Powerpuff Girls getting live (!) sequel

JohnC

• 6 months later...

They've cast the main trio. Chloe Bennet, Dove Cameron and Yana Perrault. I know Bennet from Agents of SHIELD. Cameron is from Disney's Descendants, which I've not seen. She spent a bit of time in Agents of SHIELD too. Perrault is apparently a musician and stage actor.

https://deadline.com/2021/03/the-powerpuff-girls-chloe-bennet-dove-cameron-yana-perrault-cast-blossom-bubbles-and-buttercup-cw-pilot-1234709956/

First time hearing about it, and did the drewblinking.gif reaction, mainly because the cartoon is such chaotic joy.

But that set-up sounds alright, as long as the final tone is right.

• 1 month later...

The three girls

odINF5i.jpg

Also cast Donald Faison as Professor Drake Utonium, Nicholas Podany as Jojo Mondel and Robyn Lively as Sara Bellum. Tom Kenny is back as the narrator.

Seems similar to how an evolved and more adult Power Rangers TV show could evolve. 

I've always thought a reimagined Power Rangers series, done in the style of something like Arrow, would be an interesting project. 

• 1 month later...

So the CW is sending this back to film a reworked pilot. Which makes you think how bad it must've been for the CW to say "fuck no".

There does appear to be a leaked script all over twitter that's full of sex jokes. "Bubbles likes being on her back lolololol".

Ha, had no idea about any of this but when I saw the topic title I thought “Chloe Bennet” 

For something I didn’t know was a thing moments ago...I’m now fascinated by whatever car crash this appears to be.

52 minutes ago, Gambit said:

So the CW is sending this back to film a reworked pilot. Which makes you think how bad it must've been for the CW to say "fuck no".

There does appear to be a leaked script all over twitter that's full of sex jokes. "Bubbles likes being on her back lolololol".

This bad:

ppg.pdf

Basically, it's all woke-jokes, Buttercup (or Bubbles?) fucking everything with a pulse, and the Professor being a controlling arsehole.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/cw-powerpuff-girls-pilot-wrong-1234958728/

The CW’s chairman and CEO has weighed in on the network’s decision to bench its Powerpuff pilot.

Speaking to reporters during a press call Tuesday, Mark Pedowitz was asked about the decision to rework the classic animated series into a live-action show.

“The reason we do pilots is, sometimes things miss,” Pedowitz said. “We believe in the cast and in [writers Diablo Cody and Heather Regnier] and [executive producer Greg Berlanti] and studio Warner Bros. In this case, the pilot didn’t work. Because we see enough elements in there, we wanted to give it another shot. It may have felt a little too campy and not rooted in reality. You learn things when you test things out. We felt, ‘Let’s take a step back and go back to the drawing board.’ This is a powerful property, it engaged a lot of interest, and we want to get it right.”

The answer came on the heels of the script allegedly leaking online Monday, with some rather adult content in the purported dialogue. One scene had Blossom threatening to leak Buttercup’s nude photos and interrupting her sister’s marathon sex session, while the dialogue included lines like, “Life, is one big hate boner.”

When asked if the leaked script was accurate, Pedowitz gave a non-denial answer, saying he hadn’t seen the article.

We'll take that last paragraph as confirmation that it's real.

29 minutes ago, Gambit said:

Ahh. Didn't know Diablo Cody was involved as writer. I loathe Juno with a passion so that would explain the terrible script dialogue.

What's up, home skillet?

2 hours ago, Gambit said:

Ahh. Didn't know Diablo Cody was involved as writer. I loathe Juno with a passion so that would explain the terrible script dialogue.

She wrote Jennifer's Body so I give her a pass, and beside she's writing only 1 episode.