Psychonauts 2 - which is awesome!

Keyboard Koala

The music is great on some of the levels I think, the questionable area has some lovely music and the music for the psi King level fits the 60s psychadelic aesthetic really well I thought.

Especially if you're not an old bastard like us lot too, made me think of the hendrixperience poster I had as a kid but my 14 and 15 year old niece and nephew for instance,  wouldn't have ever heard of the music that this is inspired by. 

It's better than it all just being orchestral scores, or even attempting to be 'current' and having non stop... I dunno, I was going to say dubstep but that's probably not even the in sound any more. Maybe grime? Or K-pop?

Whilst I'm absolutely in love with this game, and feel that it's everything I hoped it would be, there is some frustratingly old-school checkpointing on the boss battles.

The kind of 'die on the last hit of a 5 minute boss battle and go back to the start' checkpointing.

I just enabled invincibility mode to get through the boss on Compton's Cookoff because that boss battle is frustratingly long and I kept dying to the Judge right at the end, and I couldn't face doing another 5 minute attempt again.

Apart from the crap boss battles the game is fantastic though.

I played up until arriving at the hub a couple of days ago, didn't think too much of it and put it aside. I went back to it today though and I'm absolutely loving it. :D

I did play the original at some point, but while I liked it's style I thought it was a bit of a clunky platformer even then. The sequel has elevated the platforming to "solid", which is good enough to allow everything else to shine through.

This is great but, incredible nitpick incoming, making you have to press Y on the purple currency which then releases several more purple things you have to collect is one of those things where I just wonder why they implemented it that way. Why not just run up to it and press Y to collect? Or better yet, just run over it and collect it. It just adds a completely unnecessary button press and then several seconds of collecting a few more purple bits for something so frequent and utterly mundane. 

2 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

Not far into this yet but can you go back and re-do levels because I missed a few pickups and couldn't backtrack in a level?

Yep, and there are some collectables in every level that you can't get to the first time you do them, so you need to come back when you have more abilities.

4 hours ago, Majora said:

This is great but, incredible nitpick incoming, making you have to press Y on the purple currency which then releases several more purple things you have to collect is one of those things where I just wonder why they implemented it that way. Why not just run up to it and press Y to collect? Or better yet, just run over it and collect it. It just adds a completely unnecessary button press and then several seconds of collecting a few more purple bits for something so frequent and utterly mundane. 

You get a 'loot magnet' from the shop for not a lot of money which solves this problem. 

I'm on what I presume is the home stretch. As per the rest of the game, the imagination is off the charts.

However I am willing it to be over now. Some of the platforming is awkward as, certain bits are just annoying, and the combat has increased and well, its woeful.

This is a [7] for me. Rarely does a game toy and play with ideas as much as this, but the stuff around it is a bit tedious and annoying. Without that imagination, and if it was a typical platformer with these controls and combat, it'd be a [5].

The cutscenes though, fuck me.

Weirdly I’ve not found any of the platforming particularly difficult, the combat is pretty simple and makes up a fraction of the game overall. 
 Truth is psychonauts is a point click adventure story told through the medium of a 3rd person action platform game because even less people play point and clicks these days than platform games. 
 Personally I’d rather play in this world than the shiny but bland ratchet and clank game I just completed on the PlayStation. 

I've not found the platforming difficult, it's been relatively straightforward.

However there's a certain bit later where a mechanic is implemented which I found highly tedious and involved some waiting. Its more on my impatience but it sullied that section for me.

The combat has become more persistent in the late game and I've literally gone invincibility just to skip that nonsense. It's awful.

It deserves all the plaudits for the love, scale and imagination that has gone into the whole thing, but I can't use that as a catalyst to forgive the fact that underneath it it's a pretty drab platformer.

52 minutes ago, Dark Soldier said:

I'm on what I presume is the home stretch. As per the rest of the game, the imagination is off the charts.

However I am willing it to be over now. Some of the platforming is awkward as, certain bits are just annoying, and the combat has increased and well, its woeful.

This is a [7] for me. Rarely does a game toy and play with ideas as much as this, but the stuff around it is a bit tedious and annoying. Without that imagination, and if it was a typical platformer with these controls and combat, it'd be a [5].

The cutscenes though, fuck me.

Agree. I'm actually taking a break from it as I don't think the platforming and fighting are any good, let alone fun.

Finished it just now. Twenty hours of brilliance with a few rough edges and some iffy combat, although it did click pretty well in the end and ultimately wasn’t difficult enough to annoy me. 

Solid 8/10 for me. Thanks Game Pass

Just finished it tonight. I think the main issue with the combat is the way the game makes you swap the powers in an out which makes it really hard to build up muscle memory as the combo of powers you need to have equipped can change from fight to fight and even between waves of a fight so unless you’re super disciplined you keep going for TK or blast on the wrong button because that’s where it was last time.

Apart from that, loved it. Some of the platforming was a touch frustrating but I put that mostly down to how infrequently I play platformers these days- but only one bit I struggled with was actually a progression issue- the others were all for collectibles.

2 minutes ago, denisb said:

Just wondered how it ran I even only played oldish games on my series S 

I think it's 1080/120 if you can do 120fps. Otherwise a higher res at 60.

I'd be surprised if it has even the slightest dropped frame anywhere.

Loved the fact that one of the figments in the 

Spoiler

library section

was a book with the name Pratchett boldly displayed on the cover.  Don’t know if it’s worth spoiler info there but don’t wanna annoy anyone :)

1 hour ago, denisb said:

Just wondered how it ran I even only played oldish games on my series S 

It runs great, as far as I can tell.  I'm not super sensitive to drops from 60fps but it feels smooth.  It's base resolution is 1620p, so looks sharp at our 3m viewing distance. Can't tell if it uses DRS or not. Load times are quick.

🤜

I've always found Double Fine a bit of a frustrating developer. I find that I desperately want to like their games, they usually sound great and right up my street on paper, but then I always find them lacking in some fundamental ways. This is the first game of their's I feel is actually approaching fully realising the vision. The inventiveness and variety of locales is absolutely superb here.

it's not without its problems, the combat is fairly ropey and all the enemies feel like they take a about a third more damaged than they should. The system of swapping out powers to the triggers/bumpers is really clunky and I'm guessing it's a holdover from the first game (I can't remember, I haven’t touched the original since it came out and I found it mediocre). There are powers that really feel they should have been consolidated to others, or just integrated into the controls gracefully instead of requiring a slot and some feel they should have just been context sensitive prompts.

But apart from that this was top stuff.