FOOTBALL - 2020/21 EFL League 1 & 2, National Leagues and Regional Leagues

My Team will end up  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Sutton Utd's application to the EFL has been accepted!   We have the surveyor on board to figure out all the necessary works, are searching for a site to relocate the 4G pitch, and a club to host our first games in League 2, if that comes to pass.  All of which seems a little premature perhaps, but I suppose you have to prepare for these things.  Then there are all the financial implications of going full time, and having the Sport UK loans we have taken on to get through this season hanging around our necks....

Grinding out a result away with 2 of our front line absent is a good sign.

Next up Chesterfield away which I have a bad feeling about.

Another draw, now we're bottom of the table. It looks like we'll be playing each other next year for a local derby if we don't win our games in hand. Not much chance of sharing our ground though because I think the London Broncos* have got there first.

* Why 'Broncos'? Does London have some history of rodeos that I'm not aware of? There are thousands of more appropriate names!

They were owned by Australian NRL Brisbane Broncos for a decade and the name sort of stuck as it was their most successful period.

Edit: Checking Wiki, they returned to the name after a brief period of being owned by Harlequins.

2 hours ago, artz said:

Another draw, now we;re bottom of the table. It looks like we'll be playing each other next year for a local derby if we don't win our games in hand. Not much chance of sharing our ground though because I think the London Broncos* have got there first.

All very tight down there, hopefully you will pull clear with the games in hand (especially if vs mid-table sides like Plymouth (;))).  Sutton and Wimbledon certainly have a long history though.

3 hours ago, Plissken said:

They were owned by Australian NRL Brisbane Broncos for a decade and the name sort of stuck as it was their most successful period.

At least it wasn't the Rabbitoes!

Heh.  I just looked up the history of the Rabbitoh nickname.

The most famous story of how the club got the "Rabbitohs" nickname comes from their rugby union days at the turn of the 20th century. During that period, players wearing their cardinal red and myrtle green football jumpers, earned some extra money on Saturday mornings by hawking rabbits around the district with the traditional cry of "Rabbitoh!" echoing through the narrow streets. As they made a sale, they would sling the bunny from their shoulder and skin it on the spot, inevitably accumulating some of the fur and blood on their jerseys as they did so. When they played in those blood stained jumpers that afternoon, opponents from wealthier rugby clubs did not always appreciate the aroma and would mockingly repeat the "Rabbitoh!" cry.

I find the Aussie habit of putting "-o" at the end of abbreviated words amusing for some reason.

5th straight defeat away at MK Dons. We had the better chances throughout but an 88th minute penalty led to us losing 2-1. I don't think we'll end up in a relegation battle but the season is fizzling out. We're losing by the odd goal here and there and just need a bit of luck. We've still got to play four of the teams below us so it's in our hands to get two or three wins to finish mid table.

Our 2-2 was a bit action packed last night. Eastleigh clearly coming for a scrap right from the off, to which our more feisty players responded. Although the only player sent off was mild mannered Kelleher for us right at the start of the second half when he accidentally fell over and brought one of their players down. We swiftly gave away a penalty for an unlucky hand ball, but we were ace from that point after, thoroughly deserving our equaliser and should have had a penalty for the winner. It's weird how that happens sometimes, players lifting their game a notch and playing with a little bit more freedom because they have more to do. There was also a massive scuffle on the touchline when our manager snatched the ball away from one of their players for our throw in to be taken. They squared up, Keates was head butted and everyone piled in. The officials fucked it and just sent Keates off. 

No team is catching Sutton, but we're looking good for a playoff place at the minute. The future's coming together nicely too with Fleur Robinson from Burton Albion announced as our new CEO from the end of the season. Reading about her deep involvement in turning Burton into the club they are today and how highly thought of she is, particularly in the community side of things, which is clearly a huge emphasis for our new owners, it's hard to imagine anyone more suited to us. 

19 hours ago, milko said:

Also you’ve got me working for you (as a client, not directly employed) so things are clearly on the up :)

Nice one. Thanks for your services. The last Rllmuk member to admit to having involvement in Wrexham was the Wembley direct train driver who took me to a grisly FA Trophy final defeat against North Ferriby. I trust you are involved in something a bit more constructive.

Oh man, I would have been somewhat involved in that too, on the FA's behalf. Since I grew up in Rhyl I've always had a soft spot for Wrexham FC.

But yes, this time we are helping make you some money from advertising which means that instead of my usual 'massive banking firm' or 'evil betting company' type work it's things like a local supplier of potatoes, all good fun. [I kid, although not about the potatoes, we've worked with plenty of smaller teams and clients before] Meanwhile absolutely everybody involved is hoping to blag an appearance on the documentary, I've never seen our field techs make such an effort with their appearance before :lol:

Ah, is this the electronic advertising that one or two on our forum have been saying we're having? Looking forward to seeing your work.

That better be Peter Gwyn Potatoes by the way. They are The Chippy's Choice after all.

Funnily enough, I was thinking of getting a new hat for when we finally get to go to games again in case I ended up on camera. :lol:

I am half expecting a docu-series about Wrexham on Amazon or Netflix. Hopefully, it won't curse them like it did Sunderland.

2-0 home win yesterday against Bristol Rovers. It should have been more. A decent win and performance. Niall Ennis got both our goals. I think he's the best striker in the league. We bought him from Wolves, he's 21, really quick, great feet and so calm on the ball. What a signing @dr_manhattan^ 

I think we're safe now.

The bottom of League 1 is going to be interesting with 6 clubs separated by 3 points.

@Fatsamit is indeed Peter Gwyn! I'm not used to having a mobile number as the contact detail on these things. I think the new owner fuss will mean some bigger brands too but there's plenty of space for the locals. Your electronic boards were at Wembley for many years before heading to Wales so they're not exactly state of the art but the only non-league games before with anything like this have been FA cup TV matches. 

@neoELITEit's part of the whole deal as I understand it (not personally being anything to do with the deal myself), you can more than half expect it. I wonder if they will do it a bit differently to the ones we've had up to now.

5 hours ago, neoELITE said:

I am half expecting a docu-series about Wrexham on Amazon or Netflix. Hopefully, it won't curse them like it did Sunderland.

2-0 home win yesterday against Bristol Rovers. It should have been more. A decent win and performance. Niall Ennis got both our goals. I think he's the best striker in the league. We bought him from Wolves, he's 21, really quick, great feet and so calm on the ball. What a signing @dr_manhattan^ 

I think we're safe now.

The bottom of League 1 is going to be interesting with 6 clubs separated by 3 points.

That's great to hear, always seemed like he had the qualities to make a go of his career, just needed a proper shot at it.

Blackpool are on the march!

After our terrible start it’s taken us ages to get ourselves in the mix despite being good for most of the season. Set for an exciting run-in now.

4 hours ago, OneDvBmbr said:

Blackpool are on the march!

After our terrible start it’s taken us ages to get ourselves in the mix despite being good for most of the season. Set for an exciting run-in now.

We've got you on Saturday and I agree you seem to have hit play off form at the exact right time. 

This also coincides with me picking Blackpool to lose in accumulator bets so I take credit for your recent results.

@neoELITE

You seem to have sunk a bit lately but we do have a habit of drawing lots of home games against midtable and lower half teams. 

I see Ryan Hardie seems to be out of the team again lately. I was a bit disappointed he never got a chance with us but we had a big turnover of the playing squad in the summer. 

Listened to an interview with your owner on the Athletic podcast a couple of weeks ago and he came across really well. Similar to our owner who also manages a hedge fund firm and originally local but now lives overseas (Hong Kong in our case). 

3 hours ago, milko said:

@Fatsam I'm still enjoying working with your team, just seen the latest "Director's Cut" in the Leader gives us a namecheck and refers to Man Utd as a "smaller regional club" :lol:

Yeah I read that, all ready for Bromley on Saturday too. Congratulations on making The Leader.  They don't just write about anything in there you know! 

Our executive director Humphrey Ker being a Liverpool fan might have had something to do with that Man United comment. Those weekly columns are good, although he is an Eton educated comedian with a load of Radio 4 appearances so I'd expect them to be fairly well written. 

Top architects being brought in to draw up ideas for a new stand on the long closed Kop is pretty exciting news at the end of that piece. The recent commitment by the Welsh Government to provide some funding for that end of the ground as part of the gateway project to develop the train station area behind was happening anyway, but there is certainly more reason to be optimistic about us getting back a four sided stadium and it actually featuring a decent new stand now that we've got owners with a bit of money behind them. I'll try not to get too excited though, there's a very long way to go. 

My guess is the documentary will be a little bit different yep. Simply having Ryan Reyolds in it kind of dictates that it will be doesn't it? They've not bought Wrexham to not get involved. We'll see if that changes though. The promise is that they'll still be owners in 10 years and the goal is to make us a good side in League One by then. I'm not sure how the documentary stuff fits in their longer term plans. It's quite difficult to see how all this pans out. I mean, it's unlikely it will go that badly wrong, but we could get the Sunderland curse and spend 10 years as the only side in the National League North with electronic pitch side advertising.

From what I've seen they seem to be going about things the right way, lots of very sensible recruiting decisions to set up the money side well. Sunderland chose a rival LED supplier, it was never going to go well for them after that.

Great to see Ollie Watkins score for England this evening. A real inspiration to any young player. You don't have to start your academy career at a big club to make it. 

Is that even more money Exeter have made from an England cap @El Pibe

11 hours ago, milko said:

From what I've seen they seem to be going about things the right way, lots of very sensible recruiting decisions to set up the money side well. Sunderland chose a rival LED supplier, it was never going to go well for them after that.

I've been impressed by their approach so far, but that's particularly good to hear from someone with some involvement. 

A really tough bunch of games coming up for Wrexham next against 5 of the top 8.  First are Bromley who have just sacked their manager despite only losing 2 in 9 games, both against Sutton, and then we've got Notts County who have also just replaced their manager for some reason. Then Torquay, Stockport, and Halifax. If we are still in the playoffs after that 5 then I expect us to finish there.

Excellent job milko,the LED boards looked fantastic. I'd imagine all the local businesses will be chuffed to bits with it, and you've finally allowed our owners to have some constructive input on match day.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.8b41e887d1210ce5eb814910e793f984.png

:lol:

An ace 3-0 win for us featuring two superb finishes by Dior Angus.