Psychonauts 2 - which is awesome!

Keyboard Koala

As a little tip which may seem obvious so I don't want to insult anyone's intelligence but I found it much easier to keep the ball and float power permanently on LT just so I always knew it would be there and it's probably the most used. 

It also makes the boss battle mentioned in here a few times as the hardest a lot easier because rolling clears up the sick. Which I didn't think of but found out accidentally as I always had that move on LT.

(I've attempted to be vague but if that's too spoiler-y I'll hide it)

45 minutes ago, b00dles said:

As a little tip which may seem obvious so I don't want to insult anyone's intelligence but I found it much easier to keep the ball and float power permanently on LT just so I always knew it would be there and it's probably the most used. 

Having patiently seen me do a slightly naff job at electrified platforms, my 9yr old pointed out "you can just roll across those if you want to". 😀

8 minutes ago, monkeydog said:

Having patiently seen me do a slightly naff job at electrified platforms, my 9yr old pointed out "you can just roll across those if you want to". 😀

Yeah, similarly the fights can be made a lot easier if you muck about with the pins. Or also the upgraded fireball that surrounds you. 

But none of the fights are particularly fun, I'm not going to pretend that but as has been said, they're there because of some assumptions of the genre I think. I'll be interested to see the documentary when it comes out because a part of me thinks the fighting is included due to market research suggesting it wouldn't be a success if it was such a literal point n click but with platforming and whether they were just too into it when Microsoft bought them to even consider removing it. 

You get the feeling it's only there because you should have it, boss fights in this game especially are understandable but the small encounters just turn up every now and then and often aren't even related to opening a new bit of someone's brain or whatever. 

Played a couple of hours today. 

It's... OK. As a platform game I think it's shite. Really shite. But its keeping me hooked to see what happens next. 

8 hours ago, jon_cybernet said:

I found turning on the assists (mainly invincibility) made this game way more likeable. Honestly felt it would have been more fun without the combat. 

When I got to the cooking show boss I started using invincibility too. There was too much going on for me to deal with. 

If anyone wants to tell me how it easy it was, don't bother I'm fine thanks. 

Just finished this. Loved it, absolutely loved it. And the story stuck the landing too.

If anybody is worried about the various "Are you sure you want to continue?" messages you get before certain levels, after the credits you can explore the hub worlds and go to any previous levels to mop up anything you missed. 

22 hours ago, b00dles said:

Yeah, similarly the fights can be made a lot easier if you muck about with the pins. Or also the upgraded fireball that surrounds you. 

But none of the fights are particularly fun, I'm not going to pretend that but as has been said, they're there because of some assumptions of the genre I think. I'll be interested to see the documentary when it comes out because a part of me thinks the fighting is included due to market research suggesting it wouldn't be a success if it was such a literal point n click but with platforming and whether they were just too into it when Microsoft bought them to even consider removing it. 

You get the feeling it's only there because you should have it, boss fights in this game especially are understandable but the small encounters just turn up every now and then and often aren't even related to opening a new bit of someone's brain or whatever. 

there were always^ fights: you’re going in to clean up someone’s mind.

are the bog standard enemies in sonic, astrobot, mario fun or even interesting? (No, not particularly).

^ in psychonauts 1.

53 minutes ago, footle said:

there were always^ fights: you’re going in to clean up someone’s mind.

are the bog standard enemies in sonic, astrobot, mario fun or even interesting? (No, not particularly).

^ in psychonauts 1.

That was my point, I wonder if the fights (even in psychonauts 1) were in there because jumping on an enemies head in platforming is standard and expected. 

On 26/08/2021 at 20:38, HarryBizzle said:

Bit disappointed that who the big bad guy is so obvious. 

Other than that, loving it. 

Spoiler

Didn't see it coming at all tbh

Really enjoyed this, but found the pacing utterly weird. There's massive hub levels at the start, but when you've got the abilities to actually access everything you're restricted instead to chain mind levels. The one time I actually wanted to do the optional sidequests was the one time I couldn't. Similarly you level up massively quickly. That and accessing old minds to collect missables is not a nice experience, stopped after just one.

2 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I thought the Compton Boole level was a real let down. Very boring tasks, boring boss and I didn’t really see what any of that had to do with his mental state or personality. 

I enjoyed the bowling alley bit, though. 

And there's me today who played it through and bloody loved it.  

It's a game of itself imo. 

As I say, I didn't really get what it was trying to say about either Compton or how he is. Nothing about what you know of him before then really explains it. I guess he feels like the other Psychonaut founders judge him, but it's not really clear why. It just felt like a bit of a missed opportunity.

Anyway, is anyone getting any performance issues with this? There are times where panning the camera seems to cause the framerate to drop, and I wonder if it's been sitting in Quick Resume for about two weeks.

Getting more into this now.  I love the platform sections and the really out there different level designs, but the combat sections just annoy me.  I'm probably doing wrong, but it seems there's no particular tactic to these.  Run around (or go on your ball) fire off the blasts and maybe slow an enemy down and go and melee him..... and then repeat unteen times.

Man, this is good, isn’t it? I’ve just got up to meeting my family and exploring outside the Motherlobe. It got off to a bit of a slow start and there are a few too many cutscenes, but I’m loving it so far.

Im having achievement issues now as I played offline yesterday when we had no internet and looks like 4 should have unlocked and haven't.

Which is annoying as I was thinking the full 1000 was achievable.

On 02/09/2021 at 21:07, Pug said:

Played twenty minutes and it’s not for me.

Yeah I’m finding the same. 

it’s hard to place why but it’s really just not ‘clicking’…

@Pug @Hexx I’d really recommend persevering with it. I wasn’t all that fussed at the beginning, due to all the cutscenes, the massive info dumps and the boring first level, but I stuck with it and I’d say it’s easily the best game of the year now. If you can get through the first hour or so until it all opens up, it’s properly amazing.