Resident Evil 4 details

stonedwal

There has to be Umbrella. That's the entire goal of the series - to take out Umbrella!

Hm.. I always thought that Umbrella as a 'super-power' would leave the scene at some point. It seemed to me that they were portrayed as this giant, thoroughly corrupt organisation, who had created something terrible which they attempted to use to their own ends, but were ultimately unable to control. Eventually the chaos they spread would consume them.

Elements of the organisation would of course continue to crop up and form a major part of the continuing plot line, but I still reckon they'd be undone by their own creations...

Wow. I think this look's really, really good and I'm really glad that Capcom seem to be attempting to progress the series rather than rehash the same ideas over and over again.

IMO the previously released resi games didn't really differ enough and the series was beginning to come stagnent with each new game playing the same as the last, just in a different level. Personally I find it quite amusing when people berate games like FIFA for not developing and changing enough while singing praises about series such as Resident Evil!

Kudos to Capcom for doing things different, they're vastly becoming one of the most interesting developers out there with titles such as Viewtiful Joe and the forthcoming Killer 7, a far cry from the 100's of nearly identical Street Fighter games of previous years!

I'm convinced that this is a hoax - those graphics look like mock-ups to me

It's not a hoax. Apparently everything from the original trailer has been scrapped and they've completely changed the direction it's going in.

That chainsaw picture reminds me of Manhunt a bit.

Here's the transcript from the GI article.

~Either 1st or 3rd person camera

~it will be in widescreen format

~health and ammo to be displayed onscreen

~camera angles are fixed to players perspective

~takes place in 2004

~there WILL be guest appearances by past characters

~no more umbrella, no more zombies

~he is hired to protect the presidents daughter, who is kidnapped

~he is led to an eerie south american village where the villagers are hunting him down(they seem to be in a sort of a trance, they wouldnt reveal why)

~same healing items (herbs, first aid sprays)

~"easily the best gamecube game we've ever seen"

~no door animations

~no computer generated pre-rendered cutscenes (everything is done in engine

~there will be bear traps and laser trip wires that you must avoid

~new aiming techniques (shoot someone in the head, it explodes, if they are running and you shoot them in the knee, they fall, etc.)

~you can shoot somebody and if you are close enough, deliver a hard kick to the chest

~you use binoculars to view different areas more thoroughly

~there will be a sniper rifle in the game

~villagers are armed with sickles, pitchforks, axes,

~they WILL throw things at you (you can shoot them out of the air if you are skilled enough)

~you can barracade doors and jump through windows

~there is a man who will chase you throughout the game with a burlap sack on his head and he is wielding a chainsaw

~you will be able to drive vehicles (a boat is the only thing reveiled)

~there is a dark level where you can only see villagers with torches, the others can only be seen when lightning strikes

~the game promises a more "humanistic" fear

~the villagers are MUCH smarter than the zombies we are used to (if you shoot at one he doesnt stand there, he may run, and if you run after him he may lead you into an area where you are ambushed by 5 or 6 of them armed with bowguns)

"Resident Evil 4: Welcome to Hicksville :unsure:"

That sums up my feelings

Resident Evil depends on its atmosphere created by the rich environments - this new direction looks like it will wreck all this

I can't understand how they have managed to discard all the previous work on the game - the movies looked superb

I suppose they may have been working on this new stuff secretly and kept showing the mansion scenes to put people off the scent

This is one of the worse things ever :ph34r:

Resident Evil depends on its atmosphere created by the rich environments - this new direction looks like it will wreck all this

I can't understand how they have managed to discard all the previous work on the game - the movies looked superb

I suppose they may have been working on this new stuff secretly and kept showing the mansion scenes to put people off the scent

Hmm... interesting. Why couldn't it be a decent game in it's own right? :unsure:

If they changed the name from 'Resident Evil' to something completely different would it suddenly become an interesting prospect again?

The game certainly looks stunning and theres some interesting ideas. The perspective sounds very much like when you have a gun equipped in Splinter Cell. But the problem with that is that view feels very restricted and slow which would of worked with slow moving zombies, but they've gone and got rid of those and put in what I guess are fast moving or at least faster than zombies, people. I wonder what the pace of the game will be like because RE games have always been slow paced, very little movement, but to me 1st person games are based on faster action, with more movement. I guess it will all become clear when we see some moving videos. I think I'd be more excited if this was a RE spin off and we were still getting a RE game that continues with the Zombies and Umbrella theme.

"Resident Evil 4: Welcome to Hicksville :unsure:"

That sums up my feelings

.::: Sounds like me a few years ago hearing 'the new Metroid' might use a first-person shooter perspective...

Hmm... interesting. Why couldn't it be a decent game in it's own right? :unsure:

If they changed the name from 'Resident Evil' to something completely different would it suddenly become an interesting prospect again?

I see your point, sprite, but I think you miss the point.

RE is all about the evil Umbrella corporation, the T/G Virus and the ongoing story of the characters against this faceless corporation and its genentically engineered mutants.

This seems to have moved away from that.

This begs the question: Why? To what end? I don't think Mikami will want to move so radically away from the backstory created over the last 5 games.

I don't think we've seen anything like everything here.

But this game, with a different main character would be excellent. But as a Resident Evil game, it seems a little odd.

Wow. Did someone arrive late and demand a change in your attitude? how dare you fold like that!!!

:unsure:

My views of latecomers remains the same.

But this game is significantly different to the old resi games that i see it as a new franchise. The rotational controls are still there so victory :ph34r:

In your opinion, I think it looks like an exciting new take on the franchise. It needed something new.

You can't understand, as you have absolutely no idea if they have or not. All the previously shown stuff could still be there for all you know.

Or they had the mansion stuff ready first show showed it, and now have this stuff ready so have shown it. Why does the release of screens from one location automatically mean the scrapping of another? They sure as hell aren't going to let us see everything before it's released.

This is one of the worse things ever  :unsure:

Oh come on, from just a few screens....that look graphically ahead of almost anything else right now.

I'm personally excited by the fact they are heading somewhere different with this one.

I don't really agree with Metroid comparison. I have no qualms about how the game is controlled or presented to us (whether it be first person, 3rd person, over the sholder, Tomb Raider view etc etc). I just don't want to see a complete detour from the story, that's all.

I remember the disappointment from Res evil 0, after stepping off the train at the start and ending up .... in another frigging mansion (just over the hill, theres another mansion too- can't get enough of that mansion mansion MANSION)

Code veronica also did this I remember, although thank God it wasn't the main part of it

Can anyone keep up with the back story anyway? T Virus, G Virus, G&T Virus, not too much ice. Currykitten sums it up perfectly, they are always working on a virus, the virus always gets out- sometimes as part of a plot, sometimes in error.

My guess on the villagers is that they are likely to be in some way affected by one strain or another of the "whatever virus". Umbrella were always supposed to be trying for some kind of supersoldier, and intelligent, fast, brainwashed villagers would I guess be one up on shambling, dumb as bricks zombies.

I'm guessing that as you progress the more traditional zombies will appear.

In fact- here's my guess for the story:

Start on Island- as seen

Get on boat to "new" destination - as seen

Arrive at Mansion and see what different paintings they have on the wall. Wonder whether the voice that counts down the self destruct sequence at the end will be male or female.