Guardian Heroes - worth getting?

10 minutes ago, Tomcat said:

In Japan it can be picked up for about £30 if you're not fussed about spine cards.

I quite fancy getting the Saturn version (again, I think i sold my PAL version for £20-£30 back in the day) but I imagine the JPN version is full of text I won’t understand? I guess if I’m not interested in the story that won’t really matter...

I'm a big fan of the GBA game. You should really play the original first though and then go in to the GBA one with the understanding that it's a very different game.

20 minutes ago, StoooTube said:

I quite fancy getting the Saturn version (again, I think i sold my PAL version for £20-£30 back in the day) but I imagine the JPN version is full of text I won’t understand? I guess if I’m not interested in the story that won’t really matter...

From memory I think you do have to make path decisions like the Capcom CPS2 D&D games which would be helpful to read.

• Upvote 1

It's smoothing unfortunately but I think you can play the 16:9 remaster without the filtering. Not 100% sure though, it's been a while since I played it. 

• Upvote 1

This never lived up to the massive hype I created myself from over a decade of not getting to play it but I do think the overall look and character design is phenomenal and still pretty unique. There's just something about how it joins big circular shapes with thin limbs and joints that doesn't feel like it should work but it hangs together brilliantly.

The XBLA remaster is pretty flexible compared with many of that era, as you can turn off the smoothing and choose between the new controls/mechanics and the old. I think the UI is always the new high-def one, though.

If anyone has any questions I can fire it up to check.

GH has one of the best multiplayer modes ever.

First, unlock all characters in the game, which allows you to play every single one in multiplayer. It will take some time - there are a LOT of characters.

Then start a 6-player game with everyone selecting random. This will not only randomise the characters, but also the level of the character.

Finally, watch in awe and absolute mirth as the chaos unfolds with laser gods and giant monsters battling it out against the poor fool that randomed the snail-paced old woman that can only damage people via coughing on them. Although she won’t die because you are level 4 and she is level 99. Truly amazing stuff.

• Upvote 4