Gotham Knights - Oct 2022, Warner Bros. Games Montreal

Nick R

One of the artists from Rocksteady dared to speak his mind on this subject and got quickly reminded of why developers should never tell it as is to the average 'gamer' on the internet, especially Twitter using ones, who are even more 'special'.

JackNicholson.jif

20 minutes ago, MansizeRooster said:

I bet it's because of the technical limitations of the Series S. That needs to have cross-play with the Series X, so they both need to be 30fps.

Warner Bros probably don't want to go anywhere near the political shit-show that would arise if they released a game that ran 30fps for Microsoft platforms but 60fps for PS5, and so all platforms run at 30 to maintain platform parity.

All they had to do was have it at 30fps on Series s and an option for 60 for the big boys. 

Like what has happened many a time with cross gen games already. 

9 hours ago, pulsemyne said:

The reason for not hitting 60 is likely cpu bottleneck. The CPU requirements are high on the PC version.

MINIMUM:

Processor: Intel Core i5-9600K (3.7 GHz) OR AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (3.60 GHz)

Memory: 8 GB RAM

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti OR AMD Radeon RX 590

DirectX: Version 12

Storage: 45 GB available space

Additional Notes: 1080p / 60fps / Low Quality Settings

That is the PC minimum requirements which results in 1080p low at 60 fps.

The new consoles have better hardware than that and when you add in all the extra performance you receive from not having to run windows and all the drivers PCs need then I'm sure this game could have a decent 1080p or 1440p mode at 60fps on consoles.

It's not a technical limitation it's a design choice.

5 hours ago, Mallet said:

MINIMUM:

Processor: Intel Core i5-9600K (3.7 GHz) OR AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (3.60 GHz)

Memory: 8 GB RAM

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti OR AMD Radeon RX 590

DirectX: Version 12

Storage: 45 GB available space

Additional Notes: 1080p / 60fps / Low Quality Settings

That is the PC minimum requirements which results in 1080p low at 60 fps.

Jesus Christ! I have a 3600 CPU, which still runs games incredibly well with my RX3070. And that’s the minimum requirement for this game, which isn’t exactly a looker. Something tells me their engine is shit 🤔

1 hour ago, PikaStu said:

Jesus Christ! I have a 3600 CPU, which still runs games incredibly well with my RX3070. And that’s the minimum requirement for this game, which isn’t exactly a looker. Something tells me their engine is shit 🤔

respect the creators vision and get your pc upgraded! :quote:

1 hour ago, PikaStu said:

It MAY possibly be that anything "lower spec" isn't available on the market any more, so that's what they have to recommend.

31 minutes ago, Lying Cat said:

It MAY possibly be that anything "lower spec" isn't available on the market any more, so that's what they have to recommend.

I don’t think so, Spider-Man’s min specs were Intel Core i3-4160, 3.6 GHz or AMD equivalent. NVidia 950ti / RX470.

That game runs like a dream and looks amazing even on lower spec machines.

I anticipate Digital Foundry ripping this to shreds.

2 hours ago, PikaStu said:

Something tells me their engine is shit 🤔

It runs on UE, just like most of the previous non-LEGO DC games from WB, so yeah, it's a shit engine ;)

The shader compilation and streaming performance on the PC port should be interesting to see.

Well, if you ever listen to Alexander Battaglia rants about it, you'd probably come to a different conclusion. I think he even prefers Unity over it at present #Stutterstruggle.

An old quote from one of the games he reviewed this year:

It would appear we have lost another Unreal Engine 4 title in the #Stutterstruggle

At some point my job is just going to be reviewing game stutters and not games on PC.

19 hours ago, MansizeRooster said:

I bet it's because of the technical limitations of the Series S. That needs to have cross-play with the Series X, so they both need to be 30fps.

Warner Bros probably don't want to go anywhere near the political shit-show that would arise if they released a game that ran 30fps for Microsoft platforms but 60fps for PS5, and so all platforms run at 30 to maintain platform parity.

Why would that be an issue? The PC version is going to have framerates all over the place given different hardware. I'm sure I read somewhere the dev's (the ones working on the game, not the guy who is probably going to have a very uncomfortable Monday) said it was a CPU issue, which would make sense given the lack of a 60fps performance mode on the machines with more capable GPU's.

19 hours ago, mushashi said:

One of the artists from Rocksteady dared to speak his mind on this subject and got quickly reminded of why developers should never tell it as is to the average 'gamer' on the internet, especially Twitter using ones, who are even more 'special'.

JackNicholson.jif

That guy isn't even working on the game, and doesn't seem to understand CPU limitations. I suspect he is not going to have a very good Monday given some of the language he has used over the weekend.

49 minutes ago, mushashi said:

It runs on UE, just like most of the previous non-LEGO DC games from WB, so yeah, it's a shit engine ;)

The shader compilation and streaming performance on the PC port should be interesting to see.

OK there’s loads of UE4 engine games on console and PC that run at 60fps and run well on much lower spec PCs… therefore their “expertise” with the engine is shit.

The problem isn't running at 60fps per se, rather the fact that quite a few big budget ones suffer from shader compilation and loading stutters. Even Epic themselves can't get it right as ForkKnife is often called StutterNite for good reason so clearly *expertise* with UE is sorely lacking in general when it comes to these long standing problems. It doesn't plague other developer's engines, not even Unity, which has interesting flaws of its own.

I still say UE3 is a better engine than UE4. Look at Arkham Knight on PS4, still one of the best looking games ever made (seven years old now), and while it was a horror show on PC at launch, it's amazing now. Shame they never patched the Xbox version, even on a Series X it's 900p. Lolz. 

18 minutes ago, Thor said:

I still say UE3 is a better engine than UE4. Look at Arkham Knight on PS4, still one of the best looking games ever made (seven years old now), and while it was a horror show on PC at launch, it's amazing now. Shame they never patched the Xbox version, even on a Series X it's 900p. Lolz. 

like this comparison by DSOGaming

image.thumb.png.5522fe0aeaeffad97025900d913716a4.pngimage.thumb.png.5b049af4523086e2e7b09170cd135a28.png

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Xbox version got a stealth patch a few years ago, they bumped up the resolution a bit.

Arkham Knight is more a product of excellent technical art direction than anything else, Rocksteady rolled their own custom UE3 variant.

The PC version is only good now because more powerful hardware became available to bruteforce past the engine limitations. Richard Leadbetter tested it a few years ago and it still happily kills more period accurate hardware if you want to aim for a stable 60fps, rather than settle for 30fps:

UE4 is a better more feature rich versatile engine than UE3, where the games got called out for having the UE look as everybody used the same bloody things on it.

That vid above compared PC version, not Xbox?

edit: Also...

26 minutes ago, mushashi said:

How do you even know the resolution of the Xbox version in the first place, did you pixel count it yourself?

I had it on Xbox One X (not series) when it was on Gamepass for a bit, this was before I had a PC. I thought I was in for a treat, what with the One X being more powerful than the PS4. But no, it looked blurry and, well, crap compared to the PS4 version. 

Also also, just google "Arkham Knight Xbox Resolution". There's a plethora of videos and articles all confirming it's still 900p, no more. There has been no patch to give it 1080p on Xbox (any Xbox).

At the end of the video, Richard Ledbetter mentions a console patch upgrading the resolution to 1600x1080, and his colleague Tom Morgan found that this also applied to the One S, not just the One X.

I played it when it first hit Gamepass, on my One X and it looked blocky as hell (900p) and haven’t tried it since, but seeing as it’s still on GP I’m downloading it on my Series X.

Did it get a PS4 Pro / PS5 patch at any point? I see it’s on Plus, but my sub expired on Saturday and I’m not gonna renew it until I complete some of my PS4 backlog.

Anyway, for those of us who don't give a toss about 30/60 fps, is this actually starting to look good? I skimmed the article in Edge and it certainly sounds like it could be. Until then I thought this was just going to be DC's take on the crappy Avengers game.

I feel like the length of development time has really worked against hype for both this and Suicide Squad. Like, it made perfect sense for Rocksteady to do something else after Arkham Knight given that we had four Batman games in six years, but now it’s seven years since Arkham Knight came out and everyone just wants to be Batman again.