the PS4 one I'll be happy to wait until tomorrow but it's showing as "No Title" on the download so it doesn't look hopeful  😄

Just watched a little of this on YouTube in 4K and it looks lovely! Lots of polish, I feel like I want to say Nintendo level. I really wanted the guy who had done the video to slow down and take in the scenery, but he kinda raced through it :lol:

I've got to admit I've actually never played Psychonauts before, even though I had it on the OG Xbox and it's been sat in my Steam collection for years, but never ever fired it up for reasons I can't explain. 

Is it adviced to play the original before jumping into this or is it more like the Mario and Sonic games where it's a brand new game where no prior knowledge is required?

It’s a sequel but the original game is recapped in the intro as well as the VR only game - outside of that I’d expect you could happily jump right in here as the original is fun but plays like a game from 2005. 

This is good so far and I'm liking the intern in a job as a sequel to the summer camp and so on. 

Also the fact it's so stylised really helps the look of the whole thing. To me it genuinely looks better than any number of fancy pants AAA+ games that have invisible walls all over the place, or knee high walls I can't climb over but are trying to make me believe I'm in a huge expansive environment. 

It's interesting how the brain works and what better game to make you start thinking about it :)

Played opening level this morning with the kids, my eldest (10) was really interested ad had loads of whys - around the brain and what the enemies meant (regret etc) so it was kinda fun answering and mucking about. We'll hopefully play it together if i dont sneak off and play it when they are in bed :)

I think this is using the recently expired patent for "mini games during loading screens". I've noticed it switches to 2d occasionally (so far anyway, it probably does different ones, or should) but the 2d sections don't really end "properly" and fade to white before going back to normal 3d.

Very clever if that's what they've done and a really good use of that little trick. 

I might be totally talking shit though as I've had some non interactive (but very, very quick) load screens too. 

The visual and thematic invention in this is almost overwhelming. Must take a huge effort to design literally everything from such a quirky, surrealist and off-the-wall perspective. Never a dull moment and it’s positively bursting with character and tremendous fun.

19 minutes ago, pinholestar said:

The visual and thematic invention in this is almost overwhelming. Must take a huge effort to design literally everything from such a quirky and off-the-wall perspective. Never a dull moment and it’s positively bursting with character and tremendous fun.

Yeah I can't disagree it's just so delightful. Just played some more during lunchtime. 

1 hour ago, Nosejam said:

Anyone know how to get into the rooms with a gold letter box? Presumably a later unlock but I don’t want to miss anything :) 

I wouldn't worry about that for now. Even the opening sequence has some stuff you can't reach at first, so I'm pretty sure you revisit most areas.

4 hours ago, pinholestar said:

The visual and thematic invention in this is almost overwhelming. Must take a huge effort to design literally everything from such a quirky, surrealist and off-the-wall perspective. Never a dull moment and it’s positively bursting with character and tremendous fun.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Such a delight. Can't believe this is free (on gamepass).

Only on the first real mission and my mind is blown by the quality of the ideas in that level alone. 

And the writing, is very good, and most importantly how well those ideas are implemented technically. Something just happened and the effect and what happened made my brain go a bit wonky for moment. 

Spoiler

When you get ejected from the high rollers room and it becomes the morgue / dice was something I've not seen done in a game I don't think. 

I can't wait to see what else is coming. 

• Keyboard Koala changed the title to Psychonauts 2 - which is awesome!