Planes, Trains and Automobiles is being remade

Which one is doing the John Candy role? Neither one seems right for it.

For that matter, which one is doing the Steve Martin role? Neither one seems right for it.

(I have an uneasy feeling that this is going to go the way of the Ghostbusters reboot, and the geniuses that thought this up will turn criticism of the project into a political battle to generate publicity)

If you want to see what Planes, Trains & Automobiles would look like remade with none of the razor sharp script, career best performances, wit or heart of the original then there's already a product for you.

spacer.png

I'm going to use this thread as excuse to post this quote from the late, great Roger Ebert.

One night a few years after "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" was released, I came upon John Candy (1950-1994) sitting all by himself in a hotel bar in New York, smoking and drinking, and we talked for a while. We were going to be on the same TV show the next day. He was depressed. People loved him, but he didn't seem to know that, or it wasn't enough. He was a sweet guy and nobody had a word to say against him, but he was down on himself. All he wanted to do was make people laugh, but sometimes he tried too hard, and he hated himself for doing that in some of his movies. I thought of Del. There is so much truth in the role that it transforms the whole movie. Hughes knew it, and captured it again in "Only the Lonely" (1991). And Steve Martin knew it, and played straight to it.

In the comments section of the link in the first post someone mentioned a remake of Uncle Buck.

Turns out there have been two TV series, one in 1990:

And one in 2016:

The theme tune for the 1990 series was written by Stephen Dorff. Not *that* Stephen Dorff, but the father of *that* Stephen Dorff, also called Stephen Dorff.

Amazingly, both series were cancelled.

One of the few films that was actually better on a subsequent viewing recently. My memory of it was of a quality comedy, but watching it again after a good 15 years it was amazing, full of great moments, not just the obvious ones. I'd almost totally forgotten the bit with them driving the burnt-out car, I was laughing out loud at that. Even the potentially saccharine ending felt just right after everything they went through together. It's an almost perfect film. 

So I'm totally baffled why they'd even bother, other than being fresh out of ideas. 

Just now, Mr Combo Breaker said:

How can the story even work in the age of mobile phones and uber and shit?

That's the main issue. They'll have to update the story to reflect current times, and by the sounds of the casting they'll have to adapt to the different characters too. So it'll be a Planes, Trains and Automobiles remake in name and the mere fact they're trying to get somewhere together. The film is that old now I don't think it would have that title recognition that not even Ghostbusters had. Just make a new road trip film, leave the original alone. 

As as has been noted, which one wold be the bumbling Candy and which the constantly exasperated Martin? Yes, Candy's character was annoying and constantly getting in Martin's way, but he wasn't irritating in the same way Kevin Hart does it in, say, the Ride Along films. Seth Rogen wold probably make a better Candy replacement. 

For me it’s a total waste of time. The original is amazing and a remake is totally pointless. 

However as always with these things it’s not for me. There are millions of young people who have never seen the original and will never do so. There are also enough curious 40 somethings who, when combined with the young people will probably almost guarantee a box office success. 

The scene in the car with the devil outfit always makes me laugh so much whenever I’m down. It’s a few seconds of perfectly captured silliness. 

Conversely the scene at the end makes me well up every time. Beautifully touching. 

19 minutes ago, Mike S said:

BAN REQUEST!

I’ll take it.

I’m not sure why I’ve never seen it, it’s obviously neither lack of opportunity or awareness. The only thing I can think of is I’ve a natural aversion to films where the protagonists are in a stressful situation that they deepen by their own character, like Clockwise, I think I’ve always assumed this is similar.

5 minutes ago, ZOK said:

I’ll take it.

I’m not sure why I’ve never seen it, it’s obviously neither lack of opportunity or awareness. The only thing I can think of is I’ve a natural aversion to films where the protagonists are in a stressful situation that they deepen by their own character, like Clockwise, I think I’ve always assumed this is similar.

Yes. Very much so.