IGNORED

Gotham Knights - Oct 2022, Warner Bros. Games Montreal

Nick R

5 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Surely it means that the SS game isn't GaaS after all? I can't imagine them being so stupid that they're aiming to compete with themselves.

I hope so because I'm happy for this game to provide that loot-grind thing if Rocksteady's takes a more traditional one-and-done approach. Pretty sure that Suicide Squad will at least have some sort of online co-op though. We'll find out in a few hours I guess.

30 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Looks ok, but I don’t care about the bat family. Spending millions on a Batman game without Batman seems so odd. 

Hard opposite from me. Love the Bat family and I think it’s genius to remove Batman so you’ve not always got someone playing the real character and others stuck as assistants. I talked to my mate about this earlier, he’s super hyped to play Batgirl but also loves Nightwing. That’s great because I like Tim Drake a lot and I think angry Robin looks like loads of fun to play as. If Batman was in it we would be taking turns to play as Batman. 

I watched the gameplay walkthrough, which I missed last night and it at least looks beautiful, and at least they showed some gameplay, which seems to be a vanishingly rare occurence these days.

But I struggle to summon any excitement for this. It looks like a game designed entirely around the combat. As Batgirl went through that tower there were a grand total of zero puzzles or anything to do at all besides punch things, from the looks of things. It's just a demo, so I suspect there will be more, but I just don't see how a lot of the staple Arkham gameplay, like puzzles and detective work would work in optional co-op. 

I really hope it's not just a game about punching people.

On 22/08/2020 at 22:50, HarryBizzle said:

Looks ok, but I don’t care about the bat family. Spending millions on a Batman game without Batman seems so odd. 

My bet is Batman will be back before the end of the game.  With this being a "new" universe and not a continuation of the Arkhamverse, I think it's more likely the death is a fakeout.  Had they continued the Arkham story and brought him back, that would be the undoing of the emotional impact of another studio's series conclusion which i would class as a big no-no.  But with this being a new timeline, new story, and new versions of the characters, the veracity of Batman's death is entirely up for debate.

I expect the entire game will be faithful to the idea of the Bat family, but then at the end the Court of Owls will prove too powerful for them all, and Bruce will have to resurrect himself for a relatively short, linear and cinematic ending to the story.  That will set up a future game where they CAN use Batman, but maybe he'll be an older and slower version, meaning there are legitimate reasons to playing as the 'kids'.

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Looks alright. I liked the Court of Owls story in the comics but obviously that was built around Batman so I'm interested to see how what changes they make. 

That last sentence makes no sense at all. I'm leaving it there though, some things deserve public scorning.  How what changes they make, christ. :doh:

• 6 months later...
  • Nick R changed the title to Gotham Knights - Oct 2022, Warner Bros. Games Montreal

Red hood walking around like he has slacks full of shit doesn't instill confidence in this game tbh. 

The combat also looks floaty as hell and nothing looks like it's really connecting. 

You know what the tight combat and traversal gameplay of the original Arkham games needed to improve it? A looting-and-crafting gameplay loop so you can gradually watch your Enemy Beatdownability Numbers go up over the course of the game! Said nobody with more than two braincells to rub together.

This is up there with Mirrors Edge Catalyst's "let's have the player need to unlock basic movement abilities by accruing experience points'" in terms of utterly failing to understand the strengths of the preceding games.