Atari Lynx or Sega Game Gear, which do (and did) you like better?

Which was better, the Lynx or the Game Gear?  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

(Mk1) lynx. 

apart from the battery issue, it was a genuinely powerful handheld:

california games

chips challenge 

blue lighting 

but gauntlet 3, vertical  mode, was a missed opportunity.

I had a Game gear and really enjoyed it. I even collected a heap of games but sold them when i needed cash.

They are some great games on the system but a lot of them were lacking.

Never really had an interest in the lynx though - i played most the games i wanted to on the amiga anyway.

Back in the day it was the Game Gear for me.  Although no games looked as good as Warbirds or Blue Lightning, some of the Game Gear games were more fun, and the TV tuner and especially the Master Gear were superb peripherals.

Now I prefer the Lynx - think it has the better selection of unique games, and it's great that it still has a homebrew scene.

Years ago I would've said Lynx because it has a distinctly unique identity, was super powerful for its time and wowed me much more as a kid.

Today without question it's the Game Gear because it's got a *much* larger, better quality library of exclusives and many of them are accessible now thanks to professional-grade fan translations.

The Lynx is a really nice machine and very powerful for the time and has a great screen, but it only has just under 80 official releases and many aren't great or just cut down arcade ports. There are some great games on it, but just not enough.

Game Gear isn't as powerful, but just has so many great titles on it and a far bigger library with a lot better and more original games, so I just have to pick it. Some great original titles like Royal Stone and a Director's cut of Wonder Boy in Dragon's Trap, to name but a few.

It was definitely the Lynx for me at the time, although the Game Gear has a lot of quality titles on it (I mean, there's no GG Shinobi on the Lynx!) and of course you can play Master System games with a converter.

I've still voted Lynx regardless for this though. My own Lynx died a long time ago and I've never replaced it, but I do have a lot of nostalgia for the system. I think, of the games I owned, Paperboy, Xenophobe, Pinball Jam and California Games were the cards in heaviest rotation.

The Lynx was a powerful system with sprite scaling and zooming, which lead to a fantastic conversion of Roadblasters.  The sound was great as well, and there was a very good conversion on APB.  But every single game on the Lynx apart from those two have their own problems.  Most of the games played like shit. Fondly remembered titles like ElectroCop,Trevor McFurr in the Crescent Galaxy, Todd's Adventure in Slime World, Second Helpings for Billy, Gates of Zendocon , they are just awful games.  I remember having a Lynx and a Gameboy and although the Lynx was technically a marvel it was way to big to fit in a pocket, ate batteries like there was no tomorrow and I never used it.  Meanwhile the Gameboy had great games, like Tetris, Mario and Contra.  But to compare the GameGear...  Well it had the best version of Sonic 1, the Shinobi game called GG was amazing, Streets of Rage was great. The GameGear had poor battery life as well but it had games!  You could even use the MasterGear convertor to play Master System games. Because Atari made the same mistake with the Lynx and the Jaguar, great hardware specs but no-one wants to play a game called Trevor McFurr in the Crescent Galaxy, no-one!   And it was called a portable. It wasn't portable.  It needed wheels.

1 hour ago, Lorfarius said:

Why are you trying to play Jaguar games on the Lynx?

That's the whole era though for Atari. They made consoles with decent spec hardware then assumed games would magically appear.  Most of the games on the Lynx were written by Epyx by the people responsible for the hardware.  The third party support was weak. And the Lynx and the Jaguar are both members of the Cat family and Trevor McFur was a cat, so that is fine and makes my error entirely forgivable.

APB is one of the worst games on the Lynx.  Ruined by awful controls.  It's not a good port in the slightest.

There are plenty of great games on it though.

8 hours ago, Tomcat said:

APB is one of the worst games on the Lynx.  Ruined by awful controls.  It's not a good port in the slightest.

There are plenty of great games on it though.

I actually really like that port, one of my fav Lynx games :lol:

Just now, Tomcat said:

Looks nice, sounds nice but awful controls.  You need three hands to play it.

I'd love to play a different port of it.

Might end up on the Evercade eventually.

Game Gear for me, but it was my first ever cart-based system so i'll always have a bias toward it. Even so, you've got great games like Shinobi I & II, Sonic Triple Trouble, Ax Battler, The Illusion Series...and then you can slap an adapter on the back to play the entire Master System catalog too. 

Also the logo is great !

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTCe3v3lNH0veodmc0GcRA

I quite like Axe Battler, but when I first forked out a hundred quid for a Game Gear, I was assuming that somewhere down the line there would be an actual port of Golden Axe.  At that time, Golden Axe was my all-time favourite game, and a portable version would really have been a dream come true.

In the end I waited a few a years, and made do with the Master System version via the Master Gear.

While I appreciate that the Game Gear has some great unique titles, I think there are some games on the Lynx completely unlike anything on the other handhelds.  There's nothing remotely similar to Warbirds on Game Gear.