FOOTBALL - 2020/21 EFL League 1 & 2, National Leagues and Regional Leagues

My Team will end up  

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In “Just when you thought they couldn’t devalue a competition more” news I didn’t realise that The B Team Trophy (Papa Johns thingy) from last season is outstanding. The EFL have announced that the 2019-20 Final between Portsmouth and Salford will be played and the winners can lovingly cradle the trophy for 24 hours before the 2020-21 Final is played.

https://www.efl.com/news/2021/february/wembley-weekender-for-papa-johns-trophy-finals/

2 minutes ago, Plissken said:

In “Just when you thought they couldn’t devalue a competition more” news I didn’t realise that The B Team Trophy (Papa Johns thingy) from last season is outstanding. The EFL have announced that the 2019-20 Final between Portsmouth and Salford will be played and the winners can lovingly cradle the trophy for 24 hours before the 2020-21 Final is played.

https://www.efl.com/news/2021/february/wembley-weekender-for-papa-johns-trophy-finals/

An absolute waste of time, money and effort. Nobody who supports a League 1 or 2 club supports this competition.

What happens if the first game is postponed due to Covid? Will they reschedule it for a date after the trophy has been won by another team for the following season?

Obviously that cup is even shitter these days, but the final we were in against Southend at the Millennium Stadium was fantastic fun and a bit special. The players clearly loved it too. There was an interview with Ben Foster the other day where he mentioned the game as the turning point of his career. We had him on loan from Stoke, Alex Ferguson was watching his son play for us, Foster was amazing, and Ferguson snapped him up not long after.

11 hours ago, Fatsam said:

What happens if the first game is postponed due to Covid? Will they reschedule it for a date after the trophy has been won by another team for the following season?

Oh, please let this happen.

We're away to Rochdale this afternoon.  Rochdale haven't won a home game since October and we're unbeaten this year in the league (8 fixtures).  We've won away at Sunderland, drawn away at Portsmouth (being 0-2 up with 6 minutes left), gave Sheffield United a game in the FA Cup, beaten Accrington and also done OK at home.  Rochdale seem to have no idea how to defend but score for fun so with that in consideration, this fixture won't appear on my League 1 accumulator today.  I predict a 0-0 :D

Just saw the Crewe manager on Football Focus and the presenters were tipping them for the play offs.  No disrespect to Crewe but I love these presenters who have no idea what they're talking about in terms of League 1 and 2.  I don't think any Crewe fan in the country would have serious thoughts of Championship football next season. 

Sunderland have finally had the take-over happen.  I can still see them being a League 1 club for quite some time unless they splash the cash and totally change that squad from top to bottom. 

4 hours ago, neoELITE said:

We're away to Rochdale this afternoon.  Rochdale haven't won a home game since October and we're unbeaten this year in the league (8 fixtures).  We've won away at Sunderland, drawn away at Portsmouth (being 0-2 up with 6 minutes left), gave Sheffield United a game in the FA Cup, beaten Accrington and also done OK at home.  Rochdale seem to have no idea how to defend but score for fun so with that in consideration, this fixture won't appear on my League 1 accumulator today.  I predict a 0-0 :D

Fucking 0-0.

I really should stop putting just wins in my accumulator. Also being greedy, I didn't cash out at £70 on a £2 stake :blah:

Good weekend for Sutton with a convincing win over Wealdstone and league leaders Torquay losing at home. 4 points behind with a couple of matches in hand.  One of those matches is v Dover who have apparently unilaterally stopped fulfilling their fixtures.  They should be expelled from the league and all results reversed if this remains the case.   

Only 20 out of 44 fixtures played owing to Covid and waterlogged pitches suggest a hectic schedule for the reminder of the season so games in hand might not be particularly valuable. 

0-3 loss to Peterborough. It was 0-0 at half time. Their front four are very good and you can see why they score goals. 

We're a long way off relegation. 13 or so games to go and a 15 point gap. I think 50 points will be enough. 

Important win for Sutton last night at Dagenham - sounds as if we didn't play too well but two penalties, one in extra time, sufficed.  Having  suffered from last kick of the game goals twice I think so far, that evens the score a little.  

22 hours ago, artz said:

I'd say you're looking pretty safe, it's looking like any 4 of the bottom 7 will go down. We would have been bottom if we'd lost by 2 last night.

image.png.b6d39e593887a365de403ab1a359208e.png

Looking at that, I'd say 45-47 points is enough. What is your run in like artz? 

2 hours ago, neoELITE said:

Looking at that, I'd say 45-47 points is enough. What is your run in like artz? 

We still get to play everyone below us, but the last 4 matches look like sure defeats :unsure:.

3 hours ago, artz said:

We still get to play everyone below us, but the last 4 matches look like sure defeats :unsure:.

It's often best to play the higher ups near the end as they might have secured promotion/play off places by then.

After going to 2-3 today, we looked dead and buried but, we beat Lincoln 4-3 :omg:

Thanks to Portsmouth @Coltrane who were the only team on my accumulator not to win. Even Bristol Rovers won FFS. I had us, Crewe, Peterborough, Blackpool, Rovers and your lot :quote: what gives! I was up for £300. 

On 27/02/2021 at 17:25, neoELITE said:

After going to 2-3 today, we looked dead and buried but, we beat Lincoln 4-3 :omg:

Thanks to Portsmouth @Coltrane who were the only team on my accumulator not to win. Even Bristol Rovers won FFS. I had us, Crewe, Peterborough, Blackpool, Rovers and your lot :quote: what gives! I was up for £300. 

Yeah fair play! Good game! :) I'd have definitely been happy with a point there.

We've been super lucky the last five games, and we've got some injuries now. Not making excuses, honest! :D  Well played!  Hopefully we'll find our place in the top 6 which is about  right I reckon. Trouble is everyone's expectation is raised the minute you start over performing! 

On 28/02/2021 at 15:50, merman said:

Ipswich and Lambert start to improve :slowclap:

Takeover rumours could mean a chance of manager :facepalm:

So the word is the change of manager has nothing to do with the takeover, and Marcus Evans isn’t looking to sell.

Yeah right.

Not convinced by the Paul Cook appointment, or the return of Gary Roberts as coach.

Lost 2-0 against Northampton away on a bouncy, bobbly pitch versus a team who parked the bus, broke up play with fouls and time wasting. Their keeper got booked for it in the first half. 67% possession and we conceded two set plays. We struggle against teams that don't attack us. We've lost against Rochdale, drawn with Wimbledon and Wigan and can't seem to do anything if the opposition defend and let us have the ball. A very frustrating game to watch. 

Another injury time goal won the South London derby for Sutton last night, moving us up to second, just a point behind Torquay.  Next up a RLLMUK derby v @Fatsam,s Wrexham.  Last two matches have seen wallopings both ways, so likely a 0-0 this time around.  TV money will come in handy too.

National league still seems to be in a complete shambles though with the Dover situation  unresolved and other teams playing non contract players knowing there will be no relegation this season.

1 hour ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

Another injury time goal won the South London derby for Sutton last night, moving us up to second, just a point behind Torquay.  Next up a RLLMUK derby v @Fatsam,s Wrexham.  Last two matches have seen wallopings both ways, so likely a 0-0 this time around.  TV money will come in handy too.

National league still seems to be in a complete shambles though with the Dover situation  unresolved and other teams playing non contract players knowing there will be no relegation this season.

That was a brilliant win for you. Have you booked the diggers in to pull up your pitch yet?That table's looking really good. It's quite a sustained run of form you are in now and you were hardly losing many games last season after getting over your shit start so there's good reason to think you can keep it up. Not a bad night for us in our battle for 7th either.

Potentially it could be a decent match on Saturday. Wrexham have been better and more balanced in attack since signing Angus in the transfer window, and when on the front foot we do look threatening. We're also still sitting back too much though, are not strong enough in midfield and our number two keeper is looking a bit shaky at the moment so there's a chance he'll gift you something.

21 hours ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

other teams playing non contract players knowing there will be no relegation this season.

Also means they can play games while still furloughing players.

1 hour ago, Plissken said:

Also means they can play games while still furloughing players.

Yes, I should have noted that.  Can't blame clubs in a desperate financial state for trying everything to survive,   but it does compromise the integrity of the competition. At the very least all Dover results need to be expunged since that's a different situation where they have just packed up and stopped.

To be clear, I absolutely don't blame the clubs for doing what they can to keep going.  Finances at that level are perilous enough as it is to not take an opportunity.  The Dover guy is right to do what he did IMO and the various League leaderships have been incredibly weak.

0-0 a fair result I thought Cosmic Guru

It was the everyone behind the ball tactics from Keates that pretty much dictated the game and I thought we defended really well to be fair. I think one Beautyman shot from distance and the Bugiel header at the end were the only shots on target from Sutton, both straight at Dibble. And then we could have nicked it too with a couple of our own. I'd have liked us to have been maybe 10% bolder, particularly getting Hall Johnson on the ball down the right, but a point against the form team in the division at a ground we've never won on in the league is a decent result for us. 

Well I called it at 0-0 !. Better result for you obviously but we take the point and move on.  Crazy number of games left to play, at a time when this league is usually entering the final stretch.  Injuries and fatigue will play their part I'm sure.

Our season is fizzling out now. 0-2 against Wigan last night. No idea how we went in two goals down at half time but we did. Our goal threat is drying up. 16 shots and 5 on target but every shot was either at their keeper or hit the post (4 times) or the bar (2 times). 21 shots on Saturday and we scored one. 37 shots and a single goal is just poor. 

Staying in League 1 this season was objective number one and unless we lose all of our remaining games, we'll do that. 

We should get fans in next season so that's something to look forward to.

Ipswich on Saturday should be a good game.