Jump to content

Tell Me Why - DONTNOD -


Recommended Posts

The first chapter of the next 3 part episodic game from DONTNOD - Tell Me Why - is out on Friday and I couldn't see a thread. I'm always interested in what these guys put out and it looks to keep to the traditions set by the LiS series.

 

Quote

Tell Me Why is the latest narrative adventure game from DONTNOD Entertainment, the studio behind the beloved franchise, Life is Strange. In this intimate thriller, twins Tyler and Alyson use their special bond to unravel mysteries of their loving but troubled childhood. Set in beautiful small-town Alaska, Tell Me Why features true-to-life characters, mature themes and gripping choices.

 

Anyway, it's going straight on Gamepass on both Xbox and PC so there's no reason not to give it a whirl!

 

Episode 1:
August 27, 2020
Episode 2:
September 3, 2020
Episode 3:
September 10, 2020

 

Here's the first trailer:

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don`t know why but I`m a sucker for small town America dramas. Loved the studios` other games and I`ll be all over this. I do not like episodic releases, though, so I guess that`s me waiting through the inevitable delays and not getting to play this until this time next year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Rayn said:

I don`t know why but I`m a sucker for small town America dramas. Loved the studios` other games and I`ll be all over this. I do not like episodic releases, though, so I guess that`s me waiting through the inevitable delays and not getting to play this until this time next year.

Its three episodes literally being released within a week of each other.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m starting to feel a bit guilty now because I’ve increasingly come to love DONTNOD’s output yet I’ve never paid a penny for any of their games :unsure:

 

I got Life is Strange through PS+, played Before the Storm and Life is Strange 2 through GamePass, and I’ll be all over this tomorrow, again through GamePass. 
 

I don’t know the financial arrangements that gets games onto these services but I assume it’s working well for them or they wouldn’t keep doing it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Garwoofoo said:

I’m starting to feel a bit guilty now because I’ve increasingly come to love DONTNOD’s output yet I’ve never paid a penny for any of their games :unsure:

 

I got Life is Strange through PS+, played Before the Storm and Life is Strange 2 through GamePass, and I’ll be all over this tomorrow, again through GamePass. 
 

I don’t know the financial arrangements that gets games onto these services but I assume it’s working well for them or they wouldn’t keep doing it. 

 

MS have paid DONTNOD for full exclusivity of this, I wouldn't worry about feeling guilty for not paying for it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted this is the game pass thread but wondering if anyone else experiencing this....

 

I’ve upgraded to game pass for the first time to play Tell Me Why. 
 

After installing it, I keep getting a message asking me if I own the game and to insert the disc or buy it from the Store. 
 

Anyone else getting this? How do I resolve it? Other games from game pass work fine. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, fattakin said:

How long is it? I’ve got tomorrow night wife and child free, apparently all going to bed for movies and sleep.  I reckon I’ll get 3/4 hours peace!

 

Took me about 3 hours I'd say, just taking my time.

 

Now I've slept on it, it's just a really great first episode. I like the characters, the setting is stunning. Couldn't put the pad down. It ends on a banger too. I'm completely sucked in.

 

I liked but didn't love LiS2. It felt like hard work at times. This seems way better so far.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Didn't manage to finish the first episode last night but liked what I played. It's quite low-key and understated, feels a bit more subtle than LIS (1 at least, I never bothered with 2). The main characters are well drawn and there's just enough of a hook there in terms of finding out what actually happened in the past. Seems like a good job in terms of minority representation too but I'll let the trans community be the judge of that.

 

It's a bit of a looker on the One X too, which I wasn't expecting. Huge jump over LiS 1 visually.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Majora said:

Didn't manage to finish the first episode last night but liked what I played. It's quite low-key and understated, feels a bit more subtle than LIS (1 at least, I never bothered with 2). The main characters are well drawn and there's just enough of a hook there in terms of finding out what actually happened in the past. Seems like a good job in terms of minority representation too but I'll let the trans community be the judge of that.

 

It's a bit of a looker on the One X too, which I wasn't expecting. Huge jump over LiS 1 visually.

 

 

That's a shame. I think Life is Strange 2 really suffered from being associated with the original title. I knew nothing about the game and started playing it a couple of days after the murder of George Floyd and boy did I need a minute after that first episode. Fantastic  game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, SweatyTravolta said:

 

That's a shame. I think Life is Strange 2 really suffered from being associated with the original title. I knew nothing about the game and started playing it a couple of days after the murder of George Floyd and boy did I need a minute after that first episode. Fantastic  game.

 

Yeah, the feedback for the second game was all over the spectrum and I could never quite work up the enthusiasm to start it. I think it's left GamePass by this point too?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, SweatyTravolta said:

 

I think Life is Strange 2 really suffered from being associated with the original title.

 

This is correct, I think. It's a much more subtle game that has a lot to say about minorities and the way they are treated in modern America. I also think the relationship between the two main characters is much stronger than it was in the first game (although that might just be because I genuinely liked both Sean and Daniel, whereas sad sack Max and rebel without a clue Chloe never really grew on me).

 

The crossovers between the two games are extremely minor as well, there are a couple of references and one minor returning character but they're more Easter Eggs than anything that directly impacts on the story.

 

I keep banging on about Life is Strange 2 but I genuinely think it's a minor classic. Anyone who likes narrative games at all really should give it a shot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just finished the episode, and really enjoyed it too. It's basically a new Life Is Strange game, with its mix of grounded drama and the supernatural, although it feels a bit more low key than those games so far. The stakes are lower too, with a mystery to be solved but no looming threat to worry about. At least, not yet. :ph34r:

 

Anyway, there's not long to wait for part 2. :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Finished the first episode. A few clunky lines of dialogue and slightly overwrought moments aside, it feels like a step up in writing from LiS 1. Both are firmly in young adult fiction territory but Tell Me Why is more subtle, with many more shades of grey. 

 

This is most obvious in the way the siblings feel about their mother, a confused, conflicted melting pot of a hundred different emotions and memories. Initially they speak of her with such disdain that you really believe she was a terrible person and that they hated her. Of course things are not that simple and while there is clearly a lot of resentment there, there are many moments when they briefly soften, or are able to look at things from a different perspective. As someone who grew up with a mum who I do believe loved me and my sister dearly but could be extremely emotionally volatile, and who spent several years hating my sexuality, large chunks of this hit all too close to home. It can take a bloody long time to reconcile the good moments with the bad moments and come to peace with things and I thought this episode did a really good job of showing at least the start of that journey.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Made a start on this last night, the sombre wander around the house was very well done, including the build up to the bedroom.

 

Liking the setting as well (I'm assuming its Alaska), very cold and bright but a perfect backdrop to the story.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.