Apple boots Fortnite off the App Store

2 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

It really feels like a lot of these takes must be coming from this internet bubble derangement because I can't see how people would approach this from the angle of "fuck those guys not making much money, they should get shit all!"

ClassicRJ straw man. Literally nobody is saying that.

It's entirely possible to support most of Epics criticisms of the way Apple and Google control their platforms but still roll your eyes at Sweeney drawing comparisons with the civil rights movement. The fact he seems to have doubled down on the comparison instead of just saying something like " sorry, it was a poor analogy to make but I still believe we are doing the right thing" just makes it even more tone deaf. 

6 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

The 30% is the complaint they've lodged against Apple and Google, the opening up stuff was only about Apple, which makes it seems like less of a core concern, and it always came off a thing that would be dropped to compromise at your truer position.

Ah, fair enough. I forgot they also included Google. I still don’t think it changes the argument though.

6 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

It changes a lot for those smaller developers!

It really feels like a lot of these takes must be coming from this internet bubble derangement because I can't see how people would approach this from the angle of "fuck those guys not making much money, they should get shit all!"

The default position should be that it's a welcome move, not bemoaning it because you don't like Tim Sweeney.

I agree that it’s good for most app store developers. I don’t think anyone here is making the arguments that you’re railing against though.

7 hours ago, DukeOfEarlsfield said:

Was 30% ever "the issue"? It's seems "It's my platform and I'll charge what I want to" is the issue.

Apple think they can charge whatever they like to allow people access to their customers. Epic think they shouldn't be allowed to charge anything and that Epic can have free (in both senses of the word) access to Apple customers.

Apple newest PR move (it may affect 95% of iOS developers but according to the New York Times it's going to affect less than 5% of App Store revenue) doesn't change that at all.

The idea that I spend £1k on a computing device or phone but will forever be locked into being an “Apple customer” is a fantastic reason never to buy a Mac.

5 hours ago, kensei said:

No actually says that, and companies are absolutely right to point out the ask Apple makes is excessive and an abuse of monopoly power. 

Plus why shouldn't they argue from their own self interest?

In the case of Basecamp, what they were arguing against isn't an excessive demand from Apple.

They wanted to be able to offer a subscription product, Apple offer a mechanism to do this, they wanted to get the benefits of this mechanism without following the same rules everyone else on the store has to follow. (As opposed to, e.g., Netflix, who just take the whole process off-platform.)

Making stuff for iOS (and consoles) is more restrictive but sometimes the platform holder taking on some of the functionality benefits users (many of whom aren't PC and internet savvy) and most developers. Basecamp got knocked back once by Apple review and immediately and publicly shat the bed about it. Meanwhile, e.g., GameClub got rejected dozens of times but eventually figured out how to do something that the store wasn't explicitly designed to support.

What they want (a free choice of billing mechanisms and stores) is a good cause, but they're going about it in a dickish way that will probably help Apple's side more than Epic's.