IGNORED

FOOTBALL - 2020/21 EFL League 1 & 2, National Leagues and Regional Leagues

neoELITE

My Team will end up  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Completely outplayed by Notts County first half and they scored a single goal from distance. We created more second but lacked the quality to take our chances tonight. Disappointing. We'll beat Kings Lynn on Saturday, but will probably need something against in form Dagenham and Redbridge away last game of the season. Might make for a nice bit of drama for this though

I'd watch that. And I'm from Wrexham.

Two series have been ordered, to be made by Boardwalk pictures who make Last Chance U which is supposed to be good. 

1 hour ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

*cough*

Win tomorrow and we go up, simple as.  Unfortunately we play Hartlepool,  but with the crowd as 12th man...

I put a 6 game accumulator on. 3.25/1. For 6 games, that's ridiculous.

I didn't win. Torquay let me down. 

Yeah, other results didn't really go for us yesterday. We looked a bit nervous conceding 3 in what should have been a straightforward win against King's Lynn. Still ended up scoring 5 against them because they are awful at the back, but we'll need to be more robust against Dagenham and Redbridge next Saturday. A win and we're in though. I certainly would have taken that before the start of the season. 

1 hour ago, filecore said:

Well done to Sutton. National League is tough tough tough. Have a great night Cosmic!

Yep, Notts County having to rely on the Play Offs for a chance, they seem to be on a good run at the moment but anything can happen with the Play Offs

14 hours ago, filecore said:

Well done to Sutton. National League is tough tough tough. Have a great night Cosmic!

I'd add an extra tough on top of that.

I mean, why the fuck don't we have 3 up 3 down exactly? What's the argument against that these days? Is there an actual argument against it? Look at the the top of that Conference table rammed with teams equipped to do well in the football league. And then look at the same places in League Two almost fully taken up with clubs who have been outside the football league. Where 4 go up. It's ridiculous really. Particularly as the football league are happy with the 7th best team in the Conference having a chance of promotion.

An incredible achievement from Sutton. That's not a promotion aided by bankrolled millions or piling up massive debts either. They're simply a well run club. Congratulations Cosmic_Guru.

1 hour ago, Fatsam said:

An incredible achievement from Sutton. That's not a promotion aided by bankrolled millions or piling up massive debts either. They're simply a well run club. Congratulations Cosmic_Guru.

Yes.  We are a community run club.  Not so long ago (2011 to be precise) we were two leagues below National League level - I used to go to a few matches during international breaks when I had a ST at Arsenal, and I've got programmes from that league and the National South.  Prior to this we were probably best known for the famous FA cup win over Coventry (commemorated forever in the awful club anthem), although we also boast an Anglo Italian cup from 1979 and have played (but not won) a competitive match at Wembley (FA Trophy final).  

Long term manager Paul Doswell used his family firm connections to get the artificial pitch installed and income from hiring that out to local teams has been key to financial stability.  Obviously a big financial challenge awaits us now, with work needed on the ground, quite apart from re-laying the pitch (expect games to be rained off) - turnstiles, floodlights, a new stand for visiting supporters (which I suppose will lead to an end to moving around the ground).  The players will also have to go full time from their current "three quarters" status.

Doswell seemed to be partial to using his contacts book to bring in short term loanees, and to be fair this brought some success with the club - reaching the playoffs 2 years after being promoted to National League. That was a disastrous fixture against Boreham wood on an incredibly hot day in early May, where they went 2 or even 3 goals ahead in the first 20 minutes.  I was a little affected by heatstroke so I didn't even see our goals.  

Matt Grey came in last season and has worked wonders, although this was not at all obvious last season.  We had a torrid time for the most part at home, with a bizarrely glorious purple patch around Christmas.  I don't think we would have been relegated if the season had been completed but it would have been a little uncomfortable.  

This season we have just been incredibly consistent and very tough to beat, bouncing back after every defeat.  I had convinced myself that Torquay were a team of giants and would win all their fixtures comfortably but first Bromley and then Barnet were their match.  The chairman said he was more nervous awaiting the results of the Torquay fixtures than during the match yesterday and I would agree.  

Yesterday the conditions were awful.  All the video I have has a background howl and flap which suggests we were actually on a trawler on the North sea or something.  The ball was generally hoofed around by both sides.  Not sure whether there was anything in our penalty appeal.  There was that "double escape" moment and they had a goal disallowed but we hit the bar twice.  In the second half we just seemed to turn the screw relentlessly and eventually got the reward.  I remember the ground being really quiet until the second goal went in.  The crowd stayed off the pitch too and got the reward, with the players taking time out to show us the trophy up close (see earlier post).

The recent FA cup run obviously brought in cash but it's now clearly also raised the club's profile immensely internationally.  There are interested parties in the US and South Africa (not sure what their precise investment status is) and fans all over the world too.  There are also fans who moved away from Sutton and have travelled back to home matches, from places as far as South Wales, those who get the 7am supporters coaches, those who went to Scotland and Dublin in the Irn Bru trophy and those who simply have stood week in week out on the concrete.  They are the ones I'm most pleased for really.

Incredible to think we will now face the likes of Swindon, Oldham and Bradford City, all of whom I saw play at Highbury (as well as Notts County), and could draw Sunderland, a Sheffield club or Fulham in the League cup.  

It is just an incredible journey, but the system is fundamentally flawed, it's a disgrace.  It's almost as if, after decades of denying more or less any promotion to the FL, they think we should be grateful for the 2 spots we now have.    

Sign off with this!

Seat at Wembley secured for Sunday! We are the underdogs, which I'm comfortable with. Blackpool have a great record in the playoffs, and we... don't.   Seen us lose twice in the final. 2003 and 2005 at Cardiff.   Third time lucky hey! 

On 24/05/2021 at 09:55, Fatsam said:

I'd add an extra tough on top of that.

I mean, why the fuck don't we have 3 up 3 down exactly? What's the argument against that these days?

Yeah! Those "toughs" weren't a mistype. The games come thick and fast and you've got to be able to do it away at Boreham on a Tuesday night in February

I think there should be 2 auto and a playoff for the third. Top  4-5 of the conference are easily as good as the bottom 4-5 of league 2.

1 hour ago, filecore said:

Seat at Wembley secured for Sunday! We are the underdogs, which I'm comfortable with. Blackpool have a great record in the playoffs, and we... don't.   Seen us lose twice in the final. 2003 and 2005 at Cardiff.   Third time lucky hey! 

You'll get a penalty, unless they're using VAR. 

I'm sure you noticed this, but fuck me Wrexham were awful. I mean, Dagenham are basically a playoff standard team who had a very poor start to the season and I think the crowd made a difference, but we were almost completely awful. Thanks to an equally awful offside decision it somehow ended 1-1.

Bit pissed off that Chesterfield furloughed and then signed a load of new players to cheat their way in ahead of us, but we ended up where we deserved to end up. Yet another season in the conference. It beats narrowly escaping relegation like season though I suppose.

Our new CEO starts next week I think. As does the ability of our owners to splash the Hollywood cash. Sign us some above average Non League players you cunts!

1 hour ago, neoELITE said:

Blackpool. 

You haven't got a Charlie Adam though.

:omg:

Best team won can't complain. We didn't really do much. Best players didn't show their best. Ah well, that's footbal! Great day out apart from the result. Got a bit of a tan. Had an overpriced (nice) pie. Live football is ace! Bring on next season.

21 hours ago, Fatsam said:

I'm sure you noticed this, but fuck me Wrexham were awful. I mean, Dagenham are basically a playoff standard team who had a very poor start to the season and I think the crowd made a difference, but we were almost completely awful. Thanks to an equally awful offside decision it somehow ended 1-1.

Bit pissed off that Chesterfield furloughed and then signed a load of new players to cheat their way in ahead of us, but we ended up where we deserved to end up. Yet another season in the conference. It beats narrowly escaping relegation like season though I suppose.

Our new CEO starts next week I think. As does the ability of our owners to splash the Hollywood cash. Sign us some above average Non League players you cunts!

Well hopefully Notts County knock Chesterfield out for you. Though Notts County delivering when it matters is something that, historically, they've never been much good at.