Inscryption - "An inky black card-based odyssey"

Lying Cat

So, we've got Inscryption coming up on 2021, and it looks absolutely amazing. Here's the trailer!

I'm going to be completely honest with you and admit that I absolutely love these sorts of thing, and the visual presentation is so far up my street it's got itself lodged in my colon.

If anyone is interested in a short sneak peak of the game, the prototype Sacrifices Must Be Made is available to download here, and I would absolutely recommend giving it a go. It's a 20mb download, and isn't particularly long, giving you a single opponent to play against. The game has a singularly disturbing feel to it, and for something in such a primitive state which was slapped together in it's entirely in 48 hours, the actual card game is extremely good.

So, I'm super proper hyped about this one.

edit

Just to add a bit more about the game, since that's what people will want to read about, I'm going to talk about the mechanisms below - but about the situation that you find yourself in, which will be sort of revealed in the Prototype.

This isn't a traditional card game like Magic: the Gathering where two people with two equal decks face off against one another - it's a specifically designed single player game with card mechanics. The most important thing to grasp is that you'll know what your opponent is going to play and where a turn ahead of where it happens, and the core of the game is navigating that puzzle.

There's no economy in the game - all cards have a number of blood marks between zero and theoretically four. In order to play a card, you must sacrifice a number of cards you already have in play to the value of the blood marks of the card you want to play. All cards are considered equal for these purposes - the only exception to the rule is the Cat who can be "sacrificed" without leaving play, making it a permanent resource as long as it's in play - but having no offensive capability, it's doomed to die if something is opposing it. The upshot of all this is that you need to play out zero blood mark animals in order to be able to afford anything else, but they're universally terrible and will due at the weapons or claws of almost anything else in the game, so unless you're desperate you need to use them or lose them, or be prepared to throw them away in a chump-block.

You win by dealing damage to your opponent, and if your cards are opposed by enemy cards then you do damage to those instead. The number of points you need to win is... variable, and the scores are placed on a weighing scale and when your opponents scale touches the table they lose. The consequence to this is that if you're scoring points off one another about evenly, nobody is making any progress towards victory.

Your opponent may offer you a mechanism to "right the scales" if you're losing badly by... passing you a knife. But think carefully before you pick that fucker up. It's a desperate measure, trust me.

At the end of each round you get to pick a new card up (as it pretty traditional in these games), but obviously in the prototype deck building is exceptionally limited and you only get two choices overall - but those choices did make a difference to how I played the game for sure.

• 1 year later...

Yeah I'm in. Hex was a bit ropey but Dan Mullins has an amazing imagination and always managed to get dark and meta. This looks a lot more focussed than Hex which I think is a good thing. My only downside is that he's finally decided to release a game that you need semi decent hardware to run so fingers crossed I can actually play it!

Got the demo and although it ran like crap on my poor laptop, the game is really cool. The demo lasted me about 45 minutes and I definitely recommend it. Atmosphere in spades, creepy and great audio and a cool concept. It reminded me a lot of the game Hand of Fate where the card game and your 3D opponent in the virtual game world both come into play. Although in classic Dan Mullins style there's a meta level above where Inscryption is a game somebody has discovered in real life as well. Definitely will be picking this up on release. The card game itself is quite interesting too. It seems a great setting for a story, alone in a cabin with an undisclosed entity playing a creepy game with 'real life' consequences, where interactions happen in the card game as well as in the cabin. The voice effect for the opponent is awesome and sold me on the idea immediately. Looking forward to the full game!

I don't know if the card game is going to prove interesting enough to sustain a whole game. But the presentation is just incredible and I'll happily play it just for that, even if the card game turns out to be a total dud. Surprisingly the demo covers almost everything in the original trailer but then there's another trailer at the end with a bunch of new stuff. The nested levels of narrative are already giving me a headache, I can't imagine how it'll all fit together but I'm excited to find out.

• 2 weeks later...

Got onto this a bit late but have already bought it based on the demo. This is very very good. The tone and presentation are absolutely pitch perfect. I don’t know if it’ll take 1000 hours of my life like Spire but I was completely captivated for the hour I spent with it. Roll on the 19th of October! 

I played the demo based on the EG preview.  Absolutely loved it.  I cleared the Prospector on my first run and the demo ended rather weirdly.  I then tried a second play through and found that LOTS of stuff is different on each subsequent run.  Loads to uncover, just in the demo.  The Escape room side puzzles really intrigued me too.

Will be purchasing the full thing for sure.

I just tried the demo of this too, seems really good. I'm hoping the full game will actually have some decent deckbuilding options and that's it's not merely set dressing for some weirdness though.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been looking forward to this for ages now. Played a first intro game...yup, definitely up for this one :D 

Although, I keep on thinking this would be the perfect game to play on my iPad...in bed...with the lights off.

(No-one can see me wet myself)

Yep, out today and only 15 quid on Steam. Website reviews are positive so far, Metro calls it as having similar themes and ideas to Pony Island, making it feel like an almost sequel. That's no bad thing in my eyes, I know what I'm getting with a Dan Mullins game and half the fun is seeing where he takes things and what darkness lurks beneath! Downloading now!

Edited by Alan Stock

This game is great! And much longer than I thought, I'm at least 8 hours in now. 

Atmosphere A+

Gameplay is the best of any Dan Mullins game so far. The card game's really compelling and constantly adding new twists, units and encounter types. The Slay the Spire choose your mission path is really addictive and as you advance so does the meta narrative. The card game has quite a bit of depth to it, of course it can't rival the champions like Hearthstone, Slay the Spire etc, but its fun and has a cool balance of long and short term choices within the battles. For example one-use items that persist between encounters, or cards that can be permenantly powered up but require specific deployment.

It's way more polished than his previous games and just keeps getting better as it goes on. Its also much more expansive than I first thought, I felt like I was getting to the end within 3 to 4 hours but that was definitely not the case! The story and premise is, as usual, really compelling and just gets more interesting as it goes on. And of course it is comically dark.

I would definitely recommend Inscryption, and will post more impressions once I'm done with the game (whenever that is, who knows at this point!).

I think it's fantastic so far - and I'm really only very early in as far as I can tell

Spoiler

Just beaten the fisherman

There's an awful lot I'm kind of winging at the moment, but it's got me kind of hooked.

Little bit of both - playing the card game gives you more options to progress things outside of the game.

I'm quite far in now (about 7hr) and it is still giving me plenty of new and cool stuff and I'm still not sure what might happen next. I'll save the spoilers until I'm finished because would rather not have people guessing whether they can read it or not without spoiling something!

1 hour ago, strawdonkey said:

It's not been confirmed for Switch has it? Neither of the previous Dan Mullins games have come to consoles sadly.

Oh, really? I could’ve sworn it had been announced? Oh well, guess I’ll get it on PC then!

Finished this last night, was totally hooked! In the end it was much longer than I expected, but then I'd set myself up thinking it was going to be really long and ended up being gutted that it ended when it did. There are still secrets I've missed so that's an excuse to go back and play again. Some of them are obvious things I just didnt do, but I'm sure there will be an ultimate meta secret the internet has to work together to find, just like Mullins other games.

Anyway, this is by far the most expansive and deep the gameplay for one of his games has gotten, and it manages to retain that creepy/funny atmosphere for the story as well. Although the deck building aspect isnt super in depth, it embraces wild synergies and overpowered cards, which is just as well because its not only fun but helps you against the many devious setups the encounters have for you. My only criticisms are the pacing goes a bit off at times, and I just wish there was more of it! The art design in this one is miles ahead of the previous games and judging by the credits there were a bunch of artists on Insyption, which really paid off for both immersion and the more polished feel that this game has. 

I'll save spoiler chat until more people have finished the game, and maybe I can find some more stuff hidden away in the meantime. Inscyption gets a big recommend from me.

1 hour ago, Benny said:

How long did it take to finish roughly?

Hard to say exactly because I left the game idling for a number of hours. It was probably 15 or more hours, bearing in mind I spent a lot of time secret hunting and so on. Playtime will vary quite widely depending on how many runs you do, secret hunting and how quickly you progress the story. I'd say 10 hours for those who are rushing through it. 

I've started playing again already, trying out some different deck focuses and already got a horribly OP combination with my squirrels giving me free items. Love it!

@Harsin The sliding puzzles can be really tough. What it doesn't explain is that you need to imagine how the cards would react on a real board as the turn is taken, in terms of them dying off, moving or whatever. You also have to understand the exact rules of the icons. The 4th one in the cabin cupboard I brute forced the first time around without understanding it. Today I messed around with it for ages and solved it again by accident. It was only after staring at the solution for a loong time that it finally clicked why it worked. Pretty genius design really.