Gotham Knights - Oct 2022, Warner Bros. Games Montreal

Nick R

19 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Wait, so this is some kind of live service nonsense?

It's solo or multiplayer. (Edit- and only 2 player multiplayer, which is described as "drop in multiplayer", so I think they visit your game rathan than say making a 4 man team per mission with bots filling other slots if off line like Avengers/Anthem etc)

Gear driven "action RPG" open world

I don't think it's being present as some sort of endgame grind nonsense with raids etc

20 hours ago, Hexx said:

It's solo or multiplayer. (Edit- and only 2 player multiplayer, which is described as "drop in multiplayer", so I think they visit your game rathan than say making a 4 man team per mission with bots filling other slots if off line like Avengers/Anthem etc)

Gear driven "action RPG" open world

I don't think it's being present as some sort of endgame grind nonsense with raids etc

2 player co op ? I thought they announced ages back it would be 4 player co op ?

I imagine going back to a game running at 30FPS is going to feel almost unplayable. There really is no excuse for it this long after 60 being made the unofficial entry point.

Is there any merit to this claim it’s been sacrificed due to the demands of the coop open world? Seems like horse shit to me, especially when other games seem to manage it, but I don’t know enough about the technical side of it.

The greatest thing the latest generation of consoles has brought us is the expectation of 60fps. As soon as it became widely available the whole "30fps is fine, 24fps is cinematic - I can't even tell the difference, me" rubbish died a much deserved death.

1 minute ago, Lying Cat said:

The greatest thing the latest generation of consoles has brought us is the expectation of 60fps. As soon as it became widely available the whole "30fps is fine, 24fps is cinematic - I can't even tell the difference, me" rubbish died a much deserved death.

Truth.

I was tempted to pick it up when really cheap, assuming it would have a 60fps option. 

Now fuck that. 

In a few months time there will be a performance mode. I'm willing to take a bet on that. Some big announcement to boost sales as no one will buy it on release.

4 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

Anyone know of where to get this digitally, cheap? I know it looks crap but it’s a gift for someone who just loves Batman. It’s like €70 on Eneba. 

(Xbox version).

Looking at what people are saying, I can see this dropping in price rather quickly.

Maybe Xbox Rewards will do one of those credit deals like they did with Elden Ring to get a bit of money back from it. 

I assume the online means P2P with enemies being ‘controlled’ by one persons machine.

I also imagine it would be quite possible to have the single player mode run offline at 60fps but that would inevitably be the way everyone plays it and they don’t want that for reasons so have just hamstrung it at 30 for everyone.

The main thing that’s putting me off is the looting element which just sounds like zero fun for this type of game. I’ve got a bat cave and billions of dollars in Wayne funding and no one knows who I am, why am I finding a chest with a suit in my size or components that integrate into my gear in an ENEMY LAIR. 

It’s almost like they watched The Avengers bomb and said “cool!”. 

33 minutes ago, K said:

30fps is fine. 

No. Options are fine. We are used to getting performance and quality options now. Everyone can choose 60 if they want and you can choose 30 if that makes you happy. There's no technical reason except incompetence to have the game run at 30 and nothing else.

I would say there are certain genres where 30fps as the only option isn't a huge issue (a turn-based strategy game, for example), and certain situations where it's understandable (games coming from tiny developers who don't have the resources/skillset to optimise; games that are visually pushing the envelope).

A big budget, fast-paced action game with all the visual flair of a pair of business socks, I'm not quite so sympathetic towards.

3 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

No. Options are fine. We are used to getting performance and quality options now. Everyone can choose 60 if they want and you can choose 30 if that makes you happy. There's no technical reason except incompetence to have the game run at 30 and nothing else.

How sure are you in making this statement? Maybe the compromises required to reach a relatively stable 60fps was too great so they didn't want to spend their dev time on it and concentrate their effort elsewhere. The game has been delayed by nearly a year already.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with GTA VI and other upcoming future open-world titles, including the Rocksteady one.

I bet it's because of the technical limitations of the Series S. That needs to have cross-play with the Series X, so they both need to be 30fps.

Warner Bros probably don't want to go anywhere near the political shit-show that would arise if they released a game that ran 30fps for Microsoft platforms but 60fps for PS5, and so all platforms run at 30 to maintain platform parity.