IGNORED

Gotham Knights - Oct 2022, Warner Bros. Games Montreal

Nick R

7 minutes ago, Garibaldi said:

I may be rusty on my lore, but since when has Red Hood given a shit about being non-lethal? 

since the publisher of Gotham Knights decided that they wanted a lower rating for the sales bump?

Oh dear. Is this their attempt at making a Batman Destiny game or something? 

How is it Gotham manages to look more lifeless than it did in Arkham Knight, a game which came out 7 years ago?

Please be good. 

It really seems to lack that crunch you get during those arkham combos when the camera almost stutters to show the impact.

It definitely "looks nice" though but aside from that, the actual gameplay seems very average open world type stuff. Pretty dull. 

11 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Oh dear. Is this their attempt at making a Batman Destiny game or something? 

I thought it was long known that that's exactly what they were making? Arkham Destiny, combat grind presumably taking everything away that made the real Arkham games so much fun.

Anyway, maybe it will be great for me people who like that sort of thing. Personally, I can't stand Destiny or Destiny-likes. But honestly, if that's what the gameplay looks like now I'm not hopeful they'll be able to turn it around before October.

2 hours ago, Wiper said:

You know what the tight combat and traversal gameplay of the original Arkham games needed to improve it? A looting-and-crafting gameplay loop so you can gradually watch your Enemy Beatdownability Numbers go up over the course of the game! Said nobody with more than two braincells to rub together.

This is up there with Mirrors Edge Catalyst's "let's have the player need to unlock basic movement abilities by accruing experience points'" in terms of utterly failing to understand the strengths of the preceding games.

In fairness this game isn't  part of that series. WB have fucked up the marketing though as this and suicide squad (which IS the follow up to the Arkham games) have got mixed up in people's minds.

This is by the team that made the bad Arkham game everyone pretends never existed.

43 minutes ago, deerokus said:

In fairness this game isn't  part of that series. WB have fucked up the marketing though as this and suicide squad (which IS the follow up to the Arkham games) have got mixed up in people's minds.

This is by the team that made the bad Arkham game everyone pretends never existed.

It's not just the marketing. Look at that gameplay trailer. It certainly looks like a budget Arkham Knight setting, one could easily wonder whether they're reusing assets from that game. It looks shit in terms of gameplay, but otherwise it looks Arkham as fuck.

2 hours ago, Garibaldi said:

I may be rusty on my lore, but since when has Red Hood given a shit about being non-lethal? 

He hasn’t used lethal force whilst in Gotham since the start of the Rebirth era of DC.

2 hours ago, Garibaldi said:

He hasn’t used lethal force whilst in Gotham since the start of the Rebirth era of DC.

1 hour ago, deerokus said:

Ah, cool, I had misunderstood the lineage there.

(I mean, not cool, it still looks awful, but at least it feels a bit less insulting)

1 hour ago, Gigawatt said:

I thought that this one was in the same ‘universe’ as the Arkham games, but Suicide Squad wasn’t despite being the Rocksteady game?

Other way round. They've fucked up the marketing (and the aesthetic of this game as mentioned) hard.

They've made a complete hash of this.

The core theme is good. Take Arkham series, extend to Bat Family characters, use Court of Owls story for the plot. It's a tired formula now but you can probably mix it up enough to have the characters all feel different without breaking it, and if you're really clever about it you can make it so the game can be approached differently by the different characters.

But then they tacked the Destiny style loot service game on it and fucked up the core gameplay it appears and now it looks like absolute trash.

That stupid jumping traversal mechanic looked so cringeworthy (and the glider for that matter) but when seen through the eyes of another player it looks terrible. 

The rest looked like the Arkham games... but worse. 

Must be sad working on a game and being told it must be shown before it's ready.  

Why don't these people ever learn! Another loot based game and after the disaster zone that was/is Avengers.

Still, happy that we are starting to see bigger publishers dropping Gen 8 consoles. It's about time.

1 hour ago, Jg15 said:

Still, happy that we are starting to see bigger publishers dropping Gen 8 consoles. It's about time.

Nothing in that demo looks 'next gen' though.

2 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

I don't disagree, I'm just happy that a big pub is dropping last gen, it hopefully pushes others to do the same.

47 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

Missing the point. Publishers start dropping old gen means other, better, projects in the future will benefit. ie it's a good sign, it doesn't say anything about this particular game. Who cares about fucking Gotham Knights

2 hours ago, Jg15 said:

Why don't these people ever learn! Another loot based game and after the disaster zone that was/is Avengers.

Well the core loot based features of this were probably locked down  well before avengers came out.

So they know they missed the bus and its a dead genre... but they have to get it out to recoup some small amount of the money they invested. 

The devs probably know its a turkey and a dead game walking, nothing they can do but finish up and move on. 

It's a shame because the vehicle based stuff looked better than Arkham Knight there, just a bike to drive around in, no Battlezone combat, cool vehicle takedowns that create emergent combat encounters. Enough time has passed since the last game that I'd be well up for a course corrected Arkham Knight where you could play actually play with the different characters all the way through the game rather than have them relegated to hour-long DLCs. And if you're doing that then why not add some optional co-op multiplayer?

But then there's "powers" and loot and who asked for any of this?

The combat in the Arkham games was so good that I'm not averse to the idea of putting it into a different kind of game, and having a sort of Destiny-like loop where you have some kind of metagame that incentivises you to play and replay stuff isn't the worst idea in the world. All those crafting materials though, jesus. It just doesn't fit into the world in the same way that it didn't in the Avengers - I just don't see Robin as a character who'd be scavenging sterile neutrino impulses and durawood plating so he can craft a new pair of gloves that give +0.3% protection from fire damage that stacks according to the current combo.

It amazes me that people not only keep trying to make these Destiny-like games, but that they also keep getting it wrong given that there are so many examples to learn from. You would have thought that someone would have picked up the concept that these kinds of games are really hard to make, that even Bungie didn't get it right with the initial release of Destiny 1 & 2, and that the market for Destiny is fairly saturated just with Destiny itself.

14 hours ago, SaintAnselm said:

Well, I never! That’s a shame. I feel as deflated as I did when Oliver Queen stopped flat out killing goons at the end of season one of Arrow. 

Weren't WB Games thinking about selling up and exiting the industry a few years ago? I think it was basically because they were making money, but not doing gangbusters. They feel like a company with unreasonable expectations for their games and this feels like jumping on a bandwagon that they don't really understand - and which hasn't been all that successful outside of a few key titles.

8 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Weren't WB Games thinking about selling up and exiting the industry a few years ago? I think it was basically because they were making money, but not doing gangbusters. They feel like a company with unreasonable expectations for their games and this feels like jumping on a bandwagon that they don't really understand - and which hasn't been all that successful outside of a few key titles.

I think you are understating just how many huge franchises are published through wb games .