Planes, Trains and Automobiles is being remade

I'm not entirely against a Will Smith/Kevin Hart comedy - it would probably be somewhere around the 2.5 to 3 star range, probably shit with Hart being annoying, but its not impossible that it could be a reaonably enjoyable comedy.

As a remake of my favourite comedy though - NOPE, NO, NADA. Why bother - just make a buddy comedy with them two in it about something else if you have to.

The only flaw with the original is Steve Martin's kids look like something out of a Children of the Corn horror movie. Otherwise its perfect.

Very sad that John Candy died so young- he could have easily had a terrrific run in a really good comedy TV show (ala Devito in Always Sunny) on top of more films and TV mini series  comedy type things.

I'm not saying they are all excellent films overall (but they all range from good to brilliant), but in this shitty year then watching Candy team up with Tom Hanks in Splash, Richard Pryor in Brewsters Millions, Steve Martin in Planes/Trains, and Dan Ackroyd in Great Outdoors plus being the lead in Uncle Buck and Cool Runnings is a good tonic for the Covid blues (add in Home Alone for a camero as well).

5 hours ago, Ork1927 said:

I'm not saying they are all excellent films overall (but they all range from good to brilliant), but in this shitty year then watching Candy team up with Tom Hanks in Splash, Richard Pryor in Brewsters Millions, Steve Martin in Planes/Trains, and Dan Ackroyd in Great Outdoors plus being the lead in Uncle Buck and Cool Runnings is a good tonic for the Covid blues (add in Home Alone for a camero as well).

Throw in (Covid) Blue Brothers for more Candy cameo goodness.

3 hours ago, ZOK said:

I think the only John Candy flicks I’ve seen are Brewster’s Millions (which I love) and Uncle Buck (which I love).

Then why haven’t you watched Planes, Trains!!!!!

I’m now concerned it’s built up and you won’t love it.

Pro tip for those with kids - the film can be turned from a 15 into a PG  by utilising the mute button during one scene.

The last 10 minutes wrecks me. You always know it’s coming in a John Hughes film, but he can switch gears on you in a heartbeat and make you look a right mug. 

Interesting that Dumb & Dumber has been mentioned. I had no idea Hughes initially wrote that and then sold it to the Farrelly Brothers who adapted it.

1 hour ago, Ork1927 said:

Then why haven’t you watched Planes, Trains!!!!!

I’m now concerned it’s built up and you won’t love it.

Yes, it’s odd...it’s like I feel so familiar with it in my imagination as it’s so culturally ubiquitous that it never occurs to me to take the step of actually watching it.

At least this remake has achieved one good thing, the original’s definitely on my priority list now.

Will they get The Bacon back?

Coincidentally I watched the Autopsy: The Last Days Of on John Candy recently. He was a bit of a poor soul. I think he was always going to die young because he didn't look after himself. The filming of Wagons East in Mexico seems to have played a big part in his death. He was struggling with the heat, hated the script and was generally miserable making it. I saw the finished product once in the 90s. It's a terrible film. Such a shame that he was so unhappy in the weeks before his death.

On 18/08/2020 at 23:05, ZOK said:

Yes, it’s odd...it’s like I feel so familiar with it in my imagination as it’s so culturally ubiquitous that it never occurs to me to take the step of actually watching it.

At least this remake has achieved one good thing, the original’s definitely on my priority list now.

And what did you think of it?

On 18/08/2020 at 13:47, Harsin said:

I hope it has lots of loooooong sections where they go off script and the director just let the stars ad-lib randomly for absolutely ages, as it always resulting in high-larious results.

Really cannot wait for this trend to die and Hollywood gets back to properly-scripted comedy. The Red Letter Media review of 2016 Ghostbusters laid this out really well. They put the failure of that film down to Paul Feig being a nice guy and letting the cast chip in ideas to the point where it was a mess of ad-libs, too many cooks and all that.

Tight direction and a solid script made Planes, Trains and Automobiles a classic. Just imagine the guys riffing in the hotel, or at the airport. Or that bit where Steve Martin is complaining at the car hire desk.