Gotham Knights - Oct 2022, Warner Bros. Games Montreal

Nick R

31 minutes ago, Hexx said:

Seems an artistic choice - Apparently, it is applied globally for shadows, reflections and lighting -

Wait wait wait - what??? After all the crying about co-op being so hard, impossible to do over 30 honest - it turns out they have bloody RT applied liberally? You can't make this up :lol:

40 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Wait wait wait - what??? After all the crying about co-op being so hard, impossible to do over 30 honest - it turns out they have bloody RT applied liberally? You can't make this up :lol:

It should be optional, after all the PC version can run without it - it supports the gtx1650

The best / worst thing for me is how the lack of a countering system has been kept under wraps up until now. It’s the absolute core of everything brilliant about the combat in the Arkham games, so the lack of it is a bigger crime than any frame rate ‘decisions’.

I’m not even sure I would play this when it eventually appears on a subscription service. Fuck me, what a huge disappointment! 

It's been a long time since Arkham Knight, and I'd be up for a more RPG-like variation on the template, but all the Destiny-style gear management sounds like an absolute nightmare. I don't want to be sifting through some endless inventory, multiple tooltips obscuring the screen, while weighing up the pros and cons of +0.8% frost damage resistant knee pads versus 0.1% dodge speed increase (stacks 2x, 4 minute cooldown).

I’m currently playing through Arkham Knight and playing as Robin and Nightwing etc is surprisingly decent, so the idea of playing as these B-list characters isn’t a major turnoff (A-list being Batman and… erm…).

It’s the fighting system that makes it so playable, so satisfying. If this new game had the same mechanics I would actually be keen to pick it up at some point, even at 30fps (I still happily play PS4 Pro games, but I’d grudge that frame rate restriction on Series X).

I wonder if Rocksteady will stick with their Arkham style combat for Suicide Squad? 

This feels like that first year where Championship Manager was released without Sports Interactive being behind the actual game :lol: 

"Honestly, this is the sequel to Arkham Knight. See, Bruce Wayne died at the end of that just like the start of this. Combat? Eh, that's my department but have you seen the menus?!"

How the actual fuck can a game as monumentally brilliant as Arkham Knight be this difficult to build on?!

6 minutes ago, MardiganX said:

How the actual fuck can a game as monumentally brilliant as Arkham Knight be this difficult to build on?!

Because it's not the same dev team.

Also, I have theory about this game. Remember, this is Warner Bros, the same WB who have cancelled TV shows and Movies completely for a tax write off. I'm willing to bet this was going to get written off for the same reason, because the WB execs are clueless bean-counting dipshits, not realising this is a completely different medium and therefore does not qualify for the same tax write off*. So the only way they can recoup some of their investment is to actually sell the fucking thing. 

*I have no idea if this is true on not. 

10 minutes ago, Thor said:

Because it's not the same dev team.

Also, I have theory about this game. Remember, this is Warner Bros, the same WB who have cancelled TV shows and Movies completely for a tax write off. I'm willing to bet this was going to get written off for the same reason, because the WB execs are clueless bean-counting dipshits, not realising this is a completely different medium and therefore does not qualify for the same tax write off*. So the only way they can recoup some of their investment is to actually sell the fucking thing. 

*I have no idea if this is true on not. 

Yeah, that was kinda my point. Why even let another dev team suggest so blatantly this is the follow-up to Arkham Knight when its clearly not and now the reputation of that license is in the shit.

I know Suicide Squad is meant to be the real next chapter in what the Arkham Knight devs did, so remain hopeful that will be the evolution of one of the greatest open world games ever made.

43 minutes ago, MardiganX said:

This feels like that first year where Championship Manager was released without Sports Interactive being behind the actual game :lol: 

I wonder how many people they conned with that trick? I remember giving a demo of it a go and it was an absolute shit show. 

That DF video is scathing.

Aside from resolution and the annoying ray tracing gimmick it really looks worse than a lot of last gen games including Arkham Knight. Baffling. And in terms of resolution I'd rather have 60 FPS than native 4k of a meh looking game 🤔🤔

Forget the technical issues this game may have. Every single aspect of the gameplay looks hugely inferior to Arkham Knight, from the combat to the vehicle. Interacting with and then using the Batmobile was a special gaming experience, but the cycle in GK looks absolutely no fun at all. Maybe the footage I've seen is selective in how it demonstrates these core gameplay mechanics but it just looks slow, boring and miles away from what made playing as Batman so good.

Sounds like it’s going to be entertaining fluff but not in the same league as the Arkham titles.

I can live with that…I also thought Arkham Origins was very underrated.

Also playing on PC so might even get 60fps 😂😂

It’s going to be a wait until it hits £20 on CD keys or reaches Gamepass one though

5 hours ago, MardiganX said:

I know Suicide Squad is meant to be the real next chapter in what the Arkham Knight devs did, so remain hopeful that will be the evolution of one of the greatest open world games ever made.

Suicide Squad…the game everybody was crying out for Rocksteady to make next!!!

Said no-one. 

Ever.

I’m sure it’ll be great, mind.

3 hours ago, dreamylittledream said:

Also playing on PC so might even get 60fps 😂😂

I’m actually interested in seeing how it looks and runs without raytracing. 

I assume the “recommended” specs are so high because it doesn’t have DLSS, so to have full RT at anything above 1080p you need a bit of a beast!

Edit: so the Series S version uses cube maps, not raytracing. So why not have that as an option on the more powerful consoles?!