IGNORED

Mandy, written, directed and starring Diane Morgan. iPlayer.

DukeOfEarlsfield

054B7013-159C-44E9-8C4A-8D213522DD12.thumb.jpeg.6a125f3153b26587365f59daf01dc581.jpeg

Three episodes in and this is amazing. If you like your comedy dry, clever and subtle then stay away. This is a short burst of deranged brilliance where the jokes come thick and fast and ever more surreal.

No spoilers here but christ, episode 3…

Spoiler

“You don’t know Bargain Hunters? It’s what Raider’s of the Lost Ark could have been.”

19 hours ago, DukeOfEarlsfield said:

Three episodes in and this is amazing. If you like your comedy dry, clever and subtle then stay away.

Only two episodes in but I read this line before watching and got the impression it's some typical bbc mainstream crap but two episodes in and I'm finding it quite playful, it's certainly not by the numbers. It's more creative than most shows.

The whole tilted lip thing seems a bit cartoonish, reminds me of my initial reaction to gervais's 'Derek' character.

1 hour ago, ZOK said:

Is this from the iplayer short they’ve had up for ages about the woman who goes on a game show so she can get the money for a white leather sofa? I loved that, and the screw face looks the same.

I haven’t seen or heard of that but imdb’s description of the series is as follows:

A woman becomes obsessed with a sofa she has seen in a shop window. Unable to think of anything else, she goes to desperate lengths to possess the furniture of her dreams.

So I take it as a yes. Some of the episode descriptions in this are superb.

3 hours ago, DukeOfEarlsfield said:

I haven’t seen or heard of that but imdb’s description of the series is as follows:

So I take it as a yes. Some of the episode descriptions in this are superb.

Yes it is, I checked it out tonight - all six eps, pure gold. So many great bits, but I think my favourite thing of all is her crazy strut.

So if you want to watch a seventh episode, do a search for Mandy in iplayer and it will come up as a separate episode under ‘Comedy Cuts’ (or something like that). Mandy & Lola doing their thing.

16 hours ago, Capwn said:

Only two episodes in but I read this line before watching and got the impression it's some typical bbc mainstream crap but two episodes in and I'm finding it quite playful, it's certainly not by the numbers. It's more creative than most shows.

The whole tilted lip thing seems a bit cartoonish, reminds me of my initial reaction to gervais's 'Derek' character.

Typical BBC mainstream crap isn't actually crap these days. I've really enjoyed King Gary, The Other One, Ladhood and Motherland over the last year or so. Even Ghosts was pretty good. 

Anyway I'm normally a big fan of Diane Morgan but 2 episodes in I'm a bit disappointed by this. I'll persevere though obviously. 

• 1 year later...

After the brilliant Christmas episode appearing, a whole new series of this seems to have dropped onto iplayer without any announcement. I’ve watched the first three and they are good, as long as you don’t mind they’re even sillier than the first series.

On 08/01/2022 at 15:28, ZOK said:

After the brilliant Christmas episode appearing, a whole new series of this seems to have dropped onto iplayer without any announcement. I’ve watched the first three and they are good, as long as you don’t mind they’re even sillier than the first series.

Same, watched it all and really enjoyed it :D

1 hour ago, merrychan said:

Same, watched it all and really enjoyed it :D

It’s great isn’t it - we had to go back and watch series one again afterwards, and then A Very Mandy Christmas.

Will it be coming back for a series three?

Started watching this, and was disappointed to see it's another safe, cosy, unadventurous BBC sitcom. Yawn, smashing spiders with a mallet, yawn, Shaun Ryder dual-wielding pistols, yawn, voodoo heads and line-dancing, zzzzz. I may as well have been watching Call the Midwife.