IGNORED

Psychonauts 2 - which is awesome!

Keyboard Koala

Reminds me of Grabbed By The Ghoulies a bit. Had around half an hour on it earlier. Interesting not sure I'll spend much time on it though as it seems like it will get a bit repetitive. Already seeing the same bad guys appear multiple times is getting tedious. Lovely quirky presentation though. Glad it's on GamePass as if I'd have paid £50-60 for it would have been disappointed TBH 

I love the personality in the faces, you can picture the kind of human face features they’ve taken as make each character. 

The teeth gross me out a little as well as woo me in how nice/horrible they look! 

I did the tutorial to this. Isn’t it just fantastic? The nostalgia of being back in this world has hit me like a truck. I loved the original when I played it at the time, but it’s a game I haven’t thought too much about since apart from recommending it to people. To have a full game back in this world is surreal (quite appropriately). It’s hard to believe this game exists, but I am so glad it does. What a few weeks I have to look forward to playing this. 

I must admit I'm not really feeling it at all. I was skeptical I would as I loathe the character design. I can see the effort that's gone into the design and I think it's to be applauded but it's a complete turn off for me personally. Also I'm finding it very bitty, I feel the gameplay is constantly being broken up by little cut scenes and bits of dialogue.

Echoing the above, this is really good so far (45 mins in or so). Lovely art direction and some nasty jumps, keeping in theme with the original. 

One thing I can’t figure out: can you shoot off the Psi-Fire or is it just activate and get near stuff then release?

2 hours ago, metallicfrodo said:

I must admit I'm not really feeling it at all. I was skeptical I would as I loathe the character design. I can see the effort that's gone into the design and I think it's to be applauded but it's a complete turn off for me personally. Also I'm finding it very bitty, I feel the gameplay is constantly being broken up by little cut scenes and bits of dialogue.

Raz isn’t great, the others - and particularly the new characters - are.

But it really isn’t about the combat, the platforming, character design for me: it’s very much a “whoa this level/architecture/theme is utterly unlike anything else in AA/AA+” and the fact that Schaefer can actually write funny jokes. And as the studio lead gets them in.

I think MattyP is looking for a very different style of game if he’s willing to stop thirty minutes in because there’s been a couple of repeated enemy types.

Really liking it so far. Visually it’s the most next gen game I’ve played, it looks amazing and loving the art style most of all. Only downside for me so far is the amount of button inputs it throws at you from the off, I struggled to remember the right one to blast, strike, fire, jump, move objects, glide etc when things got more frantic. Which to be fair complex controls is something I’ve always struggled to get to grips with on modern games so might not be an issue for most. 

Really enjoying this so far as well. Like someone said a couple of pages back, I also couldn't get on with the first one. But I only tried to play it recently and thought it controlled like a bit of a dog. It would be great if they remade it with this engine.

One thing I'm really loving, the eye movement. Such a nice detail when they get the eyes moving in those subtle ways. 

3 hours ago, SteveH said:

Really enjoying this so far as well. Like someone said a couple of pages back, I also couldn't get on with the first one. But I only tried to play it recently and thought it controlled like a bit of a dog. It would be great if they remade it with this engine.

Mos def.

I was one of the biggest fans of the first Psychonauts, but even I have to concede that it's aged more than I would have liked. I tried to play it before the sequel got released and it didn't grab me like it did 15 years ago.

It's still great, but it does have a few problems, as others have pointed out. The combat is all over the place and I still struggle with button mappings, it's confusing. Cut scenes are too many and too interrupting. And enemies are always the same, at least in the first few hours. Hope all this doesn't get worse.

But, boy, that world and art design 😍

25 minutes ago, alex3d said:

It's still great, but it does have a few problems, as others have pointed out. The combat is all over the place and I still struggle with button mappings, it's confusing. Cut scenes are too many and too interrupting. And enemies are always the same, at least in the first few hours. Hope all this doesn't get worse.

But, boy, that world and art design 😍

I find this a really odd criticism.

here are some games in which the enemies are the same - limited to three or so types in the first few hours:

- every halo game (squeaky grunt, elite, shield thing)

- call of duty (man with gun)

- mario (koopa, turtle, bee, piranha)

psychonauts 2 has the censor, various ideas, the flying things, the one you need to burn, the other flying things (I’m not well up on my names). But it isn’t a combat platformer…

Really enjoying this so far although totally get the button mapping thing. I’m trying to keep “critical” thing always on the same buttons and just using one of the bumpers to switch context sensitive actions which is helping a bit, but it doesn’t feel intuitive yet.

Lovely game though. Played a few hours last night and it kept me hooked

10 hours ago, footle said:

I think MattyP is looking for a very different style of game if he’s willing to stop thirty minutes in because there’s been a couple of repeated enemy types.

No haven't stopped playing just had a spare 30 mins to give it a whirl. It's not a bad game at all and has some very inventive level design! Played the original Psychonaughts and this is very much more of the same whilst taking advantage of what new tech is available to further develop the ideas of the first one. 

Just that 30 mins I was taking on 3/4 locations been attacked by the same critters. Just felt well a bit tired. :) Granted 30mins isn't a long time but really expected to be wowed in that time.

44 minutes ago, footle said:

I find this a really odd criticism.

here are some games in which the enemies are the same - limited to three or so types in the first few hours:

- every halo game (squeaky grunt, elite, shield thing)

- call of duty (man with gun)

- mario (koopa, turtle, bee, piranha)

psychonauts 2 has the censor, various ideas, the flying things, the one you need to burn, the other flying things (I’m not well up on my names). But it isn’t a combat platformer…

I'm sure the fact I'm overwhelmed with all the button mappings contributes to it. I still fight every enemy with fundamentally the same thing: button mashing and/or fire, even though I constantly try to make use of all the skills. 

16 minutes ago, Quest said:

I see the Xbox store is still the place for quality reviews.

IMG_0260..thumb.jpg.d012cac61e2db3468a6daf54610d0534.jpg

:D Well it can be bought...

image.png.05e030c1ff90399a05fc47c70b577a0e.png

£55 quid though. Would people buy this for £55 if it wasn't on GamePass? Personally think from what I've played I would have been disappointed... Still it is on GamePass so no great shakes. Just sub for a month and you'll get it for £7.99.